Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Breakdown in new house buying costs

Breakdown in new house buying costs

Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakdown in new house buying costs

Originally Posted by Hangman
Have to agree with the above.

This info is five years old, so not totally up to date.

When we sold a property we owned in Lethbridge in 2001 the legal fees including all disbursements and GST came to $462.76 a far cry from $3000.

The only other cost was the real estate commission $5090.53

Cheers
Steve
In 2004 I paid $1436.15 to transfer the house I was living in from one name to another so $3,000 to handle an actual purchase with a mortgage and so on sounds about right. I'm always glad to leave the lawyer's office still owning the clothes I was wearing on the way in.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

sureshYYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Breakdown in new house buying costs

One should estimate about 2.5% to 3% of the purchase price when buying a new house, as follows
Land transfer on $300,000 is $2,975, lawyers fee on straight purchase $1000 plus disbursement, builder's closing cost (hydro, gas hookup etc including blvd. tree) $1500. Plus additional costs such as moving etc. So about 3% should be budgeted.
I am not sure if one can get a refund on GST on $300,000. Check website of Federal Govt , CRa then GST.