Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit or Canadian

Brit or Canadian

Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:09 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit or Canadian

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think that, by denying your being British, you're indulging racism against the British. Understand though that while racism is an emotive term, I don't mean every reference to it to be inflammatory, I just can't buy the idea that there's a Canadian identity.
I wonder if denying the idea of a Canadian identity, is indulging in racism against Canadians? Is it possible to be racist against Canadians if they don't really exist? And what about the tendency to smugness and self-righteousness by Canadians that reveals itself in donut commercials?

Just wondering.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:15 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JezHarper
I agree, I have a british passport, but I am European
If you have a British Passport its a fake!!!!
Your SHOULD have an EU passport issued by the UK govt. At the very least (and I'm not sure if there are any still in circulation) you will have a UK passport.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
I consider myself to be very much Canadian.

I am from England and some still see as English (still some trace of a Liverpool accent usually spotted by other expats). I came to Canada in 1963 when I was sixteen and can't say exactly when I felt that I was Canadian it just seemed to happen over time.

I still like some English things and still check to see how Liverpool did in soccer (beat Man U today in the FA cup 5th round) but as for home that is Canada no doubt about that.
I see Britain as a nice to visit, beautiful countyside, but not somewhere that I would like to live.

Me too. I've been here for 38 years and England has changed considerably since I lived there. Now it's a bit like visiting the UK section of Disney World, quaint and picturesque but tiny and crowded. Wouldn't like to live there either.

Last edited by flashman; Feb 19th 2006 at 12:11 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

I'm not sure I understand how people can move to Canda, and accept that it's never going to be thier 'home'.
If you never feel like it's your 'home' then personally I'd imagine it feels like a constant vacation and that you'd be unable to really settle... and therefore not an ideal place to live. Maybe that's because personally I take a sense of belonging quite seriously and it plays a large part of being comfortable.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Are they all the same?

Britain, Canada, Australia, US, all have one thing in common. The language which enables people from different origins to communicate easier, I say that as yes one can speak French in many countries or locations of the world but French is not used as widely as English to communicate through day to day and business to business.

One major thing they also have in common is that by and large each of these countries including Britain is made up of mongrels. A mix of different backgrounds and cultures and histories that have been bent and twisted. Britain is simply and older version of the same. Depending on how far back you like to go Britain has been French ruled, Italian ruled, German ruled, Dutch ruled etc etc . I absolutely hate the national English pride that comes out when the statement... best country in the world ensues. It aint. It is just different and does not suit everyone.

(This made me laugh. Our youngest has started school and naturally like all kids all her friends state that they would love to go and live in England as it has so much history (confused with culture, as everywhere has culture) and they think everyone lives in cottages and speak Oh so POSH. So our girl remindes them of the swathes of terraced communities that forms the working class backbone of England with their 12 x 12 feet lawns and the look of horror on the faces coming back spoke volumes). Each person has a view that somewhere else has all the answers.

Only sometimes a place has some of the answers. And then not always forever.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
If you have a British Passport its a fake!!!!
Your SHOULD have an EU passport issued by the UK govt. At the very least (and I'm not sure if there are any still in circulation) you will have a UK passport.

Wrong - there is no such thing as an "EU passport"

The EU is not a country. While passports are issued in a common format (like some other international organisations do, eg Mercosur) they remain national documents.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodel
I'm not sure I understand how people can move to Canda, and accept that it's never going to be thier 'home'.
If you never feel like it's your 'home' then personally I'd imagine it feels like a constant vacation and that you'd be unable to really settle... and therefore not an ideal place to live. Maybe that's because personally I take a sense of belonging quite seriously and it plays a large part of being comfortable.
I would tend to agree. I look on Canada as my home now. I chose to sell up and come here from Scotland with the intention of seeing the remainder of my life being spent here. My country of origin however, is Scotland...actually and in my heart. It always will be.

As for Canadian Citizenship...I will apply when the time comes. Have always been a little perplexed when talking to expats who have lived the best part of their lives here who never have? Again, from a personal point of view, have never been able to understand why uk expats would not embrace the citizenship of Canada, where they now live, work, bring up families...and for many, die. But that's just me. I am sure that their may well be many reasons for not so doing...just can't think of many. Again, just my take on it...and not a swipe at those who have not.

By adopting this attitude of Canada now being home, I believe that it has assisted me in the process of settling in, not looking over my shoulder (theoretically speaking) at my old home accross the pond. Definately helps put things into perspective as to where I am now...home...and a more comfortable state of mind as a consequence.

