Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A bit of advice about moving to Toronto

A bit of advice about moving to Toronto

Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A bit of advice about moving to Toronto

Have a look here to see if you can join this group http://www.ciqs-ontario.org/ontario/...er-information and get some Canadian letters after your name. It isn't a regulated profession but Canadians like to see that your foreign qualifications are accepted here.

Also, how much annual leave will you get? You may not have as much time for travel as you are used to having.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to move to another place. No one can know beforehand how they will adapt to that move. Anyone telling you it's a good idea or a bad idea is simply voicing their own perspective, with no way of knowing how you will adapt.

If someone moved from London to Edinburgh, no doubt it could be as easy or as difficult a move as moving to Canada. They are in fact culturally different and that is where, how any individual will adapt becomes unknowable.

Some people adapt easily to change and others not at all. Some people miss 'home' after being away on vacation for 5 days (I've personally heard people expressing that). There is only one way to know how you will react and that is by doing it. There is no way to know beforehand.

There is no good and bad or right and wrong in how you react, what is, is. I happen to be someone for whom the saying, 'home is where I hang my hat' is pretty much the way it is. In the last 25 years I have lived in 4 countries and in several different parts of some of those 4. A total of 7 'moves' of from 1 year to 7 years in each. I felt at home every time after an initial period of adjustment.

On the other hand, I have watched many people make a move and after 1 or 2 years, pack up and go 'home'. It just wasn't their cup of tea. They tried it, they didn't like it. It had NOTHING to do with where they moved to (unless it was some war torn country or something). It had everything to do with their individual ability to adapt and accept what is different.

So my advice is do what you want to do. Stories about this is better or that is worse are meaningless. Here is a personal observation re crime for example. On a visit to the UK, my brother was walking down a street right next to St. Andrews University in Scotland. He remarked to me that every car parked along the street had a locking bar on the steering wheel. He grew up and lived in Toronto and was amazed to see that. He had never seen anything like that in Toronto. His conclusion, 'there must be a lot of car thefts here'. The total opposite of what Dashie might say based on having had a car broken into in Canada. You cannot take one incident and draw a conclusion based on that alone.

There are countless numbers of people who would love to have the opportunity to do it and especially under the circumstances you describe re a willing employer etc.

Another aspect is the attitude of the person making the move. You have to have a positive outlook and be determined to make the move work out. There are inevitable bumps in the road and you have to be able to get past those to the best of your ability. I see many people make a move only to have their attitude let them down when the setbacks they faced were not insurmountable. Obviously some moves don't work out despite our best intentions. However, if a move doesn't work out, don't let it be because of a poor attitude.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 17th 2014 at 1:48 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

my $0.02 in red...
Originally Posted by redharry08
Good afternoon,

My wife has been offered a transfer within her company to work in their Toronto office. She worked there for a month last September and loved it and now they are pushing to get her there permanent. I went to visit her and also loved the place so the offer is very tempting. But as you will have all experienced there are major pros and cons to consider. We are both doing well financially in steady jobs, have a mortgage, both have car finances (both fairly recent too), 2 cats to consider and we live a good life.
But the lure of Canada and what it has to offer, and with chances like this very rare we can't stop thinking about moving and worried we will live to regret it.

So please could I have some advice on the following please:

What do we do regarding our cars, we are both with Audi finance so is there anything that could be done with this?
If your wife's employer really want her to move, try raising this with them. It's not unheard of for an employer to cover the cost of breaking a lease; it may be more difficult if it's purchase finance rather than leasing. But you lose nothing by asking the question...

Is the cost of living as high as it seems? Our mortgage is only 3750 a month but rent looks like it's more than this?
Comparing rents to mortgages is a bit lopsided in the Toronto housing market right now. The dynamics are a little skewed, there are thousands of new condo units being built downtown, thousands of identikit houses being whacked up in the suburbs, and a bit of a bubble going on that may or may not "self-correct." Rather than comparing one country to the other, more sensible would be to look at proportion of income spent on housing. Rentals (depending on what you rent and where) may include some or all of the variable costs such as utilities, property taxes, cable, etc.

