Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

bringing money into canada

bringing money into canada

Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all
Default bringing money into canada

Quick question, when we sell our house in England and money sent over to our account here in Canada, are we taxed on it????
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Gary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really nice
Default Re: bringing money into canada

Not if you declared it on your original landing documents as money you are bringing into Canada.
We still have a house to sell in the UK. I included the equity in the amount we are bringing.
I dont think there is a time limit to it, but not sure.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pollyb
Quick question, when we sell our house in England and money sent over to our account here in Canada, are we taxed on it????
There is another quirk here. When you come to Canada, the exchange rate is fixed at the prevailing noon rate on the date that you land. If you transfer your money on a different date, you may be liable for a capital gain or a capital loss depending if the rate has moved in your favour or against you on that date. A capital gain of course, must be declared for tax purposes. You would also want to keep a record of any capital losses to offset against future gains.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gary and Suzie
Not if you declared it on your original landing documents as money you are bringing into Canada.
Is that not money you declare when becoming a resident for tax purposes rather than landing? We were just asked how much cash we had on us when we landed - we were returning to UK.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you send the money to Canada before you move here then no.

If you send the money after you have moved here the, as Johnh009 said, you may have a taxable capital gain or allowable capital loss if the exchange rate is different from the rate on the day you moved here.

If you sell the house after you move to Canada you may also have a capital gain/loss based on the difference between the market value of the house when you moved and the sale price you achieved.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:31 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

i hear ther e are ways around the tax prob....not that id know 'bout this stuff....i's down to me last few coppers.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 14th 2011 at 3:37 pm. Reason: Not appropriate, save it for The Maple Leaf.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you send the money to Canada before you move here then no.

If you send the money after you have moved here the, as Johnh009 said, you may have a taxable capital gain or allowable capital loss if the exchange rate is different from the rate on the day you moved here.

If you sell the house after you move to Canada you may also have a capital gain/loss based on the difference between the market value of the house when you moved and the sale price you achieved.
Jonboy - My OH gets a tax-free lump sum (in the UK) on retirement from the police and we have been told not to move to Canada until it is in the bank to avoid paying tax on it in Canada - have we been given the correct advice? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Jonboy - My OH gets a tax-free lump sum (in the UK) on retirement from the police and we have been told not to move to Canada until it is in the bank to avoid paying tax on it in Canada - have we been given the correct advice? Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, you have been given the right advice. The lump sum is tax-free under UK law, not Canadian. If you receive it after you have become tax-resident in Canada it is taxable income here.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you have been given the right advice. The lump sum is tax-free under UK law, not Canadian. If you receive it after you have become tax-resident in Canada it is taxable income here.
Many thanks, that's much appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:14 pm
J2J
Forum Regular

J2J is on a distinguished road

Could you please explain to me at exactly what point do you become a "tax-resident in Canada"
My OH will complete his landing trip end of March then return to England for about 6 to 8 wks. before returning to Canada to stay. At this point we are not sure if he will receive his lump sum tax free portion of his pension before he leaves on his final trip. If not, it will be sent to our Canadian address a few wks later. He could put off applying for a S.I.N. until he receives it or is it best to wait it out until he gets it there?
Could he record this amount on his goods to follow list, and if he has not recieved it, just have it sent to Canada? Does that cover the tax problem?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J2J
Could you please explain to me at exactly what point do you become a "tax-resident in Canada"
My OH will complete his landing trip end of March then return to England for about 6 to 8 wks. before returning to Canada to stay. At this point we are not sure if he will receive his lump sum tax free portion of his pension before he leaves on his final trip. If not, it will be sent to our Canadian address a few wks later. He could put off applying for a S.I.N. until he receives it or is it best to wait it out until he gets it there?
Could he record this amount on his goods to follow list, and if he has not recieved it, just have it sent to Canada? Does that cover the tax problem?
The day he moves there to live permanently is the date he will become resident for tax purposes. If he plans to return to the UK after landing and spends his time whilst here in temporary accommodation (hotels and such) then he is not yet resident. The way I see it is that if you go by what a reasonable person would consider to be "resident" then you won't go far wrong.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:08 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The day he moves there to live permanently is the date he will become resident for tax purposes. If he plans to return to the UK after landing and spends his time whilst here in temporary accommodation (hotels and such) then he is not yet resident. The way I see it is that if you go by what a reasonable person would consider to be "resident" then you won't go far wrong.
^^^^

If the amount involved is substantial then it will be worthwhile delaying the final move over until the cheque is safely deposited in his bank account.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:51 pm
J2J
Forum Regular

J2J is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much. Yes we will make sure that the money is in the bank acct before his final move in the summer, but I don't think it will be in before his landing trip at the end of March. (staying for 2 wks) He will still be employed in England for the 8 wks after before he returns for his final move here. That is when he actually retires. Do you think that would make the tax free lump sum free from being taxed in Canada?

I'm still a bit confused, are you suggesting he cancel his landing trip at the end of March if the tax free lump sum isn't in his acct? or just make sure he has it in his acct before his final trip?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J2J
Thank you so much. Yes we will make sure that the money is in the bank acct before his final move in the summer, but I don't think it will be in before his landing trip at the end of March. (staying for 2 wks) He will still be employed in England for the 8 wks after before he returns for his final move here. That is when he actually retires. Do you think that would make the tax free lump sum free from being taxed in Canada?

I'm still a bit confused, are you suggesting he cancel his landing trip at the end of March if the tax free lump sum isn't in his acct? or just make sure he has it in his acct before his final trip?
From what you describe above I would say he does not become resident on his landing trip as he his just visiting at that point. Make sure he has the cash in his account before he moves here permanently in the summer. In practice this means that when filling in his first tax return, he should put the summer date as the date he entered Canada to live.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Not to hijack this thread but we move in 3 months, we landed last year but returned to the UK to finalise things, my wife makes a pre moving trip in April and then we both move in May, could we withdraw our funds and take them with us to Canada and deposit them in our bank accounts there, I know we are required to declare more than $10000 so if we were to take less than $10000 per trip in £'s, could we? And will there be any tax implications???? Also anyone know if our exchange rate is better this way exchanging £'s at a Canadian bank into our account or through a Moneycorp, Hifx, halo etc???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.