Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

boots (cargo ones) in small SUVs/crossovers

boots (cargo ones) in small SUVs/crossovers

Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: boots (cargo ones) in small SUVs/crossovers

Originally Posted by gryphea
Just read the website and it appears it will be carried on. On the basis of the cars there I might expect the 2008 rogue to get at least $1000 maybe $1500 rebate, the 2.3 L escape should as well though , the 2007 model got 2000 for fwd and 1500 for AWD

Gryph
It will depend if its classed as a truck or a car...

Personally I think it ludicrous that the Escape qualifies and that the government is tacitly encouraging people to buy a small trucks instead of a far more efficient mid sizes car that get no rebate at all...

An environmentally friendly truck is surely a contradiction in terms.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roos here
Hi Gryph,

The ford escape is almost identical to the latest shape Ford Maverick in the UK. So if you went to have a look at one of them that'd be a good start.

We just got one of the new 4 door wranglers over here, but financing it wasn't the easiest...

Dave
wrangler looks fun- could you not get financing then?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
It will depend if its classed as a truck or a car...

Personally I think it ludicrous that the Escape qualifies and that the government is tacitly encouraging people to buy a small trucks instead of a far more efficient mid sizes car that get no rebate at all...

An environmentally friendly truck is surely a contradiction in terms.
it does seem odd- maybe they realise that canadians love thier trucks!

Gryph
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

yeah we got financing but we had to jump through hoops and provide a security deposit.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:25 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I've had a CRV for 6 years, great mileage, zero repairs.

I never tried to put my boot in it, they are usually on my feet, unless I decide to take a cruise on one.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:43 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

As a long time Ford owner (2 Escapes, Explorer, Mustang, 2 Fiestas(!)) now cursed with a Honda I have to say that the Honda is a huge step down. The Fords were reliable and cheap to run while the Honda's frequent trips to the dealership require massive funding and that's even after the class action suits forced them to extend the warranty on various bits. The Ford dealers operated a system of appointments so something like an oil change didn't require leaving the car for the day. The Honda dealers do not. They do give out subway tokens and the one I go to is very gay positive for which I commend it but that's really not as useful to me as a car that works well.
Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon one. Hondas are generally fairly reliable.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon one. Hondas are generally fairly reliable.
The problems are mainly to do with the design, not the construction, so I don't think it's that. The biggest design flaw is that the body flexes enough that the windshield cracks in normal use. They replace it under warranty as often as we can be bothered to take it in but many of the windshields are poorly installed and the wind whistles around the edges. When we have one that doesn't whistle we tend to leave it in place even after it's a maze of cracks rather than have to go through the whistling business again. That said, the fuel tank leak when the car was new was probably an assembly error; that was kind of scary, people at a traffic light pointed out the puddle.

It tracks poorly and is very unstable in crosswinds. It frightens me that the OH goes out in it. I hope that, come the winter, she'll use the Land Cruiser.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gryph

I had a Ford Escape (an 05) for 2 years when we first came over. I liked its stability on icy roads and, although I don't know the exact specs, the boot could hold a good weeks shop or both of our large mutts for short drives to the vet. On the downside, the inside was very bland (beige plastic) and it just lacked oommpphh (though I'm a careful, slow driver the majority of the time, when I decide to overtake something, I want to get it over with as quickly as possible!). Mileage was ok in retrospect though obviously a lot more than a small car.

When the lease was up I bought an 03 jeep cherokee. A little bigger all round but similar size, shape of car. More room in boot despite odd angles, but the seats are easy to put down when I need to. Doggies are slightly more comfy. You need to shift to 4x4 in this one rather than just let the car decide. Overall, its more rough and ready, inside not so bland but a little more basic (the new ones might be better). Mileage is pants (though don't ask me what but its as bad as a full-size truck). The wind catches you more in this one too.

What I wanted was a AWD small hatchback but with a bit more height clearance - but couldn't afford anything as they are just now coming out new. Most cars are saloon type style here - in the past, only the SUVs had the hatchback. So the jeep is my temporary ride until I can afford what I really want or the prices go down.

What else have you considered? No clue how reliable etc but there is the Saturn Vue (which I've heard good things about); the Chevy Equinox and the Pontiac Torrent. You can see them here: http://www.gmcanada.com/gm/english/s.../suv?adv=72457
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:29 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I live in Snow Country, often we are out before the ploughs, I have replace the windshield once, thanks to Gravel from a passing truck, I have never even had the CRV tuned up , change oil every 5,000, almost 160,000km.

My Volvo, a nightmare.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladymoose
What I wanted was a AWD small hatchback but with a bit more height clearance - but couldn't afford anything as they are just now coming out new.
Subaru Imprezza (wagon)....they have been making them for years
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:07 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i found that website useful for car comparison... no reality check yet since i haven't bought one 'til now.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ladymoose
Hi Gryph

I had a Ford Escape (an 05) for 2 years when we first came over. I liked its stability on icy roads and, although I don't know the exact specs, the boot could hold a good weeks shop or both of our large mutts for short drives to the vet. On the downside, the inside was very bland (beige plastic) and it just lacked oommpphh (though I'm a careful, slow driver the majority of the time, when I decide to overtake something, I want to get it over with as quickly as possible!). Mileage was ok in retrospect though obviously a lot more than a small car.

When the lease was up I bought an 03 jeep cherokee. A little bigger all round but similar size, shape of car. More room in boot despite odd angles, but the seats are easy to put down when I need to. Doggies are slightly more comfy. You need to shift to 4x4 in this one rather than just let the car decide. Overall, its more rough and ready, inside not so bland but a little more basic (the new ones might be better). Mileage is pants (though don't ask me what but its as bad as a full-size truck). The wind catches you more in this one too.

What I wanted was a AWD small hatchback but with a bit more height clearance - but couldn't afford anything as they are just now coming out new. Most cars are saloon type style here - in the past, only the SUVs had the hatchback. So the jeep is my temporary ride until I can afford what I really want or the prices go down.

What else have you considered? No clue how reliable etc but there is the Saturn Vue (which I've heard good things about); the Chevy Equinox and the Pontiac Torrent. You can see them here: http://www.gmcanada.com/gm/english/s.../suv?adv=72457
Thanks

I have looked at those but we were really after something that is slightly more enviro friendly- all the ones I mentioned have engines around 2.3 to 2.5 l.

I think the GMC ones all have around 3.5 V6s!

Thanks for info about escape though!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lof
i found that website useful for car comparison... no reality check yet since i haven't bought one 'til now.
Thanks

USeful site