Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brampton Ontario

Brampton Ontario

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough
Default Brampton Ontario

Can anyone advise what the area of Brampton Ontario is like to live, in terms of leisure activities and general standards of living etc.

I have seen a role within this area which I may apply for but no nothing about it.

Many thanks Scotty 1972.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brampton Ontario

It has lots of facilities and good quality of life, but it's very suburban and in my opinion a bit bleak! It has changed from being a smallish town to a sprawling collection of new sub divisions in the past 20 years thanks to immigration. If you don't mind suburbia you might like it.

However it's definitely possible to work there and commute from some where else.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:08 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scotty1972
Can anyone advise what the area of Brampton Ontario is like to live, in terms of leisure activities and general standards of living etc.

I have seen a role within this area which I may apply for but no nothing about it.

Many thanks Scotty 1972.
We are in Brampton, Heart Lake area. There are lots of nice parks, leisure centres, shops and activities on offer in Brampton such as: ice skating, swimming, downhill and cross-country skiing, boating, theatre. You are only minutes away from the local countryside, and a reasonable drive to Toronto. There is a brand new hospital being built and the transit system is OK.

The main downside of Brampton is that developers have been allowed to build houses very close together in the brand new subdivisions, it's very stark and hardly any trees. We chose an older settled area (Heart Lake) with a bit more character.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Indigo and Interested for the feedback, I would probably be looking for an older area with character.

Are the transport areas good for coummuting etc, would it be possible to work in Brampton and commute from Toronoto?

Regards Scotty 1972
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Are the transport areas good for coummuting etc, would it be possible to work in Brampton and commute from Toronoto?
Regards Scotty 1972
I have sent you an email.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it'd have to be by car but that's not an unreasonable commute.

You should be aware that there's a large Indian population in Brampton, a comparable place in the UK might be Luton.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, it'd have to be by car but that's not an unreasonable commute.

You should be aware that there's a large Indian population in Brampton, a comparable place in the UK might be Luton.
oh heck - Lutons horrid!!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
oh heck - Lutons horrid!!
<says no more>
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Indigo
... downhill and cross-country skiing
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Thanks Indigo and Interested for the feedback, I would probably be looking for an older area with character.

Regards Scotty 1972
I work downtown in Toronto and several of the people I work with live in Brampton. Most of them drive but they start either quite early like 6-7am or late in the afternoon so their commutes driving are not at rush hour. I wouldn't want to drive into Toronto from anywhere during Rush Hour. Luckily however there is a GO Train line from Brampton to Unoin station and it's a very effective transport system, if not a little expensive. I used to commute from Newmarket which is an hour or so north of toronto using the GO Train and it's way quicker than driving with no parking issues etc. Of course you havethe downside of being dependant upon it and having problems if they are late (not often) or you miss them etc. It's all a balancing act between the two. I live downtown and take the bus or subway but I'd still rather drive to work if I could afford a car, purely for the convenience of not having to stand around waiting for buses or be dependent on their routes etc. The subway is fine if you are going somewhere near a subway station but if you want to go out of the way then it's annoying to have to transfer between several buses etc. and can add lots of time to a commute. I spent almost as much time walking to the train station, getting the subway from Union and walking the rest of the way to work as I did on the GO Train. 2 hours door to door with the train taking just over an hour. So if you are going to be working right downtown it's not too bad but if you have to then take the TTC around to get to your place of work it's evenmore hassle.

Drew
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by wizzard
I work downtown in Toronto and several of the people I work with live in Brampton. Most of them drive but they start either quite early like 6-7am or late in the afternoon so their commutes driving are not at rush hour. I wouldn't want to drive into Toronto from anywhere during Rush Hour. Luckily however there is a GO Train line from Brampton to Unoin station and it's a very effective transport system, if not a little expensive. I used to commute from Newmarket which is an hour or so north of toronto using the GO Train and it's way quicker than driving with no parking issues etc. Of course you havethe downside of being dependant upon it and having problems if they are late (not often) or you miss them etc. It's all a balancing act between the two. I live downtown and take the bus or subway but I'd still rather drive to work if I could afford a car, purely for the convenience of not having to stand around waiting for buses or be dependent on their routes etc. The subway is fine if you are going somewhere near a subway station but if you want to go out of the way then it's annoying to have to transfer between several buses etc. and can add lots of time to a commute. I spent almost as much time walking to the train station, getting the subway from Union and walking the rest of the way to work as I did on the GO Train. 2 hours door to door with the train taking just over an hour. So if you are going to be working right downtown it's not too bad but if you have to then take the TTC around to get to your place of work it's evenmore hassle.

Drew

I wouldn't consider commuting from Brampton into Toronto by car but the other way would be workable enough. I commuted out to Guelph (past Brampton) for several months last winter and that went ok, 1 hr 15 each way.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Scoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the roughScoobsta is a jewel in the rough

DBD33 - find it quite offensive the way you said that there are a lot of indians there so be aware... might I add that the Indians, namely the SIKHS, have been in canada as early as 1850 after serving the British in the wars... they are as established as a canadian as the early white settlers.... and please, yes LUTON is a dump, but Brampton is a hell of a lot better ....

to broaden your scope, I suggest you read some cultural history in the country you now call home...

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/sikh/section.html

regards
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:45 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Scoobsta
DBD33 - find it quite offensive the way you said that there are a lot of indians there so be aware... might I add that the Indians, namely the SIKHS, have been in canada as early as 1850 after serving the British in the wars... they are as established as a canadian as the early white settlers.... and please, yes LUTON is a dump, but Brampton is a hell of a lot better ....

to broaden your scope, I suggest you read some cultural history in the country you now call home...

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/sikh/section.html

regards
Pardon my late reply. There are a lot of people from India, not just Sikhs, living in Brampton. If you can produce some sort of statistic to dispute that go ahead. I doubt you can. There are a lot of Italians living in Woodbridge and a lot of Greeks living along the Danforth in, er, Greektown. The ethnic composition of an area may attract or repel people but it is a material fact to consider especially when moving to one of the world's most ghettoized cities.
There's no good reason to be offended by my accurately describing the population of a place.

I do happen to think Brampton is a godawful dump, an opinion by which you are entitled to be offended if you so choose, but really, it's just a dirtier Milton Keynes, so I fail to see why "dump" should be thought a strong word.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
I do happen to think Brampton is a godawful dump, an opinion by which you are entitled to be offended if you so choose, but really, it's just a dirtier Milton Keynes, so I fail to see why "dump" should be thought a strong word.
Nobody has sprung to Lutons defense here!

Milton Keynes is ok though, not a bad place at all and i could live there, i just dont and live 10 miles down the road.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:57 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Nobody has sprung to Lutons defense here!

Milton Keynes is ok though, not a bad place at all and i could live there, i just dont and live 10 miles down the road.
MK "built by someone who heard about America on the radio" says Bill Bryson.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.