Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Borrowing money for the first time in Canada

Borrowing money for the first time in Canada

Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Borrowing money for the first time in Canada

Hi all

My husband and I have been living here for 3 years now, neither of us have well paid jobs but we have an opportunity to buy into the company he works for. This will give us better salaries.

We we thought we would start by asking credit union for the money but they have said no. We are only asking for $30k secured against our home which has no mortgage. We stupidly volunteered information about our property in the UK thinking that we would look better having multiple assets. They have rejected us based on the fact we have a mortgage there even though it’s rented and the rent covers the repayments with money to spare. We also have 8 months worth of payments in the bank should there be an issue. The LTV on that is pretty low at 35%.

Any thoughts? Feeling a bit stuck and like there’s always something standing in the way of us progressing here.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Borrowing money for the first time in Canada

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Hi all

My husband and I have been living here for 3 years now, neither of us have well paid jobs but we have an opportunity to buy into the company he works for. This will give us better salaries.

We we thought we would start by asking credit union for the money but they have said no. We are only asking for $30k secured against our home which has no mortgage. We stupidly volunteered information about our property in the UK thinking that we would look better having multiple assets. They have rejected us based on the fact we have a mortgage there even though it’s rented and the rent covers the repayments with money to spare. We also have 8 months worth of payments in the bank should there be an issue. The LTV on that is pretty low at 35%.

Any thoughts? Feeling a bit stuck and like there’s always something standing in the way of us progressing here.
Mortgage broker?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine the credit union's hesitation is because what you're using the loan money for, to buy shares in a company. If the value of the company tanks for example, they are likely afraid that you will walk away and not pay back the loan, even if it is secured against your house. If you were using the money to buy a physical asset (car, etc.), or something with less risk, they'd probably be ok with it.

I think dbd has the right idea, remortgaging part of your current home's value is probably the best way to get some more money no questions asked. Maybe avoid saying what you're using the money for if you can.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I can imagine the credit union's hesitation is because what you're using the loan money for, to buy shares in a company. If the value of the company tanks for example, they are likely afraid that you will walk away and not pay back the loan, even if it is secured against your house. If you were using the money to buy a physical asset (car, etc.), or something with less risk, they'd probably be ok with it.

I think dbd has the right idea, remortgaging part of your current home's value is probably the best way to get some more money no questions asked. Maybe avoid saying what you're using the money for if you can.
The thing is mortgage brokers deal in all sorts of business and private loans, not just simple mortgages. You do have to be careful about the source of the funds (if the word "vig" is used think twice) but they'll have creative means to raise the cash.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

It could be, they didn’t mention that though but I know they can be funny about what you want it for. They seemed more concerned with the UK mortgage though. Apparently they can’t include the property as an asset because it’s in another country but can include the debt from it. Wondering if I should just not mention the property the next time. Credit union asked about it because I showed them our tax documents that declare it.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
The thing is mortgage brokers deal in all sorts of business and private loans, not just simple mortgages. You do have to be careful about the source of the funds (if the word "vig" is used think twice) but they'll have creative means to raise the cash.
what do you mean by “vig”?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

what do you mean by “vig”?
It's a form of loan interest involving severe penalties for non, or late, payment.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a form of loan interest involving severe penalties for non, or late, payment.
Thanks, I’m pretty clueless when it comes to borrowing money.

Old Aug 15th 2019, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are there any loan companies or government schemes that specifically deal with newcomers and helping them with businesses etc? I’m sure not really having any credit history here doesn’t help. Not sure we are still classed as newcomers though if we have been here for 3 years.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about this scheme - home equity loan - or have you just applied for a personal loan?

The HEL seems fairly straightforward involving only income proof and the property you have the equity in. You may have to pay a fee for that valuation.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are you talking about this scheme - home equity loan - or have you just applied for a personal loan?

The HEL seems fairly straightforward involving only income proof and the property you have the equity in. You may have to pay a fee for that valuation.
We applied for a mortgage against our home I think, the woman taking our details down was a bit vague
Old Aug 15th 2019, 10:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for a mortgage against our home I think, the woman taking our details down was a bit vague
Yes, but it may not have been the Home Equity type which is quite different to a personal loan which may include home as security.

If you have a look at the link (see if it sounds like what you did) and then look at some bank websites, you can apply on line and see what questions are asked. Try going through the on line application - you can always cancel from it - and see if there's anything about property other than your current home.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, but it may not have been the Home Equity type which is quite different to a personal loan which may include home as security.

If you have a look at the link (see if it sounds like what you did) and then look at some bank websites, you can apply on line and see what questions are asked. Try going through the on line application - you can always cancel from it - and see if there's anything about property other than your current home.
Ok, thanks
Old Aug 16th 2019, 5:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Secured line of credit - https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/persona...of-credit.html but that is very risky, you could lose not only the business but your home too if the business went under and you couldn't make monthly repayments .

Or a HELOC
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Aug 16th 2019, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Secured line of credit - https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/persona...of-credit.html but that is very risky, you could lose not only the business but your home too if the business went under and you couldn't make monthly repayments .

Or a HELOC
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I know, I don’t particularly want to secure against the house but the interest rates are high on the unsecured lines of credit.

I still have the issue of them not granting me anything though due to no credit history and a “large” uk mortgage. I was even initially turned down last year for a measly $500 overdraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.