Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing our Dyson?

Bringing our Dyson?

Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:12 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing our Dyson?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I thought the ones here were made in Ohio? Or is it just assembled there?
Not sure, probably assembled, like most stuff. Mr Dyson certainly isn't as popular back in the UK as he once was, which was the point I was making. I recall 'sellout argh burn the traitorous witch at the stake' kind of rants in the tabloid mind-control-of-the-masses rags.

Dirt Devil got my $'s.

Rich.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I have a Bissell, which I bought from Costco. I think it cost about $120, and is an excellent vaccum cleaner. What's the point in getting a dyson?
Might as well ask why drive an upmarket car?

Dyson came up with a better mousetrap, it works in a more efficient and effective way and is arguably a better / more interesting design. Probably last longer and does the job in a less stressful way. Is it worth the extra money? Personal choice I suppose. Werent available here when I was shopping about.

After realising our cheapo Hoover sucked (or really didnt suck ) we bought a nice $600 Kenmore canister, and I can honestly say the design is crap. The thing drives me nuts. Its nice and quiet and does a nice job cleaning hardwood or carpet, but it snags on every bit of furniture we have and is too heavy and total non steerable. Drives me nuts, and has increased my daughters burgeoning vocabulary!

Last edited by iaink; Nov 15th 2005 at 5:23 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:15 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I have a Bissell, which I bought from Costco. I think it cost about $120, and is an excellent vaccum cleaner. What's the point in getting a dyson?

Exactly my point ! Bisell is another decent one just like you said
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:18 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Exactly my point ! Bisell is another decent one just like you said
I'd like to add that I forked out UKP 160 for a Miele in the UK. It was also a very good vaccum cleaner, and did the job admirably. Cheap UK vaccum cleaners aren't very good in the UK. My make is used by some friends of mine who own a store, so it has to be good at what it does.

I can't believe that there are people out there who care what their vaccum cleaner looks like. Most of the time it sits in a closet....
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:26 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Smokey
I'm utterley stunned to read this thread. I contacted Dyson UK last year who wouldn't answer my simple question and directed me to the USA site. When I asked them the same question I couldn't get a reply from them either. I only wanted to know if there were any plans to sell them in Canada. Sadly I got the warranty lecture if I bought it in the US.

As it's that old dog hair issue that even now needs attending to can I just ask where you can buy a Dyson from in Canada?
As far as I am aware - Canada STILL does not sell them. You have to buy from the US and loose your warranty. Does anyone know if you can get them here yet?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
We did have a dyson in the UK, but didnt see the need to lump that over with us. To be honest, can't really say I noticed a difference really, and can't be arsed to spend all that money just a brand name now.

If a non brand name does the job, why bother, each to their own I guess.
We got ours as a refurb, for a bargain price, must cheaper in the long run too without need for new hefa filters which are really expesnsive...
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I thought the ones here were made in Ohio? Or is it just assembled there?
There assembled here...and has a mitsubishi licensed motor instead of a dyson motor too....

dyson ain't a popular guy, but then he's out to make money, he was given the shaft the first time around when he tried the vac over here by Amway and almost went broke...and so what if he gets to the far east to get things made...be cheaper in the long run I say..
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bleech
Anyone know what the built in central vac systems are like? Seems to be pretty standard in most new builds.
(I can't believe I'm talking about vacume cleaners, must be getting old )
Excellent.

The hose is very light and you just plug it in.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Excellent.

The hose is very light and you just plug it in.
I don't find the hose to be light. I find it to be sufficiently a bother that I use a Panasonic upright on the flat bits and a ShopVac in the corners instead.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't find the hose to be light. I find it to be sufficiently a bother that I use a Panasonic upright on the flat bits and a ShopVac in the corners instead.
So it's you who pops in and does our hoovering then?

Thanks alot
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road

There are virtually no vacuum cleaners made in North America now. The main assembly plants for Hoover and Erueka are in Mexico but both also import from China. Dirt Devil import everything again mainly from China.

Dyson has moved a lot of his manufacture to Malaysia and I'm pretty sure does not assemble in USA. Seem to remember Dyson has a problem in Canada because there used to be an old licencee there.

The reality is that China assembles more than 80% of the vacuum cleaners and the same basic models are sold to the Dirt Devils, Eurekas and major stores for their own brand name.

The one thing you need to watch with vacuums that are over aggressive is the damage to the carpet, you're looking for one with lots of vaccum but not too aggressive agitators (brushes at the front).
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:48 pm
Just beginning...

binturong is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by beckington
We are trying so hard to avoid ditching things in a skip - it's just so wasteful. The charity shop will hate us, heh!!
A lot of charity shops won't take electrical goods. Sign up to Freecycle - much better than throwing things in a skip, and people will come and collect, so you don't even have the bother of transport.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

beckington will become famous soon enoughbeckington will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by binturong
A lot of charity shops won't take electrical goods. Sign up to Freecycle - much better than throwing things in a skip, and people will come and collect, so you don't even have the bother of transport.
What a great link - thanks! I realised most charity shops won't take electrical goods so this is great - have just posted a few things on there and people are begging to come and take it away! Nice and easy - just what I like. Of course, if I had more time I'd have a better go at selling it, but this is a great option too!