Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Old Jun 28th 2023, 3:59 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2023
Posts: 5
Jonikster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Hi all!
I have discussed this in many places, but really I'm looking for someone who has experience of living in both Britain and Canada and possibly other countries and can advise me something.
If you can, you will make me happy. Because this choice between Britain and Canada is driving me crazy.
Well, I'm a blind Ukrainian. And I have lived in both, Britain and Canada.
I done my bachelor's degree in computer engineering in May, but I'm also a 4th year undergraduate in law.
I would like to become a lawyer and it's easier to do it here in Britain than in Canada. Although I don't think it should be a big problem.
But it's easier to immigrate to Canada. Because I have no other way than to work in Britain for 5 years, or come up with an innovative business. In Canada, I just need one year of experience and I almost already have a PR.
If we are talking about the comparison between Britain and Canada, then Britain looks better for the blind. Public transport, social support, whatever.
But over time, I came to the conclusion that it is best to compare not 2 countries, but 2 cities. This should especially be done in relation to the comparison of Britain and Canada.
So I understand that my last destination in Canada is Vancouver. Yes, as a preparation, I could live in other cities, but Vancouver is the best.
And if you think rationally, yes, Canada is the best choice. Actually I have an idea of my ideal country. This is a country where everyone is equal and there is no discrimination. When I meet someone of a different race or nationality, I have so many emotions. I don't understand those who have racism towards someone.
But my heart is with Britain. I'm obsessed with Britain, I don't know the words to explain.
British politics. I support the British Empire.
All my favorite popular books were written by British authors.
British traditions, music, I love you, Britain!
When I go outside, I wear only British flag T-shirts with "Glory to Britain" printed on them. I know it's crazy, but I can't do anything about it.
I remember when I came from Britain to Canada last autumn. I was very sad and the only thought that comforted me was that Canada is still part of the British Commonwealth.
While in Canada, when I listened to a British accent, I had a nostalgia for Britain. However, when I'm in Britain, I'm nostalgic for the ocean.
I like the British accent more. I like the words post and postman more than mail and mailman.
I like British imperial measures, miles, pounds, whatever.
It surprises me when I hear from those who live in Vancouver that Vancouver is safer than London. Because criminal rates show the opposite picture. And also we don't forget the open border with America, when any crazy person can come with some gun.
Now I live in Surrey and it's amazing. Green area surround you, but when needed it takes 30 minutes and you're in London.
But I would also like more nature. Forests, nice air, sea, birds, animals!
I have one year to choose. And my problem is that I can't do anything, go forward until I make a choice.
Please support me, advise me!
Thanks in advance.
Jonikster is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2023, 7:19 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,027
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

It sounds to me as though the UK would make more sense, if you're already there working, it's better for you in terms of disability help, and you are 'obsessed' with it.

Originally Posted by Jonikster
But it's easier to immigrate to Canada. Because I have no other way than to work in Britain for 5 years, or come up with an innovative business. In Canada, I just need one year of experience and I almost already have a PR.
That's not correct. Having a year of skilled work experience does make you eligible to enter the Express Entry pool of applicants, but then once you're in the pool, only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. So it's a bit more involved, and will depend on your CRS score. Have you checked that? If it's not high enough, then that may make the decision for you…..

Good luck with whatever you decide.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2023, 10:33 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2023
Posts: 5
Jonikster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

I don't have any job in the UK yet because I need to decide where I will work. In Britain or Canada.
You are right about Express Entry. But Canada also has a humanitarian program for Ukrainians, with which we can get PR if our scores are low. Also, I plan to learn French to get a better chance.
But it's a hard choice and that's why I'm here.
Jonikster is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2023, 10:53 am
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,027
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by Jonikster
I don't have any job in the UK yet because I need to decide where I will work.
Ah apologies, I misread, thought you were already working in the UK.

Originally Posted by Jonikster
But Canada also has a humanitarian program for Ukrainians, with which we can get PR if our scores are low. Also, I plan to learn French to get a better chance.
There's a program to get you in to Canada with an open work permit, but it doesn't help with federal PR applications. It also ends very soon (mid July IIRC), so you don't have much time to decide if that's the route you want to go down……..

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2023, 11:53 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2023
Posts: 5
Jonikster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's a program to get you in to Canada with an open work permit, but it doesn't help with federal PR applications. It also ends very soon (mid July IIRC), so you don't have much time to decide if that's the route you want to go down……..
I already have an open work permit with the CUAET program. This is not what I was talking about.
I was talking about Humanitarian & Compassionate Application.

One of the questions I'm interested in is the difference between the British and Canadian mentality.
I have heard so much about the fact that in London I will find bad and close British. But for 8-9 months of living here, I think that there are absolutely no bad British!
Jonikster is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2023, 7:14 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,651
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by Jonikster
I already have an open work permit with the CUAET program. This is not what I was talking about.
I was talking about Humanitarian & Compassionate Application.

One of the questions I'm interested in is the difference between the British and Canadian mentality.
I have heard so much about the fact that in London I will find bad and close British. But for 8-9 months of living here, I think that there are absolutely no bad British!
Under what circumstances are you now living in the UK? Visa/refugee/asylum seeker .....
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Jul 2nd 2023, 7:18 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2023
Posts: 5
Jonikster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Under what circumstances are you now living in the UK? Visa/refugee/asylum seeker .....
Homes for Ukraine. That means temporary resident status for 3 years.
Jonikster is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2023, 7:26 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,651
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by Jonikster
Homes for Ukraine. That means temporary resident status for 3 years.

....and you are working/student..? You say you have just completed your degree in computer engineering - where? the UK?
Where are you (were you) studying law?

"This is a country where everyone is equal and there is no discrimination"

There is no such ideal country..... neither Canada nor Britain fit this ideal..... one has to just make the best of one's efforts and opportunities.

I used to live in Surrey.... great place.... if you want more nature , forests, nice air, sea, birds, animals, have you considered Scandinavia or even Alaska !!
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Jul 2nd 2023, 7:39 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2023
Posts: 5
Jonikster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
....and you are working/student..? You say you have just completed your degree in computer engineering - where? the UK?
Where are you (were you) studying law?

"This is a country where everyone is equal and there is no discrimination"

There is no such ideal country..... neither Canada nor Britain fit this ideal..... one has to just make the best of one's efforts and opportunities.

I used to live in Surrey.... great place.... if you want more nature , forests, nice air, sea, birds, animals, have you considered Scandinavia or even Alaska !!
No, my degree is in Ukraine.
Now I'm going through rehabilitation services, after which I plan to look for a job.
Next year I'm also getting a Ukrainian law degree (LLB), but even without that I could go through the courses and become a lawyer here.
I don't care about that because the most important issue is immigration.
Scandinavia and Alaska are difficult for immigration and a bit cold.
So it's just that in Britain I need to live for 5 years for permanent residence and without guarantees, but in Canada it's just one year.
Although once I thought about Australia because of the political situation with Russia.
Jonikster is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2023, 5:00 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
CanadaJimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,954
CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blind ukrainian. Britain or Canada?

I would say the UK simply because most british towns and cities are traversable on foot. In Canada many cities are car-dependent, so being blind will put you at a more severe disadvantage.

While Vancouver has an exceptionaly dense and walkable city centre, it’s also insanely expensive to live in it, because it is so rare and desirable to have and be in such a livable urban centre in Canada.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jul 14th 2023 at 5:03 pm.
CanadaJimmy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.