Reload this Page >

In a bit of a pickle.

In a bit of a pickle.

Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Alex88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post In a bit of a pickle.

Hello Users,

I came across this site today and with great interest joined.

I am 19 y/o from UK, Somerset. This time last year i met a Canadian Girl from Nova Scotia and well the rest is history.

We have been bouncing back and fourth from the UK to NS the whole year. Im in the UK at present after returning from a 5 month stay there.

Now i have serached high and low for help and answers and i just keep getting lost.

So let me tell you my aim. Before the year is out i hope to be able to go back to Canada and work, get a little apartment in halifax and start working towarsds making canada my permanent home.

Now i have looked into many things like Sponsorship and Work visas but i am finding this all very hard to grasp normally im quite easy minded and pick up things fast but not this! I have seen articles on Temoary Work Visas etc i was under the impression i had to be offered a job by someone in Canada before i can get a permit. And getting a job is so hard, iv tried Canadian Goverment sites job bank sites, monster etc.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a bit of a pickle.

BUNAC
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about

Assuming you're not currently studying at university... you'd be eligible to apply for a BUNAC non-student working holiday visa... this means you could work in Canada for up to a year, but don't have to secure a job in order to get your VISA.

You'd still have to worry about what to do after that year, but it could be a short(ish) term solution for your situation.

However, applications for this year have closed... they should open again in December and you could travel out after mid-February 2009...

Good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:32 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex88
Hello Users,

I came across this site today and with great interest joined.

I am 19 y/o from UK, Somerset. This time last year i met a Canadian Girl from Nova Scotia and well the rest is history.

We have been bouncing back and fourth from the UK to NS the whole year. Im in the UK at present after returning from a 5 month stay there.

Now i have serached high and low for help and answers and i just keep getting lost.

So let me tell you my aim. Before the year is out i hope to be able to go back to Canada and work, get a little apartment in halifax and start working towarsds making canada my permanent home.

Now i have looked into many things like Sponsorship and Work visas but i am finding this all very hard to grasp normally im quite easy minded and pick up things fast but not this! I have seen articles on Temoary Work Visas etc i was under the impression i had to be offered a job by someone in Canada before i can get a permit. And getting a job is so hard, iv tried Canadian Goverment sites job bank sites, monster etc.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Hello and welcome to BE, the process of coming to Canada can be a minefield so please take time to read the WIKI thread found on the blue line at the top, it has much information but will take a while to diseminate and take in so please sit comfortably.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Had you thought about the NS community program, I don't really know how it works but there are some users who have used that channel to get to NS so they may be of help.

Good luck
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, the best option is probably BUNAC and to use that year to find a permanent job offer that would qualify you under the Nova Scotia PNP program, or at least for a longer-term work permit after which you might qualify for sponsorship.

Just be sure to apply early as the visas go fast.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:36 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice

I believe the non student Bunac visas have run out for this year, I think nearer the end of the year they may get some more but not 100% sure. 2009 non student Bunac visa applications opens in Dec 08 I think.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a change with BUNAC now and you cant have a fiance?? or it that just a British one??
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:22 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
Is there a change with BUNAC now and you cant have a fiance?? or it that just a British one??
Yea, Bunac made some interesting changes this year! This is from the website......

If you have a Canadian partner*, you may not eligible to apply to the Work or Gap Canada programme. If you have a UK partner* who is not taking part in the Work or Gap Canada programme, this may also affect your application. If either of these apply to you, please contact BUNAC before you apply to the programme.

* Partner means engaged, married, or have lived together for more than twelve months.

Looks like the OP would be ok as far as Bunac goes.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Yea, Bunac made some interesting changes this year! This is from the website......

If you have a Canadian partner*, you may not eligible to apply to the Work or Gap Canada programme. If you have a UK partner* who is not taking part in the Work or Gap Canada programme, this may also affect your application. If either of these apply to you, please contact BUNAC before you apply to the programme.

* Partner means engaged, married, or have lived together for more than twelve months.

Looks like the OP would be ok as far as Bunac goes.
The "rest is history" sounds pretty much like engaged, but then if they were could she sponsor him or do they have to married? So they may as well get married then if they plan on living in happyeverafterland
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:04 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa! He's only 19 years old, put down the wedding outfit & back away!

That's the 'committment-phobe' inside me running far far away from the ball & chain scenario

Anyway, Bunac would be ideal in this situation. The girlfriend could sponsor him if they meet the rules set out here...http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Whoa! He's only 19 years old, put down the wedding outfit & back away!
That's the 'committment-phobe' inside me running far far away from the ball & chain scenario

Anyway, Bunac would be ideal in this situation. The girlfriend could sponsor him if they meet the rules set out here...http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...asp#common_law

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted.

Why the heck not?? Sometimes you just know.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:19 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty

Why the heck not?? Sometimes you just know.
I got married at 19 and am still married only it took us 32 years to get to Canada
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:36 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I got married at 19 and am still married only it took us 32 years to get to Canada
I married Mrs_P days before my 22nd birthday and she was a couple of weeks from her 20th birthday.

This year we celebrate our 39th anniversary.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:52 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I married Mrs_P days before my 22nd birthday and she was a couple of weeks from her 20th birthday.

This year we celebrate our 39th anniversary.
Does that make us stayers or martyrs

Are you doing something spectacular to celebrate your 40th?

Last edited by Lorna_D; Mar 27th 2008 at 4:53 am. Reason: added
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Smile Re: In a bit of a pickle.

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Does that make us stayers or martyrs

Are you doing something spectacular to celebrate your 40th?
Lovies calm down. The Lad is 19 and wanted some advice on visas not marriage. He can work that side out himself.

ontheboatout is a fair expert on the NS community stream. Use the search feature and find posts by him. Either that or post that you want to live in the Halifax area and he will come on instilling the virtues of the north. (just kidding).

Good luck .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.