Reload this Page >

British Citizenship

British Citizenship

Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

1sam1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship

Hi folks!

I am a medical student in Canada, looking to do some training in London. i found out that it is easier to do this training if you are a British Citizen. I have always wanted to become British, so hopefully I can. Here is a little background. Father immigrated to Britain from India, 40 yrs ago, and holds UK, US, and Canadian citizenship. He was naturalized. Mom is only Canadian and US. I was wondering what I would have to do to get British citizenship and all its attendant rights. I do understand that there are many such threads, but I have looked through as many as I could and was still unable to find what I needed.
Thanks!
Sam
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizenship

Originally Posted by 1sam1
Hi folks!

I am a medical student in Canada, looking to do some training in London. i found out that it is easier to do this training if you are a British Citizen. I have always wanted to become British, so hopefully I can. Here is a little background. Father immigrated to Britain from India, 40 yrs ago, and holds UK, US, and Canadian citizenship. He was naturalized. Mom is only Canadian and US. I was wondering what I would have to do to get British citizenship and all its attendant rights. I do understand that there are many such threads, but I have looked through as many as I could and was still unable to find what I needed.
Thanks!
Sam
Have you looked at the UK Border Agency website? That has a fairly good section on whether you would be eligible for citizenship. Presumably you weren't born in the UK?

I thought that you would only be eligible if your mother was a British citizen at the time of your birth but that's only from my vague recollections so could well be completely wrong!

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

Thanks!
Sam
If your father was registered or naturalised as British in the United Kingdom (not in a colony, necessarily) before you were born, and your parents were married then you are probably a British citizen by descent.

Do you have a copy of his British naturalisation certificate? If so, then apply for a British passport.

If planning to study in Britain see:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule

Also, would your UK medical study be recognised in Canada or the US?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

1sam1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if he has his naturalisation certificate, as it has been 40 yrs, but I will definitely ask. He was naturalized in the UK, though he later moved to Canada and married my mother.
In Re: equivalency of training. I don't want citizenship to save on tuition, but rather to fall into the UK quota rather than the IMG (international medical graduate)- non immigrant quota. According to the Post graduate medical dept at UofT, this is a recognized fellowship.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your father was registered or naturalised as British in the United Kingdom (not in a colony, necessarily) before you were born, and your parents were married then you are probably a British citizen by descent.

Do you have a copy of his British naturalisation certificate? If so, then apply for a British passport.

If planning to study in Britain see:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule

Also, would your UK medical study be recognised in Canada or the US?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if he has his naturalisation certificate, as it has been 40 yrs, but I will definitely ask. He was naturalized in the UK, though he later moved to Canada and married my mother.
A naturalisation certificate is an extremely important document and should be treated with utmost care. If he has lost his, he needs to get a new one, otherwise he will have terrible problems replacing his British passport if it is lost, you will also have some problems proving you are British.

Apparently, the Home Office have lost all naturalisation records between 1969 and 1986:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...nship/contact/