Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bloody Mosquito's

Bloody Mosquito's

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:48 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Mosquito's

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
anyone getting put off moving to NS the above reading is working for us No seriously would love to know some ideas on preventing, as we are worried about our 4 year old daughter when we move over,

paul & jo
Well I dont know what they are all talking about - I am in NS and I cant say I have noticed many mosquitoes this year - even though our house backs on to a forest and I really havent found them a problem at all. What I did hate was the blackfly but those have thankfully gone now and I'm also not keen on the deer fly - we seem to have a lot of those - but hardly any mosquitoes.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:51 pm

cadpah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Toronto, and I've never encountered a mosquito here. The only place I've been bitten by them is in Jamaica (120 bites in 2 weeks on my first visit!) but they didn't bother me - I just ignored them and the bites disappeared in their own good time.

Last edited by cadpah; Jul 22nd 2008 at 1:52 pm. Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:09 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
When do the little buggers give up? Are they around right until winter sets in?
I brought a Mega Mosquito Catcher for the back garden this year and it has reduced the problem but walking around the edge at dusk in bare feet is a definite way of getting bitten.

We have used far less Mosquito repellent this year due to bug catcher.

However they decline as the weather turns warmer and dries up the standing water (their breeding ground) so in August / Sept it tends to be less of a problem. The peak Mossie season is probably June / July (up until late).
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

However they decline as the weather turns warmer and dries up the standing water (their breeding ground) so in August / Sept it tends to be less of a problem. The peak Mossie season is probably June / July (up until late).
Good news - I'm arriving in September, so hopefully I can reserve this treat for next year!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

I live in Amherst NS & this is the first year i had trouble walking due to bites on my ankles.

The Benadryl tablets i take didn't work & it took over a week for the swelling to go down.

I tried so many things, the baking soda did reduce some redness & swelling. Toothpaste i think may have helped if the bites hadn't been quite so bad.

After a week i went out well covered & smelling delightful DEET & Citronella mixed did the job. The smell was awful but i didn't get 1 bite

A few days later i just tried the Citronella on its own, so far so good, its just the awful smell

NG x
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:05 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Well I dont know what they are all talking about - I am in NS and I cant say I have noticed many mosquitoes this year - even though our house backs on to a forest and I really havent found them a problem at all. What I did hate was the blackfly but those have thankfully gone now and I'm also not keen on the deer fly - we seem to have a lot of those - but hardly any mosquitoes.
We're right near you in NS (also wooded/lake) and haven't noticed the mosquitoes just the black flies back in May.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

I've only been bit once so can't complain but my OH regularly works near a river and has been plastered with bites (huge lumps on his face and forehead were a bit frightening). OH reckons they don't like the smell of my homemade houmous and a friend recently told me that mossies here in BC don't seem to like garlic. If you ain't into eating lots of garlic then marmite worth a try.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

kaz19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know if this will work with the mosquitos but in Scotland especially Fort William area the midges there are terrible, I usually get bitten, major swelling etc but last couple times we went I would have a pint of beer/lager and i was bite free - apparantly they dont like the yeast. Dont know if its true or just coincidence but best excuse I have to have a pint
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:15 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

used T-bags just let them cool first and dab on.

As for what attracts them - it's body odour.

Get 50 -60 a night when watching a soccer game here.

Winnipeg has a daily trap count

bugline
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:14 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alex_glw
Any fellow expat take bad reactions to their bites

I get swelling like half a tennis ball

And I mean sizewise not a big yellowy green lump just incase there are any smart Alec's out there:smile:
Very bad allergic reaction, bites swell to a stupid size, last four times that I have been bitten infection has set in very quickly and within 24 hours have been on silly doses of antibiotics. This has happened in the UK, France and Canada. When I flew back from Toronto in June I had six bites on one foot and five on the other.

I was wheelchaired off the plane straight to hospital, could not walk for three weeks, narrowly escaped having to stay in hospital. I now run a mile if I hear or see a mozzie....

Think that will make my life in Canada fairly entertaining.

Charlie
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:34 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Very bad allergic reaction, bites swell to a stupid size, last four times that I have been bitten infection has set in very quickly and within 24 hours have been on silly doses of antibiotics. This has happened in the UK, France and Canada. When I flew back from Toronto in June I had six bites on one foot and five on the other.

I was wheelchaired off the plane straight to hospital, could not walk for three weeks, narrowly escaped having to stay in hospital. I now run a mile if I hear or see a mozzie....

Think that will make my life in Canada fairly entertaining.

Charlie
Can we come and watch?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l i s a
We're right near you in NS (also wooded/lake) and haven't noticed the mosquitoes just the black flies back in May.
I think that's because they heard I was back last week and moved into our back garden in Bedford. OH on antibiotics at the moment due to one bite, I'm covered from head to toe (the one's in my scalp are the worst) despite using citronella, stuff we got in South Africa etc. After the torrential rain last night no doubt the little critters will be going for some time to come.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Good news - I'm arriving in September, so hopefully I can reserve this treat for next year!
I dunno, I thought they were around until first frost?

Spent last night outside and didn't get a single bite. But it was downtown Detroit with 44,000 other tasty people so it was a safe bet really
Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:17 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Can we come and watch?
If you want?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:26 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I dunno, I thought they were around until first frost?

Spent last night outside and didn't get a single bite. But it was downtown Detroit with 44,000 other tasty people so it was a safe bet really

They've obviously heard about Detroit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.