Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bl**dy British Summertime!!

Bl**dy British Summertime!!

Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default Bl**dy British Summertime!!

Hi all,

Sorry i haven't posted for a while. Did anyone miss me..... or didn't you even notice my absence??!!

Anyway, i'm speaking predominantly to us poor things still stuck here in the U.K. - Is it just me, or is this the worst, wettest, most miserable July on record?? Well, it certainly seems like it down here in 'Sunny' Cornwall!

Anyway, what's the weather like in Calgary at the moment? Or in Canada as a whole really.

Take care y'all,

Kev.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bl**dy British Summertime!!

I missed you Kev! Where have you been?

Bloody misserable in Ontario, there is a general absence of summer sun and heat, if not humidity, and its been been pissing down here today. Pretty uncharacteristically grey so far this summer. Had about 5 "good" days so far

Iain
Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:59 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Karate Kev
Hi all,

Sorry i haven't posted for a while. Did anyone miss me..... or didn't you even notice my absence??!!

Anyway, i'm speaking predominantly to us poor things still stuck here in the U.K. - Is it just me, or is this the worst, wettest, most miserable July on record?? Well, it certainly seems like it down here in 'Sunny' Cornwall!

Anyway, what's the weather like in Calgary at the moment? Or in Canada as a whole really.

Take care y'all,

Kev.
It was exactly the same here until a couple of days ago. Plenty of dazzling t-storms to watch though!

Weather looks to be on the up now.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Bloody miserable in NS too. Parents coming over tomorrow and they will think it's just like home!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:23 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kev,

Very nice to hear from you again. I've spent about the last 6 weeks in the Vancouver and Vancouver Island areas of British Columbia. I've only seen about 1 week of rainy weather (total over the 6 weeks), the rest of the time it has been nearly perfect! South-eastern Vancouver Island has been very dry. The berry crops here in the Vancouver city area are about 3 weeks ahead of time. I'm pigging out on raspberries, cherries (from the Okanagan area of BC) and blueberries (grow around Vancouver).

Life has been good!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 15th 2004 at 3:13 am.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

After a wet June its been lovely in Regina. Right now at 5.02 its 28 degrees. Been in the pool all afternoon. Great pool weather!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

.....hot, hot and more hot! I think it is 35 degrees today. Just come back from a trip on a friends speed boat....beach was busy.

Sorry.....hee, hee

JJ
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:48 pm
Glaswegian

Mid 20's today - we went to the Stampede which is always hotter than anywhere else in town .....

Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Take care y'all,

Kev.
Yeah....where'd ya get to matey???

You might think this has been miserable but you should have been in jolly Gull Lake - it did not stop tipping down for weeks and weeks...even my guttering has given up the ghost and left town. The difference?.....mozzies...bloody git big huge ones....

Its funny but I always used to wonder why folks thought it was nice and sunny all the time

Did you see that Alberta is now 'debt free'??? Yeah...(wish I lived there sometimes )
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by lizwil98
After a wet June its been lovely in Regina. Right now at 5.02 its 28 degrees. Been in the pool all afternoon. Great pool weather!

Hey fancy sending a bit this way??????
Old Jul 15th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

We had a trip up on Bodmin Moor and it was a beautiful day, wonderful scenery as well. Course that was 2 weeks ago! The day we went to Looe it hammered down and we had to walk in the rain....so english though!
We had a brief shower earlier but no rain now just dull and cool!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

goatee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Corky

when we left uk i was a bit upset about missing green countryside as we had seen a very yellow countryside in a dry summer here in 2003
but we brought the rain with us and evrywhere is green and lovely
so much so have not felt home sick at all !!!!!!

winter march we were out on deck in shorts but spent april in rain , even the day we moved home , may wet
june since has been better
canadians think its terrible but we think its dry

main thing not many mossies or grass hoppers here but ticks so bad we shaved the dogs! kids hid or would have got the same
i am obsessed with killing things since got here , before they bite me / dig up garden
our getting ready to go out conversation goes

is it buggy out?
we have scales of bugs orange , green and black
orange is the low deet color can
green a higher deet content
and black is put the mesh bug jacket on or end up looking like you have chicken pox

now completely off subject.....i was gardening , bending over weeding , wellies on in july as an anti tick device and long sleeves for anti mossie and i got bitten 6 times on bum through my jeans
how can they bite through jeans??????
am now weeding crouching to reduce target area size

mrs g

We had a trip up on Bodmin Moor and it was a beautiful day, wonderful scenery as well. Course that was 2 weeks ago! The day we went to Looe it hammered down and we had to walk in the rain....so english though!
We had a brief shower earlier but no rain now just dull and cool!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:20 am
Glaswegian

I would presume that weeding in a crouching position only puts the "target area" among the ticks!

My wife weeds when it rains heavily as she reckons the bugs are less likely to get at her then!

Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Forget the sunshine. Today is my birthday 15 July and it is St Swithin's day and that means according to the legend, because it is raining now (and it certainly is!!) it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights. I hope that cheers you up!

Graham

Hi all,

Take care y'all,

Kev.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Glaswegian
I would presume that weeding in a crouching position only puts the "target area" among the ticks!

My wife weeds when it rains heavily as she reckons the bugs are less likely to get at her then!
What are the chances of getting ticks? I have been doing quite a lot of gardening recently and in long grass. I don't cover up cos' its too hot but I do check myself and the kids after. Was just wondering what the chances are and should we be more careful, does anyone know?

JJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.