Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing food into Canada (tip)

Bringing food into Canada (tip)

Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing food into Canada (tip)

Declare it, whatever it is, be it a Toblerone or a jar of Marmite.

I discovered this a couple of days ago. I'd ticked the "no" box on the landing card but mentioned to the immigration guy that I had a jar of Branston. I didn't think it counted. It does.

He made a note on my card that I had food but it was OK food. Had he not, and I'd been searched in customs, there would have been an automatic fine.

The guy also told me "welcome home", which I thought was nice.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:10 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing food into Canada (tip)

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Declare it, whatever it is, be it a Toblerone or a jar of Marmite.

I discovered this a couple of days ago. I'd ticked the "no" box on the landing card but mentioned to the immigration guy that I had a jar of Branston. I didn't think it counted. It does.

He made a note on my card that I had food but it was OK food. Had he not, and I'd been searched in customs, there would have been an automatic fine.

The guy also told me "welcome home", which I thought was nice.
Interesting.

I once declared a box of Mr. Kipling apple pies. It got me sent for a search. They're OK to bring in. The customs agent said I'd done the right thing declaring it, but the tone of voice suggested otherwise.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

indigoagain is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought jarred baby food and baby milk during the "Mad Cow" crisis into Canada, and were held at Customs with a grumpy baby for an hour while they decided what to do with us I hate Canadian Customs Officers (with apologies to any nice ones out there, because I've never met one yet!)
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Another tip would be to stick it in your suitcase and keep shtum.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
Another tip would be to stick it in your suitcase and keep shtum.
a) if I'd put a jar of Branston in my hand luggage, it would never have got past security in the UK

b) messing around with immigration/customs officials anywhere is not a good idea
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

a) if I'd put a jar of Branston in my hand luggage, it would never have got past security in the UK

b) messing around with immigration/customs officials anywhere is not a good idea
Once I was asked if I had any foodstuffs with me - I replied "Chewing gum" and was told quite sharply that if I joke with Canadian Immigration and Customs again - I'll never again be allowed to enter Canada. This was at Montreal.
Do as Souv says - declare everything and always assume the Immigration guy has had a really bad day.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

ab) messing around with immigration/customs officials anywhere is not a good idea
"Never mess with someone who is perfectly entitled to don a pair of surgical gloves and have a rummage around in places where the sun doesn't shine."

It's a simple rule but one I live by.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:38 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I came back to Toronto once with some liquorice root in my checked luggage. I had forgotten all about it and never thought anything of it until a charming little beagle with an Agriculture Canada jacket sat down beside my bag as I was waiting at the carousel for my other gear. No big deal but they did take it off me.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:13 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh! Dodged a bullet there then....when I came over I had an obscene amount of cadbury buttons and a couple of slabs of fruit & nut in my checked luggage. Didn't think to declare it as the chocolate is ok to bring in. Oooops, ah well, lesson learned.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

we always declare

but then again we bring back a full wheel of stilton every time

and the dog will need to be near death to miss that...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I must have a guardian angel... have come in with suitcases FULL of Xmas cake, Xmas pudding, Cadbury's chocolate, biscuits (cookies) etc. as presents for family. Was never asked and never told... maybe won't do this again though.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Last year when our parents came to visit they brought lots of bags of good old Irish Soda Bread flour for me - my poor mother in law didn't sleep for weeks beforehand as her sons at home had her convinced she was going to jail for drug smuggling - thankfully they were never once asked about what the bags of white stuff was and they thougth the Customs guys were all so friendly.

I dare say it would have been a different story if the flour was confiscated.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
we always declare

but then again we bring back a full wheel of stilton every time

and the dog will need to be near death to miss that...
Are you serious? Can you really bring in Stilton? I thought that you weren't allowed to bring in dairy produce.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:35 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Are you serious? Can you really bring in Stilton? I thought that you weren't allowed to bring in dairy produce.
for personal use.. up to 20kg

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/law-loi-eng.html
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not messing around- stick it in your suit case and no one will know. I've known people walk straight past the beagles with a lot worse than pickle on their person and not have any problems.

Christ, millions of dollars of drugs travel across the planet unchecked this way every day. There is a LOT of scaremongering on this forum. A helluva lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.