Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bittersweet Christmas

Bittersweet Christmas

Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bittersweet Christmas

Originally Posted by dbd33
So things are getting better but people think they're getting worse?
What do you mean by things? What quantifies a thing?

If you’re referencing the crime figures, then read the publications, as they do not state things to be getting better. Actually the crime figures for 2006-07 show: “…Crime in England and Wales remained stable during the past 12 months…”

"Another day, another set of crime figures. There are two explanations for this. Either the crime figures are just not reflecting the reality, or people's view of reality is being distorted by other influences, like media coverage of crime. That leaves one possibility: that people, fed a diet of murders, muggings and rapes in newspapers and on television, are left with the impression that crime is rocketing. It is not. The other significant finding from the British Crime Survey is that people are more fearful of anti-social behaviour than they used to be. One-third of those questioned said they were concerned about the problem of teenagers hanging around the streets in their area, an increase on the previous year. Worries about other kinds of disorder were also up slightly. All this explains why the Government is pushing through new legislation to tackle unruly children, noisy neighbours, yobs and vandals. “– BBC

What we have been discussing in this thread is the perception that the UK is deteriorating in terms of general society. The original poster is having exactly the opposite experience to the following:

“The enthusiasm for bobbies on the beat derives from the 'broken windows' idea of crime, which proposes that a place not visibly cared for becomes vulnerable. James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling, its chief proponents, evaluated a foot patrol experiment in Washington DC and concluded that it had 'not reduced crime rates. But residents of foot-patrolled neighbourhoods seemed to feel more secure than persons in other areas, tended to believe that crime had been reduced, and seemed to take fewer steps to protect themselves from crime (staying at home with doors locked).' They also had a better opinion of the police, whose morale was higher.”

Despite police interacting, she has seen no improvement in the quality of life; to the extent she is in fact unlikely to sell her house. Whilst this may be an extreme example, the general perception is that we do not see the authorities in a position to enforce improvements. Thus the BE site is full of people wishing to move away. Again statistics are meaningless if the general population feels as though there is no improving trend.

Maybe we should be looking here: “…Since 1970 levels of poverty and wealth in different areas of Britain have changed significantly, with the country now moving back towards levels of inequality last seen more than 40 years ago.”
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are the Canadian Statistics

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...80717b-eng.htm

....avoid BC and Saskatchewan if you want to avoid crime

and a comparison from 2004

http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice...atistics35.htm

....the results of that mean we should all move to Sweden or Switzerland.

Or this one which had crime rate for local authority regions in England and Wales

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/ia/atlas.html

...Teesdale is the place to be

or this which is a Home Office website

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/soti.html

Have fun
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sas-lou
Of course newspapers in the UK over sensationlise everything, what way ID cards can be brought in and then we can all truly live in fear ..

I have found with Canada/Americaen people are murdered, its santa killing ex-wife and inlaws + others wife stabs hubby, brother stabs other brother .. These people KNOW their killers ..
In England its very random .. kids walking through park, jumped on as they look different and killed .. adults telling kids to piss off and move their loutish behaviour elsewhere and being attacked and killed .. Already said it .. The UK is an angry country .. Each to their own and look after number 1 .. My son on his first year of secondary school was savagly attacked by some girl and he took it from her .. the school rang me and said that they knew Ivan would never of done anything to upset anyone but the problem is the girl comes from an abusive family so we have to be sympathetic to her ..
EXCUSE ME .. ACCOUNTABILITY .. that is what is lacking in the UK ..
Incredible! I sympathise with the fact she comes from an abusive family, as that's not her fault.

However, what sort of message does that send out to an already damaged child that it's ok to beat someone sensless, and get sympathy!

It can only be the direction of those PC people who live in lala land, and what would seem from this post - a different planet!

