Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Originally Posted by geo4
What bollocks.
Learn to use technology properly.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

What bollocks.
Why the attitude my friend? You can give frank advice and be helpful without being obnoxious if you try.

Stu
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartm

As far as i can tell im doing everything right, but appear to be hitting a black hole.
You may well be doing everything right. Its just the canadian way not to respond unless they want to pursue an interview.

Being outside Canada wont help mind, but even then its pretty much a black hole until you find someone thats interested.

If you want feed back on a resume or whatever then Im sure there are some people here who wouldnt mind spending 5 minutes taking a look...
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the attitude my friend? You can give frank advice and be helpful without being obnoxious if you try.

Stu
Don't let it bother you. Being obnoxious is his *thing* - lots of people like to have a *thing* on internet forums to make them stand out.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The bizarre thing is that even though employers wont respond to applicants, its always a good idea to follow up an interview with a fax or email after the fact to say how much you enjoyed meeting them and follow up with some more info or horn blowing about stuff touched on in the meeting...
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:25 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't let it bother you. Being obnoxious is his *thing* - lots of people like to have a *thing* on internet forums to make them stand out.
What bollocks.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:26 pm

What bollocks.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried emailing your resume to someone within a company - not HR, but someone who would be in a position to hire you. I did this, just sent a casual personalised email to the individual, and totally tailored the email so that it wasn't a stock one. The angle I took was to introduce myself, explain what I was looking for, and ask if they could spare some time to meet for a coffee (i'd buy of course). I did about 15 of them - they are time consuming, and I got 2 responses so that's about 13% response rate. The first was a lady who said she had nothing for me because they were a small operation but would be happy to meet and chat about the industry in Canada - which I should add didn't happen as I am still waiting for her to get back to me with some dates!! Ha ha. But the other, unbeknown to me, he passed my resume onto a recruiter who was handling a job for him and I got to the 2nd round interviews...and then failed to get the job, but there you go. I've since stopped looking because I'm just on visitor status, (was hoping to find an LMO needle in the haystack job) but I'll pick up on this method when i have my PR, and will revisit some of the people I interviewed with as a starting point.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Hope you are all well and sane!

Ok is it me but is it just normal practice for Canadian employers not to respond or acknowledge any job applications? I head to Van in 6 weeks and every app i submit is just ignored, even a bugger off would be good. It just seems that theyre heading into the void.

The job adverts ask not to follow up with phone calls etc so it is all very frustrating!!!!!

I really hope things improve a little when im on Canadian soil!!!!

Rant over...............

Stu
It's generally the same the world over.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

I concur - its the same in the UK at least.

My best was applying for a 6 month post in February one year ... post started in April. Had heard nothing by mid March so assumed (correctly as it turned out) that I did not get anywhere with the application. Somewhat amazingly, the following June, NOT June of the year I applied, of the FOLLOWING year - some 8 months or so after the contract had finished, I recieved a very polite letter thanking me for my application, but I had not been successfull in my application! The oddity was getting the letter - the pointlessness being the amount of time after the post was advertised!

We regularly received upwards of 100 applicants per post - no thanks for applications was sent out, and as other posters have mentioned, generic CV's tended to be filed never to be looked at again ...

But, on the plus side, don't give up! I may have been fortunate, but I arrived last week on a spousal open TWP, and had been applying for jobs since November, without much thought of success before we landed. So I limited my applications to jobs I really would like, and put a lot of effort into the covering letter explaining my circumstances and tailoring it very specifically to address the requests of the job specs. Two failed applications to one organisation (although they did ask to meet me during a reccie trip) and they invited me to apply from the UK ... which I did, two interviews later (I flew out for the second at my expense - no idea if that had a bearing, but I thought it showed commitment at least!) and I got the job before landing - start next week.

So it may not be easy applying from the UK, but it can be done successfully ... but back to the OP's original point - don't expect an answer (but gentle chasing is never a bad thing - even asking for feedback on where you went wrong?)
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience don't expect an answer from any company even if you are calling them to give them work.

I need some fence panels which i also need installing. I have now called two local companies and left messages because neither answers their phone. Neither has got back to me. I e mailed one from their online contact form..... no reply. I call into the other one as its very local and the only one there is a worker who says "leave the info and contact details on his desk" i do this and hear nothing so call in again to find another employee who says "the boss is out, not sure when he'll be back you can leave a message on his desk"
Next day i call his cell and he knows nothing about me, my messages or my sketch i left but promises to check it all out and call me..... he didn't!
I even asked him what would be a good time to catch him in and he said "there isn't a good time"
What amazes me is that local businesses are always asking for support from the local people and always complaining about work being slow and its all the fault of the HST or the economy or whatever yet maybe if they answered their phones and responded to messages they may actually get some business.
My rant over............
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

The only time I've ever received a response is when I've applied through an agency, and that response was from the agency, not the company in question.

It's the same here in the UK. I've been under a mountain of CVs from advertising one position. As a company we have to make money, and it takes up enough time dealing with candidates you are interested in, never mind those you are not. Time responding to failed applicants is time not spent on making money.

I'll be contacting companies soon and fully expect to hear nothing when they aren't interested. This is the level you should set your expectations at.

It's harsh, but that's life I'm afraid.

Chris
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:33 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

We flew out, Hubby knocked on the doors, handed out resumes shook hands etcetera.
18 months on a call from out of the blue and we now have a job offer in writing. so I feel your pain!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:30 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
18 months on a call
That must have been some phone bill.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
happens in Australia too so maybe it's an epidemic
In Australia it's quite common to go to an interview and then you don' hear from your employer again for a very long time, maybe never, even if you have practically been promised to start on the job next Monday.

To the OP: Do you have to go to Vancouver? In the prairie provinces you would probably be better received... depending on your profession I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.