Reload this Page >

Brit in Regina

Brit in Regina

Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

mrwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit in Regina

Hi all
I may be offered a job in Regina SK, I was planning on moving to BC but beggers can't be choosers and my current employers may be able to sort me a job giving me those last few points I need to emigrate. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom about Regina, do many people emigrate to Regina?
mrwilson
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit in Regina

Originally Posted by mrwilson
Hi all
I may be offered a job in Regina SK, I was planning on moving to BC but beggers can't be choosers and my current employers may be able to sort me a job giving me those last few points I need to emigrate. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom about Regina, do many people emigrate to Regina?
mrwilson
Here are some words of wisdom.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Regina once. It was mid January.

My abiding memory is one of bitter cold, vast horizons and quite a pleasant town.

Two days was enough though.

Most worrying was the hotel receptionist's response when asked what there was to do when I had an afternoon spare - "I dunno, your best bet is probably to catch a movie." I ended up visiting the Royal Saskatchewan Museum, which was reasonably interesting and well presented, particularly the Sphagnum bog exhibit. Sphagnum bog's weren't previously on my radar, so I was enlightened.

Hopefully you'll have a more in depth opinion provided shortly.

Last edited by R I C H; Dec 17th 2009 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Looks cold, that's for sure, but lot's of people live there and further north, it can't be that bad?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

March 2006 I was there...................

asked the receptionist what to do and where to eat..........

Go see the Brier then eat at red lobster was her response............

Needless to say I havent returned since...................

Seriously we have a couple of friends who are both from SK (she's from outside Regina) and NEITHER would give up their lives to return............

Having said that, His cousins (2) and Brother both left SK to live in AB and ON and they're all back in and around Regina/southern SK. Her Sister worked abroad and in BC and is now in Regina VERY Happy.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

ogcsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

My borther and sister in law live in Regina so I have been there a few times in both the winter and summer.

It does seem to be a little colder then other Canadian cities in Alberta but not massively.

In summer it can be really hot but I quite like that.

It isn't exactly a happening place ( and I live in Edmonton!) but the people are nice and it is quite a cheap place to live ( although not as cheap as it once was).

I also like that it is really small so driving across it takes no time. Also the traffic is very light.

When we were first looking at moving over we were trying to get to Regina. My wife got a job in Edmonton and the rest is history.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's colder in Ottawa at the moment...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:54 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
It's colder in Ottawa at the moment...
It's only a snap.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:57 am
Just Joined

piedpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

Regina might be cold, but I believe it's a relatively nice place.

There are some positives: At least it doesn't snow as much as the East Coast.

Your best bet is to take a trip out there and see for yourself. If it turns out that you hate it, then I would recommend turning down the job. If you have your heart set on BC, then I would hold out.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

sprognut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya,

We live in Saskatoon just up the road from Regina, 2 and a half hours up the road but in North American terms that's just up the road.

Yes it cold in the winter but lovely and hot in the Summer, you WILL get used to the cold, no real choice really lol but it grows on ya......if you stand still to long that is, you will bitch its to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter.

Came over here to do long haul doing something called wild card so we cover all of Canada and all the USA so have seen a bit. Lets stick with Canada ey, ON wet snow, wet, cold, great lakes and wild life. MB wet all year round well is when I pass through there, lots and lots of Mormons lots nice and friendly ppl. SK (Regina Stoon) farms farms and more farms flat has the ex lol. AB lots and lots of ppl flat till you get to the Rockies which are amazing but dam scary to drive in winter pulling 59000 lbs gets hit hard with the winter storms got stuck there last months. BC Rockies and wet and way way too many ppl.

It really depends on what YOU are looking for, big cities or small town, busy busy or slow slow hot cold you don’t have much choice there mate, it all depends on your opened mind and the friends you make, we made some great Canadian friends and they are showing us around and things to do. Seems the Canadians have more to do in winter than summer and love it.

Best bet is to leave all the British bad habits and come here and make a fresh start, it’s their country their ways some are weird but some are great, swings and roundabouts.

Anyway Regina and Stoon have a lot of rivalry going on so your best bet is to live in Stoon and work in Regina, come on what does Regina rhyme with huh says it all really lol

We wanted to move to ON after we got our landing but now we are staying in Saskatchewan great ppl easier life better than where we have come from ey.

One thing they might be really really nice ppl but when their get behind a wheel watch out they go NUTS MENTAL even, they will never ever tell you how they really feel and are about 2 to 3 decades behind with fashion and mobile contract so be warned your going back in time with something and forward with others, but hey enjoy it.

When you get here give me a shout I have friends in Regina and he will poison your mind against Stoon lol pm me and Ill give you my details.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Mark

ps ey is the word of the country so get used to it ey lol if I don't reply means Im on the road busy busy busy or just skiving lol but I will get back to ya
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mark, thanks for that, I dont fancy driving 2.5 hours commute though. May have to live in Regina aswell as work there ey... lol

I won't fall under the influence of city rivalry though, is that based in some sport? or what?
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

sprognut is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya could be right there mate 5 hours there and back, Davidson is a nice stop off in between V......no no Regina and Stoon, plus their have an A&W mmmmmmm greatest burgers in Canada plus Poutine (chips,gravy and mozzarella cheese) doesn't sound so nice but put vinegar with it and dam that's good.

Its like the UK sports and just coz their there and we up here where the air is better the our food is better its just coz we are better lol North and South thing, bit strange for me coming from the South of the UK and now being a northern lol
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:41 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i spent 6 god awful months there. Never been back since. Its crap. Dirty, boring, full of pissed up natives, freezing cold in winter, and humid in summer. Very few shops or interesting restaurants, not much in the way of night life. Did have very cheap real estate when I was there. Not sure about now.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:01 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I've just landed up in Saskatoon, SK after stints in Montreal and Ontario.

In terms of economy the prairies are about the most stable place in the country the winters may be colder but you get used to them, I much prefer Canadian winters to British ones.

Of the places I've lived in Canada what can I say...

Quebec is well Quebec, a province with one civil servant for every citizen, $7 a day daycare, all of which is funded by other provinces as it adopts the "oliver Twist - Can I have some more sir?" pose at every opportunity. It's also the only place you can be white, anglo-saxon and an oppressed minority, which is an eye-opener. Income tax at ~50% is also an eyeopener when you get your pay packet.

I was in Toronto (and the GTA) for just over a year until my job disappeared in the recession. TO is a city built on the motor industry so at the moment is doing fairly poorly. Ontario's on the verge of becoming a "Have-Not" province and receiving federal aid to keep going.

In the 3 months I've been in Saskatoon, I can't speak highly enough of the people, they're the most friendly and down to earth people I've met since I moved to Canada
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Im looking at rental accommodation in Regina and I cannot see an obvious difference in rental cost when the utilities are included or not. It's very cold in winter so heating will be expensive I guess but how expensive are the utilities in Regina compared to the UK? Not the easiest of questions I know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.