Bonfire Night

Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bonfire Night

Yep, I am missed bonfire night at my aunties this year! We always go! My uncle stood at the bottom of the garden making burgers and sausage rolls on the bbq, then all the lads setting of the fireworks!

Has anyone seen V for Vendetta?

Jo x
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:37 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheVickers

Jo x
Yes! Good film and part of the DVD collection.

There is a tradition of celebrating Nov 5th in Newfoundland. However it's all about having a fire but without the guy or the fireworks. And of course there is the dark side of local idiots going around setting fires in dumpsters, trash piles etc.

Anyway we have a guy fawkes celebration last night at AX Towers. Admittably the fire was in an outdoor fireplace so a little small but we did have fireworks for the 'ooooh, ahhhhh take cover!' moments that are my overriding memories of Guy Fawkes. Our Canadian friends here loved it so I think it will be an annual event. Good to carry on the tradition!

AX
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:22 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Bonfire night sounds a bit rough where you come from.
ROFL!!
I missed that first time around and had to re-read it to realise what you meant. Gawd, sooooooo slow!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Victoria Day (or May 2-4), ritual may be the only bit of Canadiana we've adopted. That weekend is the traditional start of the camping season. I usually take the Monday off and we make a point of going camping.

We come back in the afternoon of the Monday and gather up sleeping bags and blankets and trudge down to the beach. The beach is full of people, thousands of people, drinking wine and smoking joints as is the local custom. Many children have luminous bands around their necks. There's an organized firework display launched from a spit so that the fireworks arc over the water to mass murmuring from the crowd about their retinas being burned, dude.

After the organized display people let off their own fireworks. There's an element of danger since rockets launched from sand are wont to go sideways but the combined display is impressive and charming. One can see fireworks all along the beach as far as Scarborough; where the sound of the firecrackers blends with that of the guns.

Guy Fawkes isn't a big deal here but we had a little fire and burned a rather feeble effigy of Mrs. Thatcher. Fires are allowed in Toronto so long as you each hold a wiener. When the children were small we made more of an effort, putting Mrs Thatcher in a wig and a dress and all and building a proper pyre. I suspect that's something people don't do anymore in England but one must strive to preserve one's heritage through the generations.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:23 pm
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by VCox
This is one UK tradition I'm really going to miss, I love going to an organised bonfire.

Can you buy fireworks for private use in Canada? I always thought the backyard ones are pretty naff but it'd be better than nothing And I don't suppose you can have a little bonfire in your own yard?

I remember looking at the fireworks last year thinking it'd be my last ever Guy Fawkes night. And here we are one year on and still in the UK.... This time last year we'd just put the house on the market and this time round we're hopefully about to exchange. If we're still here for bonfire night 2007 then something has gone drastically wrong !

V
Hi

We and the kids attended our last (hopefully) Bonfire Night here in Newcastle last night. It was a great display but I won't miss them, from the beginning of October we have had to put up with a terrified black labrador trying to dig herself under furniture to avoid the bangs that will probably continue into the New Year. Mind you, we won't have the dog with us in Canada so it wouldn't be such a worry.
Suzanne
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:58 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suspect that's something people don't do anymore in England but one must strive to preserve one's heritage through the generations.
You think so? Have a look in the Brighton Argus and see what was going on in Lewes last night. They have toned it down a bit there, though. I don't think they burn the Pope any more (they did do a "pikey" caravan a few years back, if I recall).

I was in Lewes two Saturdays ago. People were already wearing team colours.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, Id MUCH rather go see a fantastic firework display on a warm summer evening than a freezing November one.

Give me Canada Day or Victoria Day and the summer festivals any time over Guy Fawkes.

We get three or four lots of fireworks a year here. But if you really miss it and want to freeze your arse off there is nothing to stop you getting hold of your own fireworks. At least they will be cheaper this time of year I guess.

