Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

booming canada

booming canada

Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

strength is on a distinguished road
Default booming canada

can somebody tell me where in canada are they having trouble filling jobs.looked at occupations under pressure, find something that that I was doing last year. But dont seem to be getting any replies back been on the hrc website.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:44 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: booming canada

Here are lists of Occupations under Pressure.

I don't know from whom you have not been getting replies. If you're referring to the fact that prospective employers have not responded to you, it may be because of the way you're communicating with them. For example, you may be e-mailing them (which you should not be doing, at least not as your first means of communication), instead of phoning them (which is what you should be doing). If you do send an unsolicited resume, you should send a hard copy by snail mail (conventional post) and follow up with a phone call about a week after the prospective employer has received it.

I suggest you read the Wiki article called Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada.
x
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

strength is on a distinguished road

thanks judy, the jobs that i am applying for is under occupations under pressure. But perhaps I might try phoning them instead.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:52 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Unless there is a dire shortage in an industry, many employers are wanting to hire employees right away, to fill an immediate need. Part of your sales pitch should be to convince them how you might be a better prospect, rather than just another candidate.

There is absolutely no substitute for vising the area of interest and meeting potential employers face to face. This demonstrates initiative and commitment. If a trade show or conference for your profession is scheduled in the future, plan on attending, excellent networking opportunities.

As Judy has already pointed out, E-mail is the least likely route for successful job hunting. The old fashioned way is still the best. Prepare a stunning looking resume and well crafted cover letter. Identify potential employers, even if nothing is advertised, call and ask who does the hiring, get the spelling of their name and send your package to them. Follow up after about 2 weeks to make sure they received it and try to arrange a meeting. Line up as many as you can for your time in country. I made four visits prior to landing, one of which was to a trade show and ended up with 3 job offers. It was a pretty frustrating process though and lots of work. My first job came as a result of someone knowing someone who was looking and in an area I had never thought of pursuing.

There is a cost attached, but that is part of the cost of immigrating and securing a job. If your visits cost £2000 and you get a job paying $60,000 then that seems a pretty good investment. There are of course never any guarantees of success.

Develop your own job hunting plan in writing, like a business plan. Even do a schematic such as a flow chart. This will help you get through the process and organise your efforts.