Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit in Regina

Wikiposts

Brit in Regina

Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:00 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brit in Regina

Originally Posted by dboy
i spent 6 god awful months there. Never been back since. Its crap. Dirty, boring, full of pissed up natives, freezing cold in winter, and humid in summer. Very few shops or interesting restaurants, not much in the way of night life. Did have very cheap real estate when I was there. Not sure about now.
I think this should be added to the wiki.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprognut
Came over here to do long haul doing something called wild card so we cover all of Canada and all the USA so have seen a bit. Lets stick with Canada ey, ON wet snow, wet, cold, great lakes and wild life. MB wet all year round well is when I pass through there, lots and lots of Mormons lots nice and friendly ppl. SK (Regina Stoon) farms farms and more farms flat has the ex lol. AB lots and lots of ppl flat till you get to the Rockies which are amazing but dam scary to drive in winter pulling 59000 lbs gets hit hard with the winter storms got stuck there last months. BC Rockies and wet and way way too many ppl.
Well - 3 million in Alberta and it's the size of Britain and France! But more than in Saskatchewan, that's fo' sho'!

BTW half of Calgary is from Saskatchewan.

There's a couple of Saskatchewan jokes too.

"There's a sign on the highway into Alberta that says, could the last one leaving please turn out the lights."

"There's a new form of child abuse in Saskatchewan: people are leaving their farms to their kids!"

And there's a sign on the outskirts of Biggar Saskatchewan

The people are great.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:40 am
J.T
Just Joined

J.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Well - 3 million in Alberta and it's the size of Britain and France! But more than in Saskatchewan, that's fo' sho'!

BTW half of Calgary is from Saskatchewan.

There's a couple of Saskatchewan jokes too.

"There's a sign on the highway into Alberta that says, could the last one leaving please turn out the lights."

"There's a new form of child abuse in Saskatchewan: people are leaving their farms to their kids!"

And there's a sign on the outskirts of Biggar Saskatchewan
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...ar-Sask-04.jpg

The people are great.
I think the days of masses of people leaving Saskatchewan for Alberta are long gone. The trend is the other way round now.
Been in Saskatoon for 5 years and had spent time in Victoria, Calgary and Edmonton. Saskatoon is by far the best place to live for expats. Friendly with a stable economy that welcomes immigrants. Small enough to not feel like a city but big enough to have all the amenities you need.
Now...Regina however, is slightly different. Government city so all the scum in the province live there so the welfare cheques dont have so far to travel. Would avoid Regina like the plague.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:58 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.T
I think the days of masses of people leaving Saskatchewan for Alberta are long gone. The trend is the other way round now.
Been in Saskatoon for 5 years and had spent time in Victoria, Calgary and Edmonton. Saskatoon is by far the best place to live for expats. Friendly with a stable economy that welcomes immigrants. Small enough to not feel like a city but big enough to have all the amenities you need.
Now...Regina however, is slightly different. Government city so all the scum in the province live there so the welfare cheques dont have so far to travel. Would avoid Regina like the plague.
Oh dear, a good post ruined by exageration and 'hatred'?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.T
Congrats on having such a notable first post.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:05 am
J.T
Just Joined

Congrats on having such a notable first post.
Thankyou. I tried to make the second one less notable for fear of having an opinion offend someone.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

That wasn't an opinion, that was a knee jerk reaction.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:44 am
J.T
Just Joined

Wink Re: Brit in Regina

That wasn't an opinion, that was a knee jerk reaction.
I know its not long compared to many posters, but observations built over 5 years hardly constitutes a knee jerk reaction.
I'm confident that if the op comes on a recce, he will agree with mine, and several other assessments of Regina. Mine wasnt the only "slightly" negative one. Maybe these true opinions could save him an air fare.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:51 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.T
Originally Posted by J.T
I know its not long compared to many posters, but observations built over 5 years hardly constitutes a knee jerk reaction.
I'm confident that if the op comes on a recce, he will agree with mine, and several other assessments of Regina. Mine wasnt the only "slightly" negative one. Maybe these true opinions could save him an air fare.
Hardly slightly negative ,
I have friends who grew up in Regina, Saskatoon and other areas of SK and actually the Majority opinion is that Regina is the better place to be.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:55 am
J.T
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hardly slightly negative ,
I have friends who grew up in Regina, Saskatoon and other areas of SK and actually the Majority opinion is that Regina is the better place to be.
And thats the great thing about an opinions.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

One winter flying to Calgary from London the plane stopped in Regina. Looking out the window all I could see was grey, flatness, swirling wind/snow/dust. I vowed never to step foot in Regina again - not that my foot had actually stepped...

A couple of years later I lived on the outskirts of Regina for a year, so never say never. I enjoyed Regina - not an opinion, an experience! Yes, there's a large native population, but..... "all the scum in the province." I think they've a right to live wherever they want!

I met lots of good people in Regina and made some good friends. I enjoyed the summers, and survived the winters. I got back into bike riding again, and went for long rides on a ribbon of road surrounded by sky it seemed.

Regina has a lot going for it.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:31 am
J.T
Just Joined

One winter flying to Calgary from London the plane stopped in Regina. Looking out the window all I could see was grey, flatness, swirling wind/snow/dust. I vowed never to step foot in Regina again - not that my foot had actually stepped...

A couple of years later I lived on the outskirts of Regina for a year, so never say never. I enjoyed Regina - not an opinion, an experience! Yes, there's a large native population, but..... "all the scum in the province." I think they've a right to live wherever they want!

I met lots of good people in Regina and made some good friends. I enjoyed the summers, and survived the winters. I got back into bike riding again, and went for long rides on a ribbon of road surrounded by sky it seemed.

Regina has a lot going for it.
Why did you associate "all the scum in the province" with "large native population"?? Not sure thats P.C
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

At least your post count is going up.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:47 am
J.T
Just Joined

At least your post count is going up.
Not worried about the number of posts. Just concerned at your obvious dislike for our fine first nations communities. I assume you dont want to answer my previous question then.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

mrwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

I get the feeling there is some rivalry between Saskatoon and Regina?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.