Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing chocolate through customs - one for FL?

Bringing chocolate through customs - one for FL?

Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing chocolate through customs - one for FL?

My 71-yr old father is coming to visit us in NS next week. This will be the first time he's been through international customs for quite a while, possibly in the region of 20 years, so I'm trying to make the process as smooth as possible by telling him what to expect.

I have heard that you are supposed to tick the 'dairy' box on the landing card if you're bringing in chocolate... is this correct? I've never done this (and I've been across many borders with chocolate lol) but the last thing I want is for my dad to be treated like a smuggler just because he's bringing me a few bars of chocolate! I'm pretty sure the 'dairy' box was not intended for chocolate, but that doesn't mean that they don't expect you to tick it.

Also, I was going to get him to bring me some spices - pre-packaged, Colemans/Schwartz type stuff (don't laugh). I presume that is fine too?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:23 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing chocolate through customs - one for FL?

I always check the yes box for dairy when carrying chocolate.
usually they just ask me what it is and have no problem when I tell them. I've never been told that I shouldn't mark it, but I've never been told that i definitely should either.

prepackaged stuff , dried like that is probably ok too.

the way i look at it is , be honest , tell them what you have. it it isn't allowed the worst they are going to do is take it off you. I really don't think anyone gets fined for an honest mistake, they get fined when they lie about what they have.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I always check the yes box for dairy when carrying chocolate.
usually they just ask me what it is and have no problem when I tell them. I've never been told that I shouldn't mark it, but I've never been told that i definitely should either.

prepackaged stuff , dried like that is probably ok too.

the way i look at it is , be honest , tell them what you have. it it isn't allowed the worst they are going to do is take it off you. I really don't think anyone gets fined for an honest mistake, they get fined when they lie about what they have.
Agree with Zoe. I've been taken to task for a contraband Toblerone, purchased at Heathrow.

Declare everything on the card. The worst that can happen is that it is taken away from you when you get to control. If you get into the baggage hall and a sniffer dogs finds something undeclared..........

FL will likely give you a better answer than this one but I think declaring everything is the best policy.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. I've clearly been doing it wrong up to now! Sounds like getting him to declare it is the thing to do, as you say, better to be safe than sorry.
I just never would have thought of chocolate as being dairy (yes I know it's called Dairy Milk )
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
My 71-yr old father is coming to visit us in NS next week. This will be the first time he's been through international customs for quite a while, possibly in the region of 20 years, so I'm trying to make the process as smooth as possible by telling him what to expect.

I have heard that you are supposed to tick the 'dairy' box on the landing card if you're bringing in chocolate... is this correct? I've never done this (and I've been across many borders with chocolate lol) but the last thing I want is for my dad to be treated like a smuggler just because he's bringing me a few bars of chocolate! I'm pretty sure the 'dairy' box was not intended for chocolate, but that doesn't mean that they don't expect you to tick it.

Also, I was going to get him to bring me some spices - pre-packaged, Colemans/Schwartz type stuff (don't laugh). I presume that is fine too?
Is he landing at Halifax though, they sometimes have sniffer dog checking everyone's bag for food while they wait in the queue. Might end up being a bit of a drama
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:00 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, I have never ticked "dairy" when I've been carrying chocolate, mainly because I didn't even think to do it! And I bring chocolate to Canada on pretty well every trip, including landing back on Sunday - 3 bars of Green&Black in my suitcase!

Oopsies.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Is he landing at Halifax though, they sometimes have sniffer dog checking everyone's bag for food while they wait in the queue. Might end up being a bit of a drama
only if it isn't declared.
It's a fallacy that you can't bring any food in. some things are prohibited for sure but most just need to be declared.

watching crappy TV shows like Border patrol , it never ceases to amaze me how many people lie because they think that answering "yes" will get them into trouble. when in reality what they are doing is fine , except for the fact they lied!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:03 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I've never checked the dairy box for chocolate either
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
only if it isn't declared.
It's a fallacy that you can't bring any food in. some things are prohibited for sure but most just need to be declared.

watching crappy TV shows like Border patrol , it never ceases to amaze me how many people lie because they think that answering "yes" will get them into trouble. when in reality what they are doing is fine , except for the fact they lied!
But you are in the queue before you get to the desk to declare it. In all honesty I don't think the dog is very good at his job, I've forgotten I've had food in my bag many times & he's never noticed
Old Sep 10th 2014, 3:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
The sniffer dog went wild over our bags in December as my wife had left an apple in her bag, picked up in the hotel at Heathrow for the kids. Of course, you're not supposed to bring fruit & veg in the country so it was a fair cop guv. We got taken into secondary by the dog handler - a very friendly CBSA officer - who handed out business cards for the dog, completed a form and gently admonished us for the oversight. Not much in the way of drama then and we were on our way for the onward flight to St John's.

The interesting thing was opening my bag later at home to find I had a banana left in the bag. Clearly once the dog had found the first piece of fruit he wasn't bothered about the second!

Interestingly the dog handler said one of the main things they are looking for is excessive cheese beyond the $20 allowance per person. Got to protect those Canadian dairy farmers haven't we!

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Sep 10th 2014 at 3:45 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Whoops, I have never ticked "dairy" when I've been carrying chocolate, mainly because I didn't even think to do it! And I bring chocolate to Canada on pretty well every trip, including landing back on Sunday - 3 bars of Green&Black in my suitcase!

Oopsies.
Green & Black's mostly make dark chocolate, though, which shouldn't have any dairy products in it. Unless you're bringing in the G&B milk chocolate, in which case I'd wonder why you're bothering...

I'm sure FL can give us a definitive answer, but I'm pretty certain you don't need to declare milk chocolate as a dairy product in any case - because it contains fats other than dairy fats. But, as has been pointed out, better to declare something you don't have to, rather than not declare something you ought to have declared!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Green & Black's mostly make dark chocolate, though, which shouldn't have any dairy products in it. Unless you're bringing in the G&B milk chocolate, in which case I'd wonder why you're bothering...

I'm sure FL can give us a definitive answer, but I'm pretty certain you don't need to declare milk chocolate as a dairy product in any case - because it contains fats other than dairy fats. But, as has been pointed out, better to declare something you don't have to, rather than not declare something you ought to have declared!
I brought three bars, one dark chocolate and ginger, one dark chocolate and burnt toffee, and one milk chocolate and almond. I rather like their chocolate...
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I brought three bars, one dark chocolate and ginger, one dark chocolate and burnt toffee, and one milk chocolate and almond. I rather like their chocolate...
I'll be over in half an hour
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Interestingly the dog handler said one of the main things they are looking for is excessive cheese beyond the $20 allowance per person. Got to protect those Canadian dairy farmers haven't we!
Oh yes

Can you bring more than $20 worth in if you declare it / pay the naffing tax?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really worth the effort? Lugging choclate around the world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.