Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British columbia

British columbia

Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British columbia

Originally Posted by acer rose
It may be the first time this bridge has been out of action for so long but bridge troubles are well known. When I moved here the most common advice I got from locals was "don't have more than one bridge on your commute".
I usually do two bridges or tunnel and a bridge, time it right and it is often not too bad. Not ideal, but I would not let it dictate where I live. My surroundings are far more important to than the inconvenience of a bridge or tunnel.

At the height of the traffic I use 16th and the Massey, 75 - 90 minutes to YVR tops usually. Might use this route a bit more for a while and maybe allow a bit more time. One thing is I don't have to worry about missing the flight!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:41 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I usually do two bridges or tunnel and a bridge, time it right and it is often not too bad. Not ideal, but I would not let it dictate where I live. My surroundings are far more important to than the inconvenience of a bridge or tunnel.

At the height of the traffic I use 16th and the Massey, 75 - 90 minutes to YVR tops usually. Might use this route a bit more for a while and maybe allow a bit more time. One thing is I don't have to worry about missing the flight!
Not saying it can't be done but 75+ min at each end of the working day is not what many people are looking for from their new Canadian life!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:12 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the first time this bridge has been out of action for so long but bridge troubles are well known. When I moved here the most common advice I got from locals was "don't have more than one bridge on your commute".
It has always amazed me that there are so few bridges here over such a long stretch of river. Thinking of London, and all the bridges over the Thames, and even where I come from - Bristol - where there are a number of bridges to choose from. That was a sound bit of advise you were given. I love Maple Ridge, but the darned bridges are a huge issue, living here. However, when we first moved here 30+ years ago, there was no traffic to speak of. Now it's like rush hour all day.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying it can't be done but 75+ min at each end of the working day is not what many people are looking for from their new Canadian life!
Lots do it. There are quite a few who commute out of Abby, I have a colleague who comes out from Chilliwack, albeit we don't have to do it every day and the time of day changes.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:31 am
Just Joined

ptangptang is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd try contacting a few of the local plumbing outfits directly to enquire about their current employment opportunities. Whilst there's plenty of work in progress, we're seeing a definite slump in new construction starts in BC so the effects may be felt most by the trades over the next year or so - no worse than the UK mind, just don't delay in opening up as many opportunities as you can.
Far fewer construction recruitment agencies here than I remember dealing with in the UK and most tradesmen I've come across are directly employed. Try www.mcabc.org for a list of some contractors in the province.
Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:38 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
we are looking to recce BC in March and hopefully secure a few job interviews / meetings before we head out there.

i understand however, that the BC construction industry (as per the UK's) suffers quite acutely at the very start of any economic adversity and as luck would have it *sarc*, that happens to be the industry my office based experience lies within.

but we shall persist and also hope to check out the housing situation to the east of Vancouver, in Surrey / Burnaby / New Westminster etc.... although probably not as far east as Abbotsford.

if anyone can suggest / advise as to a 'favourable' region of housing / recruitment, we would of course be grateful to limitless proportions!

what are the sort of commuter times for people living in such areas? i suspect that most of our employment opportunities would lie within Vancouver itself?
I live in Vancouver (kitsilano) and work in Burnaby. I drive and it only takes about 20 mins in the am (i leave home at 0630) and 35-40 mins in the evening.

Burnaby has some nice areas. The north is better. Some really neat places around capitol hill/willingdon heights and only a quick 15 min drive to the gas town area of downtown. Is a neat area, with a lot of Italians in the area. Great restaurants, stores etc and the prices are lower than vancouver. Very low crime - real sense of community.

I should stay away from the south east part of the city which boarders \New Westminster. It is a hodge podge of lower income housing and rental units. THe city has done a good job of cleaning it up but there are still a lot of lossers. I should know, I'm a cop in Burnaby and worked that area in patrol for 4 years. I also worked north Burnaby and it was much more subdued.

New West is a bit of a mixed bag - some good areas, some bad. Queens Park has some really neat turn of the century homes. The quay is where the condos are and is right on the skytrain route - 25 mins downtown. The main street is a bit of a mecca of all kinds though and is bit on the rough side.

