Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit?...Pom?.....What???

Brit?...Pom?.....What???

Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:56 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Brit?...Pom?.....What???

What do Canadians call us Brits?

To the Aussies, we are Poms (when they are being polite!).

To folks from the USA, we are Limeys.

In South Africa, we are Rooineks (red necks - a reference to sunburn!!)

Etc, etc.....

So, what can we expect in Canada?

We call you Canucks.....what do you call us???
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:31 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brit?...Pom?.....What???

Originally Posted by Scouse

Etc, etc.....

Among other thing I was called either Brit or Limey and sometime goddam limey which someone told me was the same as ass hole. I had to correct them that I WAS NOT an ASS hole............but an ARSE hole!!

Last edited by nivlad; Jun 12th 2005 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:33 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Etc, etc.....

Also when I crossed the equator with a bunch on yanks/canadians I was Brit Wog (a wog being someone who hasn't crossed the line before).
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

"Limey" can have a very negative connotation here. We tend to use "Brits" unless poking fun at something. Remember that Limey has an especially English connotation, but most Americans are unaware of "jock," "taff" or even "paddy." For the most part, if someone's pissed off at someone foreign they'll just use the usual curse words and tell you to go home or back where you came from

Canadians are more polite than Americans. Doubt they'd say anything. Even when they are drunk they tend to not get half as angry as Americans.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Canadians are more polite than Americans. Doubt they'd say anything. Even when they are drunk they tend to not get half as angry as Americans.
This is true. In the ten years we lived in Canada I don't think any Canadian ever called any of my family by any kind of name. My feeling was that they in general are ultra politically correct, don't tend to understand irony or the typical British sarcastic type of humour - and are often hurt by our throwaway comments. I learnt to be much more careful about what I said, when, and how.

And still made mistakes. Big time.

Deeana.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by deeana
This is true. In the ten years we lived in Canada I don't think any Canadian ever called any of my family by any kind of name. My feeling was that they in general are ultra politically correct, don't tend to understand irony or the typical British sarcastic type of humour - and are often hurt by our throwaway comments. I learnt to be much more careful about what I said, when, and how.

Deeana.

I read this thread earlier today, and had to think about it! We have many many friends from Britain and the UK, and can only think that we might refer to them as "being english"!

It took us awhile to "catch on" to the british sarcastic type of humour - but now rather enjoy it and have never certainly been hurt by any comments from our english friends!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by willmore
I read this thread earlier today, and had to think about it! We have many many friends from Britain and the UK, and can only think that we might refer to them as "being english"!

It took us awhile to "catch on" to the british sarcastic type of humour - but now rather enjoy it and have never certainly been hurt by any comments from our english friends!
Hi,
Ah, but you are in Victoria, where as I understand it there has traditionally been quite a large population of Brits. We were in Alberta. Another bowl of porridge.
Deeana.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Originally Posted by deeana
I learnt to be much more careful about what I said, when, and how.

Deeana.
haha do tell.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

saying that, there's a fair few folks over here that just didn't get that we Brits were Limeys...Been called an aussie and Welsh, which I think is far more rude though
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Etc, etc.....

We have been here almost 6 years and we have only ever been referred to as "scotch" as opposed to Scots. Our experience is that Canadians are pretty polite and enquire of your nationality and refer to you as that.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:51 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Paddy.

Never made much sense to me that one. Aren't the Aussies the original POMS?

Never heard that one from the septics and I spent a couple of summers in Boston with a few friends from"Ingerland"

Afraakans, I suspect the above word is. Suppose it's better than kaffer. Scariest people I've ever met.

To be honest I wasn't even aware of the word Canuck prior to coming here, I just knew Canadian.

As a Paddy and working with two Jocks I find that they generally just ask what part of England we are from.

Some struggle with the sarcasm when we ask them "is that a Montana accent I hear?"
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:26 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

To your face?

Brits, the British, sometimes Limeys though I rarely hear that nowadays and, assuming you're white, you might hear the term Kabloona depending where you go but it's not necessarily referring strictly to Brits.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:43 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
saying that, there's a fair few folks over here that just didn't get that we Brits were Limeys...Been called an aussie and Welsh, which I think is far more rude though
Yes, I know how you feel..when I was in the states I was accused of being a Canadian based on my accent!!!...lol...Americans just don't get it, do they??
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brodel
haha do tell.
I worked at Office Depot for a few years. Brill job, $7.50 an hour

Got on quite well with the store manager, he was good looking but much younger than me.

One day I said, in the course of conversation, referring to something totally innocent, "Lets get down together." Apparently this was hilarious!!!!!! (Perhaps nowadays that expression is known by Brits too, then I certainly hadn't got a clue what it meant - silly me!)

My face was red for a week every time I saw him.

The whole store knew about it in minutes.

Nice thing was, it was all just a gentle little joke, no-one made fun of me, it was funny because I was the "pet Brit" with the cool accent who said neat things.

I later hired another Brit to work in my department and it was our own little bit of England. We were well liked and respected by all. Yay Canadians, eh?
Great stuff. I'm feeling nostalgic for Office Depot. Good grief Deeana, get a life girl!

Deeana.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlad
Among other thing I was called either Brit or Limey and sometime goddam limey which someone told me was the same as ass hole. I had to correct them that I WAS NOT an ASS hole............but an ARSE hole!!
And never forget to point out to them that "at least an arsehole serves a useful purpose". I'm not generally anti American, but .......

Last edited by Posidrive; Jun 13th 2005 at 11:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.