Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Breed Specific Legislation - Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Breed Specific Legislation - Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breed Specific Legislation - Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Originally Posted by gryphea
Wow

Interesting article.

Surely this does show that some breeds are more vicious than others? Even though vicious is not a popular term on here....................
Not really, the article only looked at fatalities - I would suggest that an attack from a Rottie is more likely to result in a fatality that one from a Yorkshire Terrier. It does not support the theory that certain breeds are more likely to bite.

I accept that a bite from a larger dog is likely to be more serious than one from a smaller one, but that does not support the theory that certain breeds have a greater propensity for biting than others.

In addition, the article doesn't state whether any data was collected about the "owners" of the dogs. The article makes specific reference to this. I would rather face a sensible person with a GSD than an "moron" with a Shitzu anyday.

Each to their own
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
I am going to add a bit here about aggressive dogs I am a vet nurse, I worked for many years in an Ontario vet hosp before moving to UK. I have seen both nasty dogs and mean owners or stupid and un-informed in most cases.

ALL dogs will bite if threatened or hurt, but an aggressive dog is more prone to bite then not. Dogs at one time were bred for a certain purpose, german shepherds for herding, terriers are rat dogs, labs are retrievers, you get the point.
It is unfortunate but staffs are bred for fighting, to be mean and aggressive. Someone mentioned about more labs biting then staffs, well be fair, more people OWN labs then staffs, so yes incidents of biting will be higher, but % wise, I would NEVER own a staff I have seen so many unprovoked attacks on humans and other animals by staffs, more so then any other breed.
you can raise them in the most loving of homes, give them obedience lessons, but it is by nature to be aggressive.

It is unfortunate that all staffs are judged by the ones in the news, sad but true they are bred for aggressiveness
Straw Poll here:

Whilst growing up my parents had four dogs. A corgi, a Rough Collie a Samoyed and a Staffie. Which was more likely to bite? The corgi,
which appeared more likely to 'bite'? The Samoyed (she had a tendency to hide behind a wall and jump out to bark at people, as a game)
which administered the worst bite? The Rough Collie (just once she punctured my mothers cousions arm when he tried to take one of her days old puppies).
Which was the most biddable and good with children (and cats)? The Staffie.

Around where I live now the only dogs that are aggressive towards my dog are lapdog crosses(shitzu\bichon etc) a Collie Cross and a purse dog of indeterminate breeding. The Rottie, pitbull, staffies that live in the building at the end of the block are some of the gentlest dogs I have met.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:45 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Around where I live now the only dogs that are aggressive towards my dog are lapdog crosses(shitzu\bichon etc) a Collie Cross and a purse dog of indeterminate breeding. The Rottie, pitbull, staffies that live in the building at the end of the block are some of the gentlest dogs I have met.
This is why dog's suck and cats rule
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
This is why dog's suck and cats rule
Dogs Rool, Cats Drool (yeah I know I changed it)
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:48 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs Rool, Cats Drool (yeah I know I changed it)
We had both growing up and the Cats ruled the dogs with a rod of iron
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Staffordshire Bull Terriers ARE NOT pit bulls BTW.
While they were once used for bull baiting and fighting they are no longer bred to be "vicious." In fact they rate as one of the most family friendly, child safe dogs around.

The Canadian Kennel Clkub describes their temperament thus:

From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog
draws his character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and
tenacity. This, coupled with his affection for his friends, and children in
particular
; his off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes him the
foremost all-purpose dog.
Bash pit bulls all you want - a Staffie is not a pit bull.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Bash pit bulls all you want - a Staffie is not a pit bull.
Still basically just a wolf which cannot be trusted and is a wild dangerous animal at heart
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Straw Poll here:

Whilst growing up my parents had four dogs. A corgi, a Rough Collie a Samoyed and a Staffie. Which was more likely to bite? The corgi,
which appeared more likely to 'bite'? The Samoyed (she had a tendency to hide behind a wall and jump out to bark at people, as a game)
which administered the worst bite? The Rough Collie (just once she punctured my mothers cousions arm when he tried to take one of her days old puppies).
Which was the most biddable and good with children (and cats)? The Staffie.

I blame Dickens for getting the dogs a bad name
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:03 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Still basically just a wolf which cannot be trusted and is a wild dangerous animal at heart
Yawn.

It's obvious you're not a dog lover, but if you're going to argue against particular breed ownership, at least put forward some rational thoughts.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yawn.

It's obvious you're not a dog lover, but if you're going to argue against particular breed ownership, at least put forward some rational thoughts.

Slightly incorrect, I do like dogs I dislike the passion that some people have for them........like jumping into a ranging river to rescue one, the dog survives but the person dies, but there again its natural selection at work so maybe its a good thing.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

sad but true they are bred for aggressiveness

They're traditionally bred for dog aggressiveness not human aggressiveness.
The 2 don't necessarily go hand in hand
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It is unfortunate but staffs are bred for fighting, to be mean and aggressive. Someone mentioned about more labs biting then staffs, well be fair, more people OWN labs then staffs, so yes incidents of biting will be higher, but % wise, I would NEVER own a staff I have seen so many unprovoked attacks on humans and other animals by staffs, more so then any other breed.
you can raise them in the most loving of homes, give them obedience lessons, but it is by nature to be aggressive.

It is unfortunate that all staffs are judged by the ones in the news, sad but true they are bred for aggressiveness
Really, the Kennel Club doesn't list aggressiveness or fighting ability as a required trait and I would not imagine that a reputable breeder would look for such a trait either.

Academics at Southampton University would disagree with you: BRADSHAW J. W. S., GOODWIN D., 1999. Determination of behavioural traits of pure-breed dogs using factor analysis and cluster analysis; a comparison of studies in the USA and UK, Research in veterinary science; 66(1): 73-76

Now, the local tattooed *****wit at the local park may seek such a trait and will seek out such from puppy farmers, but this simply highlights what others and I have stated above - it's the owners that one needs to worry about.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Now, the local tattooed *****wit at the local park may seek such a trait and will seek out such from puppy farmers, but this simply highlights what others and I have stated above - it's the owners that one needs to worry about.
Very true.............oh for the right to shoot funkwits at times
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly incorrect, I do like dogs I dislike the passion that some people have for them........like jumping into a ranging river to rescue one, the dog survives but the person dies, but there again its natural selection at work so maybe its a good thing.
People have passions for all sorts of things in life, cars, wine, electronics or whatever inanimate objects that fuel it. I'd suggest that (com)passion for something with a heartbeat is more laudable that many other distractions.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
People have passions for all sorts of things in life, cars, wine, electronics or whatever inanimate objects that fuel it. I'd suggest that (com)passion for something with a heartbeat is more laudable that many other distractions.
They sure do but people don't risk their lives to save a TV or treat one like they would a child.......its just something I don't understand, a pet is a pet. Don't get me wrong I'm not heartless, I was upset when my Mum had to have the family dog put down just before Christmas 08.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.