Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bloody Mosquito's

Bloody Mosquito's

Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bloody Mosquito's

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Ermm - would one of these "all over the world where the mosquito likes to eat ya" places have been Canada, because, believe me - they're a law unto themselves here and nothing short of DEET will deter the buggers in BC, that's for sure. We rarely eat a meal that doesn't contain fresh garlic and they're still relentless
Yes it includes Alberta prairie! The garlic helps it doesnt always stop them, on that I used a repellent in an orange container out there quite good I think it was Bens something! cant quite remember the right name. On the label is should say the content of the chemical, this is usually around 10 - 15% but the really strong ones are 25%, and if they are much higher they start to irritate the skin. You obviously have to avoid the strong ones on the kiddies an the gingers, sorry I mean the fairer skinned strawberry blondes!
The chemical is deet, or deat probably pronounced not spelt that way!
ooops! you mentioned deet already!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Deep Woods Off has always worked fo me when I've been in Goose Bay or Alaska and at BBQ's G+T was the way ahead but can't confirm to it's effectiveness as we couldn't really remeber much, someting to do with quinnin (not sure of the spelling). I'll still take the mossies over the UK.
Shaun
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
...and at BBQ's G+T was the way ahead but can't confirm to it's effectiveness as we couldn't really remeber much, someting to do with quinnin (not sure of the spelling). I'll still take the mossies over the UK.
Shaun
PMSL The quinine has anti-malerial properties, but I've never heard of anyone using it as a mozzie repellant. Sounds like fun though!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

What is G+T?
Is it Gin and Tonic?
I know that whiskey works for a cold, when you are under 5 you get a nip of hot whiskey with a wee bit of sugar and water. When your ten its two nips, I am 40 next year and I hope to have the cold all year, again hic!
Achooo! hats me away for the auld cold remedy!
It works for mossies too, who cares when they bite just have another nip!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Hi Dinger

It is Gin and Tonic. Not sure where the original theory came from, I was on Tornado's at the time and it's worked for the past eighteen years. Enjoy your hot toddie I dare say it's starting to get a bit sharp in Germany..

Shaun
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Tonic water used to have quinine in it. It no longer does.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
Hi Dinger

It is Gin and Tonic. Not sure where the original theory came from, I was on Tornado's at the time and it's worked for the past eighteen years. Enjoy your hot toddie I dare say it's starting to get a bit sharp in Germany..

Shaun
Strangely it is remarkably mild! It is not the same since the breakdown of the Soviet Union, I am sure they had a cold wind blowing machine.
2 yrs ago I was working in -30, as a vehicle commander having to stick my face out was bitter! That was the worse for a good few years
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
It still does, well schweppes does. Though hardly enough to deal with malaria
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am amazed at the tonic water, that is complete news to me, like I say everyday is a skool day!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The sign of a good G and T is that it has a blue haze to it. I am told this is due to the quinine, but doubt it somehow.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

No blue haze where I come from, the signs of a good G&T back in Edinburgh were free and plenty!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dinger24
No blue haze where I come from, the signs of a good G&T back in Edinburgh were free and plenty!
I always thought that the bitter lemon had quinnine (sp?) in it. Never heard of tonic water containing it?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
That's the reason those pesky Expats in Kenya all those decades ago used to be half-sozzled at all hours - it was the G&T brigade, the T being the medicinal part of the G
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

On a summers evening overlooking the lake, good enough reason to break out the Bombay Sapphire in my books

Shaun
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Yes but the quinnine in the tonic won't actually STOP the mozzies biting you... it just means you won't get malaria.

Mind you, any excuse to drink a nice G&T.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.