Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing guitars to Canada - thoughts?

Bringing guitars to Canada - thoughts?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about
Default Bringing guitars to Canada - thoughts?

(sorry, this is very long winded, the cliffsnotes of it is in bold)

My situation is that I am getting married to a Canadian in Canada this year and will be there for a month, before returning home to UK to complete my degree and do all the necessary for getting PR status. All being well I will hopefully be landing as a permanent resident in Canada late next year.

I have been contemplating how to move my possessions over. I don't have a huge amount of things and I reckon I can get feasibly get everything moved by way of excess baggage on my flight.

One issue is my guitars. I have two (one electric, one acoustic) and I have figured out that bringing them works out better than selling them and buying them again in Canada, even when the cost of buying hard cases for them for the flight is taken into account (the hard cases can be quite spendy). Additional baggage fees (with BA at least) are such that the 1st add'l bag is relatively cheap, but any further add'l bags are quite costly, which I don't mind too much, but I'm still keen to get the biggest bang for my buck, being a poor student.

Here's my rough calculation based on flying BA and paying their additional baggage fees for both guitars on the journey where I land as PR.

2x hard cases @ c£50 each = £100
2x add'l baggage fees one way @ £72 each = £144

Total = an awful lot of £££?? (£244 for the maths hounds )

And obviously I don't pay any import duty/tax as I am bringing them in as a landing PR.

Now my theory is this....

I buy one hard case for the acoustic (i.e. the larger guitar) and bring acoustic guitar with me on my earlier trip (the one this year where I am getting married) and leave the guitar in Canada, bring the empty case back to the UK and then on my PR landing trip take the electric guitar (suitably wrapped/cushioned inside the somewhat-too-big case).

Money wise that works out:

1x hard case @ £50
2x 1st add'l baggage fee (trip#1 return) @ £32 = £64
1x add'l baggage fee (trip#2 one way) @ £72

Total = not so much £££ (£186! or in other words a saving of almost £60)

Essentially the saving I make is on not having to buy a second guitar case that I'll never use for any other purpose. And I also have less stuff to stack precariously on a trolley and wheel around the airports on the second trip, as an additional benefit.

So the big question is this:

On my arrival on the first trip, are Canadian customs likely to accept that I am bringing my guitar for recreational use on the earlier trip and that I am "bringing it home to the UK with me" afterwards, and therefore not hit me for duty?

People take instruments on vacation for personal use all the time, right? And customs can't really know that I've left it behind once they've let me through with it?

Truth be told I don't even know how much tax/duty I would pay on the thing. I suspect less than £60 worth. The guitar is worth about £200. So either way, even if I get hit, I'm winning?

I am concerned because flying home with an empty guitar case might be a headscratcher but I don't encounter Canadian customs when leaving anyway? UK customs could ask questions and assume I bought the case in Canada but a UK receipt for the case would clear that up, and it's not over the value threshold for bringing stuff home anyway (my wedding ring is a bigger concern tbh, any suggestions for that btw?)

Maybe you guys can tell me if I am being ridiculous/taking a dumb risk for such a small saving, or missing something obvious that makes this whole scheme fall apart? This whole immigration thing is a spendy affair though, and any little savings I can make on this and that will hopefully add up.

Last edited by Deficient; Mar 7th 2011 at 2:10 pm. Reason: hopeless at maths...
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing guitars to Canada - thoughts?

Just stick them on you goods to follow list if you are coming as a PR?

Based on my shaky memory of a previous thread on this subject if you buy a second hard case and then sell it once you get here you will probably come out ahead anyway.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Just stick them on you goods to follow list if you are coming as a PR?
My understanding is that he will not be a PR at the time of the first trip.

To the OP, I think your plan is sound except for having to explain an empty case on the return.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:47 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
My understanding is that he will not be a PR at the time of the first trip.

To the OP, I think your plan is sound except for having to explain an empty case on the return.
Use the guitar case to carry your stuff in (pants, shirts etc.). That's what a friend of my husband did all the time, used it as a suitcase. His theory was that people would mistake him for a famous musician, he looked a bit like Eric Clapton.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

Based on my shaky memory of a previous thread on this subject if you buy a second hard case and then sell it once you get here you will probably come out ahead anyway.
For all of my seeming thrift, buying a second hand case and flogging it onwards after using it never actually occurred to me. Cheers for the suggestion.

One thing I just realised I have overlooked is the possibility of the guitar being my hand luggage, which BA say is possible provided it is "less than 126cm" and my guitar is no longer than 110cm. So in fact if I do that instead of taking a small handluggage suitcase (which I only ever put a few spare undies in anyway, I'm sure I can stuff em in the case with the guitar...) then I pay nothing for transporting the first guitar except the cost of the case, whatever that may be. So that basically settles that. Saving of £122 before you even consider the possibility of carrying it in a soft case (undecided but would be much cheaper), can't f*** with that, you know? I'll take the risk of customs at either end asking a few questions for that.