Last edited by macadian; Feb 19th 2006 at 1:45 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

debiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macadian
I would tend to agree. I look on Canada now as my home now. I chose to sell up and come here from Scotland with the intention of seeing the remainder of my life being spent here. My country of origin however, is Scotland...and actually and in my heart, it always will be.

As for Canadian Citizenship...I will apply when the time comes. Have always been a little perplexed when talking to expats who have lived the best part of their lives here who never have? Again, from a personal point of view, have never been able to understand why uk expats would not embrace the citizenship of Canada, where they now live, work, bring up families...and for many, die. But that's just me.

By adopting this attitude of Canada now being home, I believe that it has assisted me in the process of settling in, not looking over my shoulder (theoretically speaking) at my old home accross the pond. Definately helps put things into perspective as to where I am now...home...and a comfortable state of mind as a consequence.

Even though I will always call Ireland home, I will also call Canada home if that makes sence. I would never go back to live in Ireland but the child in me says, thats where my Dad is and where I would run to if things turned bad.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:04 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

[QUOTE=debiharper]Often time i will use slang that they just dont get QUOTE]

Understand that one totally, after six years I'm still caught out at times by the British humor and slang.

My wife's parents moved from Germany after the war and after 50 odd years they now consider themselves Canadian rather than German, thankfully they waited long enough to take citizenship so my wife could get her German passport. 6 years ago we moved to Germany and although we'll never move back I will always be Canadian at heart.

What I find confusing is kids born of mixed heritage, talked to someone who's son was born and raised in Germany who has 3 passports British German and American, so I asked what is British German or American?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would tend to agree. I look on Canada as my home now. I chose to sell up and come here from Scotland with the intention of seeing the remainder of my life being spent here. My country of origin however, is Scotland...actually and in my heart. It always will be.

As for Canadian Citizenship...I will apply when the time comes. Have always been a little perplexed when talking to expats who have lived the best part of their lives here who never have? Again, from a personal point of view, have never been able to understand why uk expats would not embrace the citizenship of Canada, where they now live, work, bring up families...and for many, die. But that's just me. I am sure that their may well be many reasons for not so doing...just can't think of many. Again, just my take on it...and not a swipe at those who have not.

By adopting this attitude of Canada now being home, I believe that it has assisted me in the process of settling in, not looking over my shoulder (theoretically speaking) at my old home accross the pond. Definately helps put things into perspective as to where I am now...home...and a more comfortable state of mind as a consequence.

I took the citizenship but can well see why people might choose not to. I think a person being Canadian is like a ship being Liberian; a legal convenience. Someone who feels strongly about his or her home country, or about nationality in general, might well feel that taking Canadian citizenship is somehow dishonourable.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I wonder if denying the idea of a Canadian identity, is indulging in racism against Canadians?
I don't think so, racism implies an identifiable group, linked by physical characteristics, religion, something.

Is it possible to be racist against Canadians if they don't really exist?
No. See above.

And what about the tendency to smugness and self-righteousness by Canadians that reveals itself in donut commercials?
As was pointed out on that thread, the sickening commercials reflect an American corporation's view of Canadians, rather than the reality. You are correct however in suggesting that I want it both ways, I want to mock the Red Green Canadians, while seeing them as a minority of little and diminishing importance.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I took the citizenship but can well see why people might choose not to. I think a person being Canadian is like a ship being Liberian; a legal convenience. Someone who feels strongly about his or her home country, or about nationality in general, might well feel that taking Canadian citizenship is somehow dishonourable.
Alternatively, someone might feel that living in a country and partaking of the benefits of same and not taking out citizenship may see that as equally dishonouerable? Its all about perception...
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Brodel
That's about an unwillingness to accept that one has not done better and never will. "Going native" is about settling for this.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Alternatively, someone might feel that living in a country and partaking of the benefits of same and not taking out citizenship may see that as equally dishonouerable? Its all about perception...

I suppose so but someone who is not a citizen still pays taxes and can be deported if he or she commits a crime. Long term exiles are economically better for Canada.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

[QUOTE=tim hortons man]
Originally Posted by debiharper
Often time i will use slang that they just dont get QUOTE]

Understand that one totally, after six years I'm still caught out at times by the British humor and slang.

My wife's parents moved from Germany after the war and after 50 odd years they now consider themselves Canadian rather than German, thankfully they waited long enough to take citizenship so my wife could get her German passport. 6 years ago we moved to Germany and although we'll never move back I will always be Canadian at heart.

What I find confusing is kids born of mixed heritage, talked to someone who's son was born and raised in Germany who has 3 passports British German and American, so I asked what is British German or American?
I think your wife's parents made the trip in the right direction

I love Germany, regardless of the passport I hold, Germany is home...at least until I make the move to Canada, then Canada will be home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.