Y
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stuabroad

If you’re referencing the crime figures, then read the publications, as they do not state things to be getting better. Actually the crime figures for 2006-07 show: “…Crime in England and Wales remained stable during the past 12 months…”

"Another day, another set of crime figures. There are two explanations for this. Either the crime figures are just not reflecting the reality, or people's view of reality is being distorted by other influences, like media coverage of crime. That leaves one possibility: that people, fed a diet of murders, muggings and rapes in newspapers and on television, are left with the impression that crime is rocketing. It is not. The other significant finding from the British Crime Survey is that people are more fearful of anti-social behaviour than they used to be. One-third of those questioned said they were concerned about the problem of teenagers hanging around the streets in their area, an increase on the previous year. Worries about other kinds of disorder were also up slightly. All this explains why the Government is pushing through new legislation to tackle unruly children, noisy neighbours, yobs and vandals. “– BBC

What we have been discussing in this thread is the perception that the UK is deteriorating in terms of general society. The original poster is having exactly the opposite experience to the following:

“The enthusiasm for bobbies on the beat derives from the 'broken windows' idea of crime, which proposes that a place not visibly cared for becomes vulnerable. James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling, its chief proponents, evaluated a foot patrol experiment in Washington DC and concluded that it had 'not reduced crime rates. But residents of foot-patrolled neighbourhoods seemed to feel more secure than persons in other areas, tended to believe that crime had been reduced, and seemed to take fewer steps to protect themselves from crime (staying at home with doors locked).' They also had a better opinion of the police, whose morale was higher.”

Despite police interacting, she has seen no improvement in the quality of life; to the extent she is in fact unlikely to sell her house. Whilst this may be an extreme example, the general perception is that we do not see the authorities in a position to enforce improvements. Thus the BE site is full of people wishing to move away. Again statistics are meaningless if the general population feels as though there is no improving trend.

Maybe we should be looking here: “…Since 1970 levels of poverty and wealth in different areas of Britain have changed significantly, with the country now moving back towards levels of inequality last seen more than 40 years ago.”
The Third explanation could be that people just literally can't be arsed to report crime anymore!

Take Tiny's post and what she puts up with, I'd like to bet she see's lots of crime on a weekly basis, but doesn't bother to report it as she knows she's flogging a dead horse.

So really, any crime figures good or bad are not accurate from the start!

Y
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You said "the last 10 years’ statistics point to violent crime reducing,". The "thing" in question here is the crime rate, crime being a bad thing a fall in the rate suggests that life is getting better. What quantifies the crime rate is the governments statistics, figures I haven't bothered to cite because, as Novo points out (with uncharacteristic linguistic clarity, remarkably free of northeastern colloquialisms) the Dog Going Lobby will just say that the government is not to be believed.

but the rate of violent crime fell. Good news surely?

people, fed a diet of murders, muggings and rapes in newspapers and on television, are left with the impression that crime is rocketing. It is not.
I find that to be plausible. I think the converse applies here, vapid news coverage tends to make it seem that there is less crime than there is in fact.

Whilst this may be an extreme example, the general perception is that we do not see the authorities in a position to enforce improvements. Thus the BE site is full of people wishing to move away.
I don't think this follows. A site about moving abroad will always be full of people who wish to move abroad. Country Gone To Dogs, Price of Houses, Bloody Climate, there will always be some reason du jour. Further, people already inclined to move tend to see the worst in the place where they are and the best in their intended destination.

One can, of course, countered a percieved increase in incivility where one is by emigrating but one must be very careful about one's destination, it's hard to see that life is worse anywhere in the UK than it is in Rexdale, for example.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:03 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
One of the reasons we moved from England was the yobs and kids and all that crap. We moved to Canada because we couldnt afford to move to a nicer, better area, although the area we lived in wasn't rough, a pleasant, if dull, small town in Bedfordshire.

We don't have close family ties etc so it was easy to move away. It's taken a while to settle, I hated our first house and the area we lived in. In retrospect I think I would have looked more into staying in the UK and finding a different area to live in, as on balance it has more to offer than Canada. Don't let the yobs force you out if you feel that being away from your family will be intolerable. If there is anyway you can move within the UK then you may be better off in the long run.
I've been thinking and thinking about this and you know, this isn't about *us* per se, it is about giving our kids a chance at a brighter future.

There are lots of things that concern me about living in the UK as it stands now, not just the yob culture that exists, although that is impacting most on us personally.

The move is about giving our kids a better chance for the future which I believe whole heartedly the move to canada will give them.