Money issues aside, it also means I don't have to handle two guitars on top of maybe 3 suitcases on the PR landing trip, which could be a bit of an unwieldy affair as a fairly small chick with very little bodily strength for wheeling all this stuff around airports.

Thanks for the help folks, sometimes it just takes input from a few extra brains for me to work things out to their best.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They typically allow instruments as an exception to that rule, but if space is short it could have to go in the hold at boarding, so a hard case is a minimum requirement unless you want expensive kindling the other end.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know, cheers.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deficient
Money issues aside, it also means I don't have to handle two guitars on top of maybe 3 suitcases on the PR landing trip, which could be a bit of an unwieldy affair as a fairly small chick with very little bodily strength for wheeling all this stuff around airports.
This is the biggest benefit to me - if you're doing the luggage on your own, then 2 guitars and suitcases is going to be difficult.

They aren't going to question why you are bringing a guitar over (and if you're going over for your wedding, you can always say you are playing it at the wedding). People travel with instruments all the time.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

This is a subject I had looked into... I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (cost new £1400) which is my prized possesion. I am going to Canada on the WHP on thursday and was originally planning on taking my guitar with me. You'll be wanting a flight case for your guitars. My Gibson has a hard case, but even that does not guarantee it will be safe. To be honest though, gibson hardcases are fairly lousy. They are good enough to protect your guitar when carrying it around, but I wouldn't trust a baggage handler with it.

You'd need to loosen the strings as well as the change in temperatures could cause the string tension to change and the neck could be at risk to warping.

As for using your acoustic hardcase for your electric guitar, this is a bad idea. Ideally, you don't want your guitar moving around inside the case. A tip I was given is that customs may want to open the case and check what's inside. Locking the case isn't the best idea because if they want to check it and you're not around, they'll just bust the lock open... If you get a case with a combination lock, I recommend locking it, but sticking a note to it with the combination written on it. Let's face it, if someone steals your case, all they need to do is guess the combination or bust the lock. It makes little difference at the end of the day.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Craig1987
This is a subject I had looked into... I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (cost new £1400) which is my prized possesion. I am going to Canada on the WHP on thursday and was originally planning on taking my guitar with me. You'll be wanting a flight case for your guitars. My Gibson has a hard case, but even that does not guarantee it will be safe. To be honest though, gibson hardcases are fairly lousy. They are good enough to protect your guitar when carrying it around, but I wouldn't trust a baggage handler with it.

You'd need to loosen the strings as well as the change in temperatures could cause the string tension to change and the neck could be at risk to warping.

As for using your acoustic hardcase for your electric guitar, this is a bad idea. Ideally, you don't want your guitar moving around inside the case. A tip I was given is that customs may want to open the case and check what's inside. Locking the case isn't the best idea because if they want to check it and you're not around, they'll just bust the lock open... If you get a case with a combination lock, I recommend locking it, but sticking a note to it with the combination written on it. Let's face it, if someone steals your case, all they need to do is guess the combination or bust the lock. It makes little difference at the end of the day.
9 times out of 10 the instument will remain hand luggage, so customs access is only a problem if it gets checked. If it gets checked then customs are probably going to be the least of your worries

Id lock a case just to deter the idly curious. Then again my experience is with saxes, and they have small stuff in the case like expensive/ cherished mouthpieces you wouldnt want to go missing.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

9 times out of 10 the instument will remain hand luggage, so customs access is only a problem if it gets checked. If it gets checked then customs are probably going to be the least of your worries
I've heard stories of people purchasing seats for their instruments but then being told by the airline that they'll need to check them with their cases... It really does boil down to the airline. Is it really worth taking the risk?

A friend of mine recommended shipping them. It doesn't cost too much and couriers are generally more reliable.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

The airline itself says it will accept instruments as hand luggage, but I think what Iain is getting at is that if it is a particularly busy flight or small plane, they can make people check their larger hand luggage pieces at boarding.

I would never in a million years purchase a seat for my guitar, given how expensive it was to get my own ass on the plane.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deficient
I would never in a million years purchase a seat for my guitar, given how expensive it was to get my own ass on the plane.
It's more about peace of mind. I'm going to pick up a guitar when I'm in canada on the whp. My plan is to travel the world until I find a place I would be happy to call home, then do so legally. When this is done, I'll have my guitar shipped to me in a flight case and padded box. It's very dear to me.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Dont fly united

Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

I do not have guitars but I brought a modular synth (Buchla 200e) synth over as luggage when I moved to Canada a few years ago. It is very valuable ($25,000) so I paid the extra insurance and it was worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.