Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Booze etc from US

Booze etc from US

Old May 18th 2012, 2:55 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booze etc from US

So, off to Niagara and into the US over the weekend. Will be out of Canada less than 24 hours. As we all know, CBSA enforce the rules re tax free allowances entirely randomly and with no attention to the actual law but based on mood. So, my question is, how much booze and clothes can I try to bring back (declaring them) while hoping to not be charged duty?
Old May 18th 2012, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booze etc from US

Originally Posted by lmartin999
So, off to Niagara and into the US over the weekend. Will be out of Canada less than 24 hours. As we all know, CBSA enforce the rules re tax free allowances entirely randomly and with no attention to the actual law but based on mood. So, my question is, how much booze and clothes can I try to bring back (declaring them) while hoping to not be charged duty?
So if they strictly adhered to the law then being absent for less than 24 hours means you pay on all purchases being there is no personal exemption for less than 24 hours. Do you prefer they strictly adhere to the law and charge taxes or give travellers a bit of a break if not charging them?
Some of us prefer not to be known as the grocery Police.
Old May 18th 2012, 4:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Just stick them in the back of the car and say nothing. I regularly bring back 120 beers plus five or six big boxes of wine. Canadian border guards are dopey ****s. In my experience I don't think they hire the best and the brightest.
Old May 18th 2012, 11:08 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So if they strictly adhered to the law then being absent for less than 24 hours means you pay on all purchases being there is no personal exemption for less than 24 hours. Do you prefer they strictly adhere to the law and charge taxes or give travellers a bit of a break if not charging them?
Some of us prefer not to be known as the grocery Police.
I didn't realise they had discretion not to adher to the law. Interesting.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We have a certain amount of discretion or common sense when allowed.
Im sure you know people who have been waved up the road with maybe up to a couple of hundred dollars in purchases for a same day trip. That was either the BSO using discretion or being told by management to do it so there are no 2 hour line ups when crossing back.
Seems like we are always in a no win situation. Enforce the rules and get slagged off or not enforce them and get slagged off.
At the end of the day its a job.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
Just stick them in the back of the car and say nothing. I regularly bring back 120 beers plus five or six big boxes of wine. Canadian border guards are dopey ****s. In my experience I don't think they hire the best and the brightest.
Thats because we have to deal with travellers who are also dopey ****s.
That way we are on the same intelligence level as them so we can understand each other
Old May 18th 2012, 2:02 pm

We have a certain amount of discretion or common sense when allowed.
Im sure you know people who have been waved up the road with maybe up to a couple of hundred dollars in purchases for a same day trip. That was either the BSO using discretion or being told by management to do it so there are no 2 hour line ups when crossing back.
Seems like we are always in a no win situation. Enforce the rules and get slagged off or not enforce them and get slagged off.
At the end of the day its a job.
Hm. I was told that there was no discretion when I asked about this and that anyone bringing goods over the border outside of the allowance should be paying duty.

Seems a pretty unfair system and pretty hard to defend.

Is there anything in writing about the extent of the discretion?
Old May 18th 2012, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hm. I was told that there was no discretion when I asked about this and that anyone bringing goods over the border outside of the allowance should be paying duty.

Seems a pretty unfair system and pretty hard to defend.

Is there anything in writing about the extent of the discretion?
Im not defending it merely pointing it out. Usually Operational Requirements is given as a determining factor as to how much is to be waved up the road.
I have no problems if they tell us to collect on all purchases nor have problems when they tell us not to collect. If everybody had to pay then the line ups would be horrendous on weekends.
I work at an airport so it really doesnt affect me.
So what would you have us do for the same day shoppers?
1. Make everyone pay
2. Use discretion

If goods are duty free but subject to in your case 13% HST then we would collect $13 on every hundred declared. That $13 is split between the Province of Ontario and the Fed Govt and goes into general revenue streams to help pay for programmes and services.
So you decide if shoppers should be paying taxes or not as we just legally collect it.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd denude myself at the mall, return wearing all new clothes and with a bag of dog food in the car. I'd go to Premier Wines and pick up 2 bottles. I'd declare the two bottles and be prepared to pay if asked.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd denude myself at the mall, return wearing all new clothes and with a bag of dog food in the car. I'd go to Premier Wines and pick up 2 bottles. I'd declare the two bottles and be prepared to pay if asked.
It used to amaze me the steps shoppers would take to sneak back in the goods they had bought down there. Vodka in the washer fluid container of the car, taking down an empty Canadian cigarette packet or 2 and restocking them, wearing several layers of new clothing and the brand new look runners or shoes.
Now I just shake my head.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

It used to amaze me the steps shoppers would take to sneak back in the goods they had bought down there. Vodka in the washer fluid container of the car, taking down an empty Canadian cigarette packet or 2 and restocking them, wearing several layers of new clothing and the brand new look runners or shoes.
Now I just shake my head.
Sounds like East Berliners at Checkpoint Charlie, desperate to smuggle back some ordinary consumer treasures to lighten up the deprived and joyless existence on their own side.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Sounds like East Berliners at Checkpoint Charlie, desperate to smuggle back some ordinary consumer treasures to lighten up the deprived and joyless existence on their own side.

Only the guards at Checkpoint Charlie were more easygoing.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Believe it or not I actually worked at Checkpoint Charlie when the wall was up. It was mainly West Berliners and Allied troops buying the crystal and other stuff at what was then 4 to 1 ratio in the Deutsche Mark. A quick trip to the currency exchange (all highly illegal) cross over and buy the stuff.
Ah the good old days
Old May 18th 2012, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise they had discretion not to adher to the law. Interesting.
Does every police officer pull over every driver travelling over the speed limit? Does every auditor at CRA (or whatever they are called) dispute every tax return filed, even when it appears that something doesn't appear to be correct?

For someone that is an educator of others, do you appear remarkably clueless sometimes.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just as anyone driving shouldn't exceed speed limits and follow other laws; pedestrians shouldn't jay walk; cycle helmets are compulsory in some places; shops shouldn't open on certain days etc etc

But the letter of the law is not always applied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.