New West has some real bargins as far as housing goes, but you have to look around for the diamond in the rough. Prices are about half of vancouver and really not much more expensive than Manchester. Nice detached house for around 500,000 dollars. Condos and townhouses are even cheaper.

Surrey is a shit hole - although the south is ok especially the white rock area. I really would not recommend Surrey although you find good deals out there. Serious gang problem with the East Indian gangs - again i know - i work them.

Port Moody is nice and is about 40 mins. Real family area though. Beautiful homes on Hertigage mountain. NIce place for around 600,000. 50 mins at least to down town.

North Vancouver is another really nice option and is about the same as Burnaby, although you have to cross the lions gate bridge which can be a nightmare in rush hour. I was stuck on the bridge one time for an hour!Great place though, close to the ski hills and really nice neighbourhoods - very popular with Brits. West Van is next to North Van and is very old school and very stuffy although incredible multi million dollar homes. Very boring.

There is also the east and south side of the city which is cheaper. Lots of options. Feel free to look me up for a beer and I can explain the lay of the land to you.

Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:47 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you can give a bit more info about what kind of area and house you're after (i.e. your budget, what sort of place you want, etc) then there will probably be lots of suggestions from people that live in Vancouver.

I'm not one of them yet, but heading to Vancouver later this year - planning on settling in North Vancouver (also not a city person but hubby needs to commute to Burrard Street so that's our best option I think!).

Good luck with it all.
North Vancouver is nice. I live in kitsilano on the south end of the Burrard Bridge. You can get the sea bus over from the north shore if u dont want to take the car. It stops right at the end of Burrard street and hooks up with the skytrain. Short walk and you are in the heart of the city.Transit is very reasonable by British standards.Driving can be a issue because of the lions gate bridge.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Two bridges twice daily keeps me honest (Oak St & Alex Fraser), but it's against traffic so rarely a problem; 35 minute commute at either end of the day and a (usually) reliable highway.

It's certainly something to keep in mind though; where you will most likely be working is certainly an important factor in choice of living area - lots of nice bits in and around Vancouver so no need to choose one that means you'll spend hours in a car every day.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I am not a plumber, but you hear the 'usual UK plumber stuff' when I go to sites..

'$200 to look at a shower head, a week later and $300 more to repair it'.

Quote from one of our 'electrical' customers a few weeks back.

cheers
Jerry
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
North Vancouver is nice. I live in kitsilano on the south end of the Burrard Bridge. You can get the sea bus over from the north shore if u dont want to take the car. It stops right at the end of Burrard street and hooks up with the skytrain. Short walk and you are in the heart of the city.Transit is very reasonable by British standards.Driving can be a issue because of the lions gate bridge.
Thanks for that. Hubby is planning on getting the Seabus, and then walking from there. Will make a nice change from his 90 minute commute on packed trains at the moment!!

Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Hubby is planning on getting the Seabus, and then walking from there. Will make a nice change from his 90 minute commute on packed trains at the moment!!

We took the sea bus during rush hour just to see what it was like - fantastic. Roomy, comfortable, not crowded at all and a very relaxing way to commute.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Good luck to you all! How long did it take you to get through the process, how did he get the job?

I see we are not a million miles apart. We live in Berkhamsted at the mo.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Good luck to you all! How long did it take you to get through the process, how did he get the job?

I see we are not a million miles apart. We live in Berkhamsted at the mo.

Thank you. No, not far from you at all! We're going via an intra-company transfer, his company has 2 offices in Canada (plus various others across the world). He currently works in their head office in London but is being sent to Vancouver on a transfer.

Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I've just read your post on having second thoughts. I'm sure this is very natural, especially if you live and are close to your family.

We have been talking about emmigrating for some time, but just can't decide on what country?!

Canada, France or New Zealand - whichever we decide, it will take lots of courage from people who have never ventured very far at all!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:29 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad view for his morning commute either
Attached Thumbnails British columbia-july-08-510.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.