Reload this Page >

Bit vague but a serious question

Wikiposts

Bit vague but a serious question

Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Jolee7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit vague but a serious question

Hi we have been looking into immigration to Canada for the last 12 months now, been to all the expos gathered the info etc etc we are about to submit a visa application but have become unsettled with regards to which area to locate to.
My husband falls into 2 of the skilled worker categorys and we are happy regarding how to submit, fees etc.
Initially we were set on East coast Nova Scotia in particular but since the last expo and a vast amount of job hunting are thinking of looking at more West coast now.
Probabaly the certain information that i'm looking for is people's experiences on certain areas we have 3 young children to take into consideration, and also job vacancies and wages in areas is important as well.
I understand that when you go to Expos that the stand that you visit will always promote their own so to speak, so that's why I was asking about people's actual experiences.
I am looking to book a reece trip for April as well so need to really make my mind up, I was also told that it is colder on the East coast as opposed to the WEst ?????
Sorry for the waffle guys but have tried to find info but like I said government websites will tell you that their own province is always the best one to live in ??
Many thanks
Jo xx
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bit vague but a serious question

You need to go to Canada and go to different provinces and see what fits you best. Each has its good with its bad. Most of us will be prejudiced to the place we are from or moving too. I prefer Ont as I am from there, have been to the other provinces but merely short visits.
Check everything, schools, rate of unemployment, the wait for health ins upon landing, insurances, price of homes..take everything into consideration. I always found the further East you went the more expensive it was, but that is my opinion only.
I would take a couple of trips personally once in winter (try mid January to be fare) and one in finer weather (mid July)
do some travelling..see what tickles your fancey..
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:46 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

there is also a lot of info on canada in wiki (blue tab at the top of the page).
have a look ,you'll find plenty info & tips.
good luck
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably help if you gave people a bit more info i.e. what your jobs are, what budget you'll have for a house, etc. Those kind of things can make a big impact on which province you should head for.

As for the East coast being colder than the West, it will depend on where you go. Alberta will be colder than NS, but NS will be colder than coastal BC (where the climate is very similar to the UK i.e. not much snow but rain instead), etc, etc. But as previously mentioned, have a look in the Wiki for info on the climate and different regions.

Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolee7
Hi we have been looking into immigration to Canada for the last 12 months now, been to all the expos gathered the info etc etc we are about to submit a visa application but have become unsettled with regards to which area to locate to.
My husband falls into 2 of the skilled worker categorys and we are happy regarding how to submit, fees etc.
Initially we were set on East coast Nova Scotia in particular but since the last expo and a vast amount of job hunting are thinking of looking at more West coast now.
Probabaly the certain information that i'm looking for is people's experiences on certain areas we have 3 young children to take into consideration, and also job vacancies and wages in areas is important as well.
I understand that when you go to Expos that the stand that you visit will always promote their own so to speak, so that's why I was asking about people's actual experiences.
I am looking to book a reece trip for April as well so need to really make my mind up, I was also told that it is colder on the East coast as opposed to the WEst ?????
Sorry for the waffle guys but have tried to find info but like I said government websites will tell you that their own province is always the best one to live in ??
Many thanks
Jo xx
I guess it all depends on why you want to move to Canada in the first place. Maybe list your must haves, nice to haves, and don't wants to pin it down a little.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
I guess it all depends on why you want to move to Canada in the first place. Maybe list your must haves, nice to haves, and don't wants to pin it down a little.
Yes I agree with el richo. Everyone is different so my needs and your needs are not the same as well as I like red you like blue etc!
Sit down and write your likes, dislikes, your needs etc etc etc it can be as exstensive as you wish but I would limit it to my top five likes, my top five this and that. Compare it even fro the internet and you will quickly find a limited amount of locations, towns that meet your matches. I am sure you have the idea.
Just a note: I wanted to go East coast until only last week where I had a panick attack and decided to re evaluate the whole thing and I have now made a very rash decision and booked up to go to Calgary last night My belief is there are more people and jobs in Alberta so I have a wider market to find a job!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Yes I understand have been trawling through the wiki all day obviously it is down to personal tastes.
Dinger that was us for a good 12 months we were hell bent on East coast we loved what we saw, but looks like we have changed our minds for the same reasons as yourself is that we are worried about finding work. My husband is an electrician and has 3 years of experience, we currenly run our own electrical contracting business of which I manage the accounts/payroll etc, problem is I am not actualy qualified on paper to do very much, so would just be looking for a general part time job anywhere to work around the children.
Yes I think the climate has had an effect on our decision also as we were looking for warmer rather than a heavy snow fall
Thanks for the input guys
Good luck with your travels
JO
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I keep harping on about this on here but I have had to in the past use distant learning and I am of the opinion that if you can get a few small courses to put on your resume then it looks a bit better. I have seen a couple of Canadian companies offering training. It may be a possibility that you yourself can get a couple of short courses and fit them with looking after the kids. Most are fairly short and fit around your schedule. If you can go Canadian then it may be away of making yourself more employable when you arrive?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:30 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jolee7
Yes I understand have been trawling through the wiki all day obviously it is down to personal tastes.
Dinger that was us for a good 12 months we were hell bent on East coast we loved what we saw, but looks like we have changed our minds for the same reasons as yourself is that we are worried about finding work. My husband is an electrician and has 3 years of experience, we currenly run our own electrical contracting business of which I manage the accounts/payroll etc, problem is I am not actualy qualified on paper to do very much, so would just be looking for a general part time job anywhere to work around the children.
Yes I think the climate has had an effect on our decision also as we were looking for warmer rather than a heavy snow fall
Thanks for the input guys
Good luck with your travels
JO
Jo

What kind of electrician is your OH ??
He will need to sit his licence and pass to become redseal, i would worry to much as if he got a job and moved over you can do that within the first 6mths..
To challenge the exam you need to prove your apprentice in the uk and 9000hrs within the trade (that is after the training)
Once he has done that then you can advise employers that you are able to challenge the red seal, i know when we was looking employers was not interested, but once they saw the redseal they knew that he was qualified....

Here in alberta jobs are about for experienced trades, but its hard to get the paperwork sorted for some, if i can be of any help just yell

LB
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Awww thanks so much Lancashirebird yes Husband is fully qualified time served electrician 30 years in the trade, he works in both domestic and commercial and sometimes industrial dependent on job.
We have had conflicting info regarding the Red seal certification, we were looking at Nova Scotia for the last 12 months and have always been lead to believe that if you were lucky enough to find a job on landing that the employer would expect you to pass the red seal examination.
However on our last visit to the Expo at Liverpool we were talking to one of the emmigration advisors for Alberta and she said no big deal if you were going across on the skilled Visa process and that there would be no 6 months timeline to obtain the red seal as you would already have the PR visa ???
Somewhat confusing but all that by the by my husband would go and sit in anyway as I do believe it would gain him a better job prospect and better salary. We have only in the last 2 months changed our minds on where to settle so we are still in the process of looking into areas etc etc.
Thanks for your input most helpful I take it you reside in Alberta??? If so in which part ???
Jo