Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing Dog to canada - final clarifications

Bringing Dog to canada - final clarifications

Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:00 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing Dog to canada - final clarifications

Hi all, our relocation to BC from the UK is almost complete. I have booked our dog (a labrador) on our direct flight from Gatwick to Vancouver with Air Transat. I have bought his IATA approved crate of a suitable size. I just want to check up on final details; I read an old thread on here from 2016 that suggested we need a health certificate from our Vet 2-3 days before we fly - has everyone had to do this? We already have a pet passport having travelled with him before in Europe and it is up to date, inc the rabies shot, and he is also up to date with vaccinations which are logged in his health card. So do we also need a 'fit to fly' certificate aswell? My only other question is do we need to give advance notice to Canada? I have checked the AIRS system which doesnt seem to suggest advance notice being required, but I just wanted to check on here!
Thanks in advance for responses.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing Dog to canada - final clarifications

Everything you need to know for Customs and Canadian Food Inspection Agency requirements but does include individual airline requirements
Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:44 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the response but I have already actually checked that website and it still leaves me with questions. For starters the export part from the UK isn't covered there, only import. And also it states "Some animals may require inspection by the CFIA at ports of entry into Canada. A CFIA inspector is not on duty at all times at ports of entry and may be called when required. Importers should use the Automated Import Reference System tool to determine if a CFIA inspection is required." but I have used the AIRS and it doesnt mention whether advance notice is required or not - which leads me to assume not, but I wanted to check whether anyone who has done this recently had to give advance notice.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are bring a mangy looking sickly looking dog from the UK then no advanced notice required or vet inspection on landing. CBSA will do a visual check (well they might do) to see if the mutt looks healthy. Present all documentation, pay the fee and thats it.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:22 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

OK, Phew, thank you. He is an extremely healthy looking Labrador so no worries there. And I have received an email this morning from DEFRA about export requirements so its lucky I checked as I had no idea we needed anything from the UK for the export, I had only looked at Canada's requirements! Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
OK, Phew, thank you. He is an extremely healthy looking Labrador so no worries there. And I have received an email this morning from DEFRA about export requirements so its lucky I checked as I had no idea we needed anything from the UK for the export, I had only looked at Canada's requirements! Thanks for your help.
Hi we may be coming over to Canada in the near future, and will hopefully be brining our 7 year old Labrador. Can I ask what size crate and where you got it from. TIA
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a letter from DEFRA stating you are traveling from a Rabies free country or an up to date Rabies shot administered at least 21 days BEFORE travel

You'll need three doses of the vaccine. The second dose is given seven days after the first. The third dose is given 14 or 21 days after the second. If you're planning to travel to an area where rabies is found, you should complete the full course of three doses before your departure.

Also, you will need a certificate from your Vet at most 5 days BEFORE you fly saying your dog is fit to travel
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:01 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Originally Posted by glendem4
You will need a letter from DEFRA stating you are traveling from a Rabies free country or an up to date Rabies shot administered at least 21 days BEFORE travel

You'll need three doses of the vaccine. The second dose is given seven days after the first. The third dose is given 14 or 21 days after the second. If you're planning to travel to an area where rabies is found, you should complete the full course of three doses before your departure.

Also, you will need a certificate from your Vet at most 5 days BEFORE you fly saying your dog is fit to travel
We have had the rabies shots for the pet passport several years ago which is then simply renewed/topped up every three years - his was only last year so is still valid. And yes, I have found out about the vet certificate today and spoken to my vet and got him booked in a couple of days before we fly
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:07 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi we may be coming over to Canada in the near future, and will hopefully be brining our 7 year old Labrador. Can I ask what size crate and where you got it from. TIA
We got the Sky Kennel Airline approved Vari Kennel crate from Doggie Solutions Ltd. You can read the size requirements on the IATA website but essentially the dog must be able to stand up, lie down and walk in/turn around.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/l...ges/index.aspx

By that advice we needed an Extra Large crate from doggie solutions even though their website recommends a Large for a Labrador. And our is a small Labrador (he's only 26kg) and I wouldn't have wanted smaller than the extra large. Finally you need to check with your airline because they may have size limits so you can't just go for the largest cage. Luckily Air Transat allow even bigger than the extra large that we got.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

A quick tip for dog moving that I remember... bring a bit of cord/thin-rope when you fly. You can tie two trolleys together which permits simple movement of an Extra Large crate in an airport!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

We got the Sky Kennel Airline approved Vari Kennel crate from Doggie Solutions Ltd. You can read the size requirements on the IATA website but essentially the dog must be able to stand up, lie down and
By that advice we needed an Extra Large crate from doggie solutions even though their website recommends a Large for a Labrador. And our is a small Labrador (he's only 26kg) and I wouldn't have wanted smaller than the extra large. Finally you need to check with your airline because they may have size limits so you can't just go for the largest cage. Luckily Air Transat allow even bigger than the extra large that we got.
Hi hope you don't mind me asking did you book your dog in Cargo? And how much roughly was it, our Lab is medium sized he normally weighs 29 kg but he got weighed last week and was 35kg 😨 by this I know he will be to heavy to go in the hold so will have to go in cargo.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:31 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi hope you don't mind me asking did you book your dog in Cargo? And how much roughly was it, our Lab is medium sized he normally weighs 29 kg but he got weighed last week and was 35kg 😨 by this I know he will be to heavy to go in the hold so will have to go in cargo.
Hi there, no I am pleased to say our dog is going in the hold on the same plane as us. His combined weight with the crate is 40kg (26+14) which was deemed acceptable. With Air Transat they said on the website up to 32kg combined weight is definitely ok and over that to call them. When I called the lady said that its only really dimensions that they have a limit for and our extra large crate is well within those dimensions. I booked our tickets and paid an extra CAD$275 to book him on the flight and they said they would confirm his being approved within 5 days - which they did, and he was.

Best thing to do is call airlines and check their policies.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, no I am pleased to say our dog is going in the hold on the same plane as us. His combined weight with the crate is 40kg (26+14) which was deemed acceptable. With Air Transat they said on the website up to 32kg combined weight is definitely ok and over that to call them. When I called the lady said that its only really dimensions that they have a limit for and our extra large crate is well within those dimensions. I booked our tickets and paid an extra CAD$275 to book him on the flight and they said they would confirm his being approved within 5 days - which they did, and he was.

Best thing to do is call airlines and check their policies.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be checking with our vets tomorrow regarding jabs and fit to fly etc we won't be coming over till June/July so will have time to get it all organised.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

ShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond reputeShirleyEB has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with DEFRA for export requirements (leaving the UK) incl. fit to fly requirements
Your AIRLINE for travel requirements (on the plane)
CFIA for import requirements ( bringing into Canada)

We did it last year from N. Ireland to Newfoundland. No booking a vet for inspection required. Canadian border staff reviewed both us humans' & our dog's paperwork. In fact she just looked at him & said how beautiful he was (and he was!) . They didn't even charge us the $35-40 mentioned on CFIA website- which we then spent on suitable beverages to toast our big move!