I can't see a future in the UK for us at all in any way shape or form, yet when we were in Canada we could all see ourselves there.

There are dozens of reasons why we want to make the move, very few have been covered in these two threads and I certainly don't want to "justify myself" to anyone. Yes there is a push factor in place but there is also a huge pull factor too, not least I have two siblings out there but I also have extended family and Canada has been a major part of my life as every single year we went there as a kid, I only stopped going in my teens when I started to go to summer schools and holiday camps instead, although the rest of my family continued to go.

Yes of course it will be a wrench moving away from famiy but the perceived benefits for our children far far outweight the initial hurdles of moving away. My inlaws will see the kids growing up, with thanks to the internet, I am sure it won't be too long before we come over for holidays and somehow we hope they will come out to us too (although as they are none flyers that is going to prove challenging).

I don't think Canada is going to be "perfect" but "better" is a start, "much better" would be a huge bonus but we won't know until we give it a try, don't get me wrong I know we take ourselves with us and the grass isn't greener and all that, but, I can still see a future for our children there and hopefully our children's children, but that is for them to sort out.

As I say there are many, many, many more reasons for us to make the move, the point on anti social behaviour is the only thing I have commented on because I have been so upset by it all recently.

If that one point has opened up such long threads, if I were to list the other reasons I reckon we could fill hundreds of pages
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is from fledermaus' statcan link...

"Among the provinces, the highest crime rates were in Western Canada, continuing a pattern observed over the past 30 years.

Despite a 3.5% decline, Saskatchewan continued to report the highest overall crime rate, as well as the highest rate of violent crime. British Columbia had the highest property crime rate, primarily the result of a large number of thefts $5,000 and under.

For the fourth year in a row, the lowest provincial rates occurred in Ontario and Quebec....

The highest overall crime rates occurred in the western metropolitan centres of Regina, Saskatoon, Abbotsford, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Victoria and Vancouver. Toronto reported the second lowest overall crime rate among all 27 metropolitan areas.

One in five homicides in Canada occurred in Toronto in 2007. However, taking population differences into account, homicide rates were highest in Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary."

Yet if you believed the media you'd think that Toronto was a shooting gallery and that you experience a home invasion twice a month.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Hey there,

This is our last chrismas in the UK too, we have our LMO and set a leaving date as 28th Feb! we are renting our house out for few years until housing market picks up.

It has been very nice so far, lots of nice presents and spent time with the familys. Was very hard yesterday, mum got very upset and then i started crying !

Been ok today but tomorrow is going to be another hard day seeing more family.

Wishing everyone a very Happy christmas and a great new year.

Lisa dd
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yet if you believed the media you'd think that Toronto was a shooting gallery and that you experience a home invasion twice a month.
The same could be said for any major city in Canada as far as media is concerned.

I'm sure we have daily drive by shootings and at least twice weekly home invasions here in Calgary if you were to believe the media.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The same could be said for any major city in Canada as far as media is concerned.

I'm sure we have daily drive by shootings and at least twice weekly home invasions here in Calgary if you were to believe the media.
It's a wonder we aren't all thinking of emigrating.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Wow! Twice weekly, is that all? You lucky thing.

Y
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinytears
You can make statstics read anything you want them to read with very little effort.
Who remembers that one about drunk driving? Something along the lines of one in three accidents involve someone driving while drunk. Therefore two-thirds involve sober drivers, therefore drunk people cause fewer accidents.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Funny thing is dbd33 has often given that impression himself in other threads on the same subject.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Funny thing is dbd33 has often given that impression himself in other threads on the same subject.
I think there are a lot of shootings in Toronto. I think there's also an awful lot of street level crime, begging at the traffic lights, prostitution, drug dealing, but then I eat at the hooker Harvey's (Jarvis and Gerrard) and so see the more colourful side of the city.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think there are a lot of shootings in Toronto. I think there's also an awful lot of street level crime, begging at the traffic lights, prostitution, drug dealing, but then I eat at the hooker Harvey's (Jarvis and Gerrard) and so see the more colourful side of the city.
Do hookers eat at Harvey's - always seems slightly more expensive than say McD's or BK to me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.