If we want a bonfire then we have a weiner roast and make hotdogs and smores over the fire.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 6th 2006 at 1:22 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:46 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VCox
This is one UK tradition I'm really going to miss, I love going to an organised bonfire.

Can you buy fireworks for private use in Canada? I always thought the backyard ones are pretty naff but it'd be better than nothing And I don't suppose you can have a little bonfire in your own yard?

I remember looking at the fireworks last year thinking it'd be my last ever Guy Fawkes night. And here we are one year on and still in the UK.... This time last year we'd just put the house on the market and this time round we're hopefully about to exchange. If we're still here for bonfire night 2007 then something has gone drastically wrong !

V
We've been listening to them going off for the last 3 weeks. Not a fan. Used to enjoy the symphony of fire in Vancouver though. From the comfort of my spare bedroom window on the north shore.

I thought they celebrated it in Newfoundland?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
We've been listening to them going off for the last 3 weeks. Not a fan. Used to enjoy the symphony of fire in Vancouver though. From the comfort of my spare bedroom window on the north shore.

I thought they celebrated it in Newfoundland?
We do. The fire bit as opposed to the fireworks & guy bit. See my earlier post!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hell, Id MUCH rather go see a fantastic firework display on a warm summer evening than a freezing November one.

Give me Canada Day or Victoria Day and the summer festivals any time over Guy Fawkes.

We get three or four lots of fireworks a year here. But if you really miss it and want to freeze your arse off there is nothing to stop you getting hold of your own fireworks. At least they will be cheaper this time of year I guess.

If we want a bonfire then we have a weiner roast and make hotdogs and smores over the fire.
We used to have fireworks all summer in Toronto. We'd watch them from the island, boats, Ontario Place or the tops of tall buildings. Alas, the major sponsor was Benson and Hedges so they fell victim to the forces of political correctness (J. Layton prop.). Now there's just Victoria Day, Canada Day and July 4th.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:04 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

Saw the V for Vendetta film and liked it a lot. I read the old comic book version of it years ago - Guy Fawkes was always a bit of a (Yorkshire) anti-hero to me. I've heard it joked he was the only person to enter parliament with honourable intentions.

Originally Posted by TheVickers
Yep, I am missed bonfire night at my aunties this year! We always go! My uncle stood at the bottom of the garden making burgers and sausage rolls on the bbq, then all the lads setting of the fireworks!

Jo x
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

You can buy fireworks in some provinces - which one are you heading to? I know for sure they are available in Ontario and New Brunswick - there were guys selling them out of the back of trucks on street corners in Toronto, which rather surprised me coming from NS, where they are not publicly available. You generally see them turn up in the summer - as others have mentioned, Victoria Day (3rd Monday in May) and Canada Day are the two big times for fireworks. You would have to check the local government rules around bonfires in your backyard. It's not uncommon (or wasn't when I was growing up) for people to burn leaves in their backyard in the fall, but I'm not sure if there are restrictions depending on how close to the central core of the city you live.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII

It sounds a bit cheezy, but it reminded me of some historic battle ground, as the sky was illuminated dark orange & you could hear fireworks/smell the fires EVERYWHERE!!! .... The good old days!
I couldn't smell them but flying into Heathrow on Bonfire night the other year was pretty spectacular!!

I was reading about the Devon rugby club who watched a video projection of a bonfire this year "to avoid the costs of meeting health and safety regulations" - how sad is that?! http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...434805,00.html
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzyanne
Hi

We and the kids attended our last (hopefully) Bonfire Night here in Newcastle last night. It was a great display but I won't miss them, from the beginning of October we have had to put up with a terrified black labrador trying to dig herself under furniture to avoid the bangs that will probably continue into the New Year. Mind you, we won't have the dog with us in Canada so it wouldn't be such a worry.
Suzanne
When you say "last" Suzyanne, where are you heading to? (forgive me if you mentioned it elsewhere, as I just caught it in this post)