Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit or Canadian

Brit or Canadian

Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice
Talking Brit or Canadian

Is there a point in time, once you have immigrated, that you become 'Canadian' rather than being a Brit in Canada? I don't mean becoming a Canadian Citizen, but being regarded as Canadian by fellow Canadians?

It seems that some do not become fully immersed in Canadian life, i.e. still missing things from the UK, needing to keep up with UK sports, meeting up with other Expats.

This is not meant as a critisism, I'm just interested to know if you ever lose interest in the UK. Do you still regard it as home?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brit or Canadian

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Is there a point in time, once you have immigrated, that you become 'Canadian' rather than being a Brit in Canada? I don't mean becoming a Canadian Citizen, but being regarded as Canadian by fellow Canadians?

It seems that some do not become fully immersed in Canadian life, i.e. still missing things from the UK, needing to keep up with UK sports, meeting up with other Expats.

This is not meant as a critisism, I'm just interested to know if you ever lose interest in the UK. Do you still regard it as home?
Can't answer for Brits, but as a Canadian living the Uk for almost 10 years now, I can honestly say, I'm still Canadian....still think of Canada as my home, however Britain is running a very close second. I also think that unless I lose my accent, the constant reminders from others will always set me apart. Not a bad thing in my opinion I get away with a lot more this way...I can still plead ignorant in so many ways and get away with it
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about this very subject last night with my only English freind here in Canada, and we were saying that although weve both lived here now for three years we are tottally immersed into Canadian life and feel somewhat Canadian, you will always be British at heart.

But what is strange is when you go back for visits to England you feel like you dont really fit in anymore, your not uptodate on English news, celebrity gossip, who won Big Brother!! the newest slang, or the fashion trends.

The first time i went back was after 2 1/2 years and it felt like i was in a different country I had forgotten how to use the bus and subways, Just little things like that. It was familiar but not.

I have tottally immersed myself into Canadian living, I mean my hb is Canadian all my freinds bar one are Canadian. I drink Canadian beer, watch hockey, eat Canadian beef, talk the slang, However you are always British at heart and you cant change a lifetime of 'Britishness'.

You still at times feel like an outsider here with your accent, and my sense of humour sometimes isnt understood. Often time i will use slang that they just dont get and i still get annoyed that ppl cant form an orderly line for the bus LOL.

Its like your in nationality limbo!!!

So I think as hard as you try you will always be British at heart (ive become much more of a proud Britain than i ever was in England) but I always say im a proud Canadian and I am,
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

But what is strange is when you go back for visits to England you feel like you dont really fit in anymore, your not uptodate on English news, celebrity gossip, who won Big Brother!! the newest slang, or the fashion trends.
Things change and the definition of being a Brit becomes based on nostalgia. The longer that you live in Canada the more distant the current English situation becomes.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My friend and I were just discussing this last night. I asked her about the Olympics - if there is a Canadian or a Brit competing - which one are you cheering for? She said the Canadian first and then the Brit second. I think I would agree with that.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One cannot become "Canadian" Canadian is just a state of not being particularly American. One does become less British over time so, eventually, being nothing in particular is achieved. Children born here have the advantage or disadvantage of never being anything really.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Things change and the definition of being a Brit becomes based on nostalgia. The longer that you live in Canada the more distant the current English situation becomes.

Not every British person is English to begin with
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

I would imagine a large part has to do with the age at which you moved. It'd be interesting to hear opinions of those that moved with teenage children or people in their mid 20's.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

I was talking about this very subject last night with my only English freind here in Canada, and we were saying that although weve both lived here now for three years we are tottally immersed into Canadian life and feel somewhat Canadian, you will always be British at heart.

The first time i went back was after 2 1/2 years and it felt like i was in a different country I had forgotten how to use the bus and subways, Just little things like that. It was familiar but not.

I have tottally immersed myself into Canadian living, I mean my hb is Canadian all my freinds bar one are Canadian. I drink Canadian beer, watch hockey, eat Canadian beef, talk the slang, However you are always British at heart and you cant change a lifetime of 'Britishness'.

You still at times feel like an outsider here with your accent, and my sense of humour sometimes isnt understood. Often time i will use slang that they just dont get and i still get annoyed that ppl cant form an orderly line for the bus LOL.

Its like your in nationality limbo!!!

So I think as hard as you try you will always be British at heart (ive become much more of a proud Britain than i ever was in England) but I always say im a proud Canadian and I am,
I can safely say that I am not British at heart, I wasn't born here, I was born in Germany and lived there until I was 18. I don't particularly like the UK (on the whole) and often find myself in Europe pretending not to be British.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not every British person is English to begin with
I agree, I have a british passport, but I am European
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One cannot become "Canadian" Canadian is just a state of not being particularly American. One does become less British over time so, eventually, being nothing in particular is achieved. Children born here have the advantage or disadvantage of never being anything really.

I sometimes wonder how you get through the day without commiting suicide, your like Victor Meldrew from one foot in the grave LOL im sending you some happy Karma!

Liz i said that same thing, during the opening of the olympics I had a huge surge of pride when the Canadians and the British came out.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not sure I understand you Is your use of the word 'American', 'North American', or 'United States, American'?

So, Canadian is what you are if you are not a particularly American American?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wonder how you get through the day without commiting suicide, your like Victor Meldrew from one foot in the grave LOL im sending you some happy Karma!
You don't understand, I don't think national pride is a good thing, that's just about xenophobia.

Last night I saw my "ex", a citizen of Canada since 1985, and she commented on how well her country is doing in the Olympics, she hasn't adjusted to being in Canada at all because she's primarily Swiss. I'm a Londoner first, I'm not obsessed with it, but I'm obviously not, and am never going to be a Canadian (whatever that is), despite having the passport. The only person I can recall meeting who claims to be a Canadian, not hyphenated, just Canadian, has one Indian parent and one Swedish one but was born here. "Why Canadian ?" I asked "because the truth is too long".

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 18th 2006 at 3:40 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'm not sure I understand you Is your use of the word 'American', 'North American', or 'United States, American'?

So, Canadian is what you are if you are not a particularly American American?

I use American to mean "from the USA". Culturally Canada, outside Quebec, is I think just a bit of the US. (I am aware that technically it's another country.)

I suppose it's time for the chestnut "as is possible in the circumstances".
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I can safely say that I am not British at heart, I wasn't born here, I was born in Germany and lived there until I was 18.
Substitute "Canadian" for British and "elsewhere" for Germany and you have the attitude of most people in Toronto toward Canada. It's different in rural Canada, but here, we have a city of semi-detached people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.