British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Bringing DVD films into Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/bringing-dvd-films-into-canada-350536/)

RJH Jan 24th 2006 7:59 pm

Bringing DVD films into Canada

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems in taking DVD's into Canada both their originals and the stuff they've taped off the telly?. I have quite a large collection that I want to bring over with me when I arrive.

Also on your good bringing in list, do you have to name each invidual film or can you just say 60 DVD's etc?.

Finally one last question if anyone can help, having looked at the customs site am I right in assuming that on landing you need to fill both the B4a and B4 forms out?, I will not have any goods to follow.

Many thanks

RJH

PMM Jan 24th 2006 9:38 pm

Re: Bringing DVD films into Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by RJH
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems in taking DVD's into Canada both their originals and the stuff they've taped off the telly?. I have quite a large collection that I want to bring over with me when I arrive.

Also on your good bringing in list, do you have to name each invidual film or can you just say 60 DVD's etc?.

Finally one last question if anyone can help, having looked at the customs site am I right in assuming that on landing you need to fill both the B4a and B4 forms out?, I will not have any goods to follow.

Many thanks

RJH

1. 60 DVDS and value.
2. Yes and yes, the a is just the continuation.

PMM

RJH Jan 25th 2006 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. 60 DVDS and value.
2. Yes and yes, the a is just the continuation.

PMM

Thanks for the reply PMM. Want everything to go as smoothly as possible when landing.

Tiaribbon Jan 29th 2006 2:07 am

Don't forget if you are bringing your DVD's with you, then you will also need to bring a Region 2 DVD player from the UK otherwise you won't be able to view them! We brought a UK DVD/VCR with us so we can still watch them.

offwego Jan 29th 2006 3:06 am

Your UK dvd player will not work in Canada because the output is different - PAL instead of NTSC.
You are better off getting a multi region DVD player which aren't available in Canada but you can buy them on the internet from the USA 220 Electronics in Illinois. They supply DVD players that you can use in any country in the world.

Biiiiink Jan 29th 2006 3:27 am

Originally Posted by offwego
You are better off getting a multi region DVD player which aren't available in Canada

I've just bought my 3rd DVD player in Canada (needed a new one for DivX this week!), all of them extremely cheap, and all of them multiregion and PAL/NTSC straight from the box... I got mine in London Drugs, but others have bought theirs from FutureShop, Wal-Mart...they're pretty common, no need to get a pricey one with import duty from the US :)

Tiaribbon Jan 29th 2006 3:39 am

Originally Posted by offwego
Your UK dvd player will not work in Canada because the output is different .....

Sorry but this is incorrect - ours does. We have a transformer which allows us watch our UK TV/VCR/DVD combi all the time.

RJH Jan 29th 2006 7:55 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The DVD player/recorder I thought about bringing to Canada was my cyberhome multiregion DVR1600 that bought from Asda. It says on the power supply that it does 100 - 240 volts and the 50/60 thing as well. On the settings it has 3 pal and 3 ntsc modes as well . I think this will hopefully be ok?. Am I right in assuming that all I need is one of those travel adaptor plugs to get it up and running?.

In order to play my films while I get settled in (Not going to buy a TV straight away), I thought about buying a laptop here in the UK (then buy a tv card when I get there ) and one of those portable dvd players with its own screen as a back up?.

RJH

CalgaryBlade Jan 29th 2006 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Sorry but this is incorrect - ours does. We have a transformer which allows us watch our UK TV/VCR/DVD combi all the time.

I think the confusion was that in your first post you didn't mention that you were playing them on a UK TV.

We brought a DVD recorder with us, it plays DVD's from every region but doesn't convert PAL to NTSC, so we bought another DVD player that does.

Curiously though the UK DVD recorder records NTSC stuff off the satellite and plays it back fine.

Oh and they are both made by Philips and one remote works both which is a pain if we're recording from the satellite and playing a DVD on the player. Pressing "Stop" stops both :(

yorkiebar99 Jan 30th 2006 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've just bought my 3rd DVD player in Canada (needed a new one for DivX this week!), all of them extremely cheap, and all of them multiregion and PAL/NTSC straight from the box... I got mine in London Drugs, but others have bought theirs from FutureShop, Wal-Mart...they're pretty common, no need to get a pricey one with import duty from the US :)

here! here!

we bought a dvd player from Future Shop 2 weeks ago for $19.99 and it is multi region. We bought 2 in fact just because we could!!

wickham Jan 30th 2006 11:23 am

Thought I had this sussed but been following this thread and not sure we have!

We have a region 1 dvd player and lots of kids dvds and home camcorder footage that we want to be able to play in Canada. We were going to take our UK tv and dvd player purely for this purpose. But am I right in thinking that we really don't need to bother ...just purchase a multi region player and Canadian TV and we'll be fine. Will this combination still play the home camcoder footage too? Sorry if this sounds really obvious to others but my husband and I aren't techies as you can tell!

Thanks for help everyone.

cov-canuck Jan 30th 2006 11:57 am

Originally Posted by wickham

We have a region 1 dvd player and lots of kids dvds and home camcorder footage that we want to be able to play in Canada. We were going to take our UK tv and dvd player purely for this purpose. But am I right in thinking that we really don't need to bother ...just purchase a multi region player and Canadian TV and we'll be fine. Will this combination still play the home camcoder footage too? Sorry if this sounds really obvious to others but my husband and I aren't techies as you can tell!

Do you mean region 1 or region 2? Region 1 is North America, Region 2 is UK. so your region 1 disks would already play in Canada?

Almost Canadian Jan 30th 2006 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by wickham

A multi region DVD player will allow you to play pretty much any DVD you have bought or have made yourself.

The only issue you then need to concern yourself about is the PAL/NTSC one. Generally UK TVs are PAL, generally North American TVs are NTSC. If the output of your DVD player is one or the other then a decent picture will only be obtained on a corresponding TV. However, most UK TVs are able to receive both signals without incident and it is possible to buy North American TVs that do likewise - just check that it is PAL/NTSC compatible when you but it. If you are taking your UK TV with you (and using a step up transformer to get over the voltage issue) it is very likely that your telly will cope with both (as your region 1 DVDs that you are currently playing are likely to NTSC).

Hope this helps

Darren

dougee Jan 30th 2006 12:54 pm

For info purposes: When you first use a laptop with Windows operating systems to watch a dvd you get 5 chances to choose what region you want to set the dvd player to. For example if you watch 5 region 2 DVD's your dvd player will then be locked to region 2 and won't play any other region dvds.

This can be overcome by using a third party program that will overcome the region lock. I have been using DVD Region (available from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2144.html) for some time and had no issues.

ray1968 Jan 30th 2006 12:57 pm

I strongly suggest that anyone considering a DVD player make sure it plays multi region and DIVX , (divx is the format most of the downloads off the internet come from) .....I got one from Cdn Tire for $50