I will obviously be out of work, if my wife gets a job this gives me a pass into the country ( I think). what's the demand for Quantity Surveyors in Toronto?

There have been previous threads on this. I'm not sure a QS exists here in the same way it does in the UK; the "project estimator" role is taken on by different flavours of professionals, and the management accounting functions tend to reside within the finance group for large projects. I'm no expert, though: try searching the forum (assuming the search function's working again) for Quantity Surveyor Canada to pull up some of those discussions.

If your OH is here initially as an intra-company transferee on a Temporary Work Permit (TWP), you will presumably have a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) which allows you to work for almost anyone. I like Bats' suggestion that you look for qualification-equivalency stuff, too.

Is moving there worth the upheaval and giving up our lives in the UK for? Please give me some good points that makes Toronto and Canada better than the UK.

As others have said, it's not that Toronto is especially better than the UK. It's not, frankly, all that different. But if you have the opportunity, and you'll not be any worse off for taking it, then you may as well not give yourselves an excuse to look back later in life and regret not having tried...

I really will appreciate any advice I receive, we really can't make a decision so it'll be nice to hear from those that have made the plunge.

Kind Regards

Harry.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I will obviously be out of work, if my wife gets a job this gives me a pass into the country ( I think). what's the demand for Quantity Surveyors in Toronto?
I worked in Toronto in the engineering/land use planning/architectural field in Toronto for 6 years and then 19 years in Ottawa and I have run into quantity surveyors twice...both of them were scottish born and trained. Both of those gentlement were required to provide cost estimates for construction etc for the banks that were loaning money for a construction project.

Does this help?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=quant...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Not sure if this is the case, but for many professional accreditations, the UK version is not always recognized in Canada....you should research this ahead of time.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

here are a couple of previous threads about the QS/estimator issue...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800407

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769117

Cheeky_Monkey, who has worked as an estimator in Ontario with a British QS background, is still active on the forums. Might be worth pinging him...
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
As others have said, it's not that Toronto is especially better than the UK. It's not, frankly, all that different.
That's a very subjective issue that can have some people agreeing and others disagreeing with you to varying degrees. It really depends on a lot of factors e.g. where you moved from, what your lifestyle was like, your personality, your interests and hobbies, political beliefs, religious beliefs, etc. If things like climate, geography, multiculturalism, etc are important to you, you can have debates about how similar Toronto (or Canada in general) really is to the UK.

Also, can you really compare a foreign city with the UK which is an entire country? There are parts of the UK that are very different from each other. Similarly, Toronto is very different from various parts of Canada.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Similarly, Toronto is very different from various parts of Canada.
Montreal, of course, but where else? It all looks pretty similar to me.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

That's a very subjective issue that can have some people agreeing and others disagreeing with you to varying degrees. It really depends on a lot of factors e.g. where you moved from, what your lifestyle was like, your personality, your interests and hobbies, political beliefs, religious beliefs, etc. If things like climate, geography, multiculturalism, etc are important to you, you can have debates about how similar Toronto (or Canada in general) really is to the UK.

Also, can you really compare a foreign city with the UK which is an entire country? There are parts of the UK that are very different from each other. Similarly, Toronto is very different from various parts of Canada.
The OH is mid-30s, professional, living in Manchester. I was answering his specific question, and I even kept my response inline with the quote you have pulled it from. He has acknowledged in a previous post that there's no really strong pull to Canada in general or Toronto in particular. As an urban environment for a youngish DINK professional couple with an acknowledged liking for "America", I don't think Toronto would be a huge cultural upheaval. In that specific regard, Toronto is not, frankly, all that different to the UK.

Why pull the one sentence out of context and take issue with it?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dulciusexasperis
It's a good point to bring up property tax. It can indeed vary a great deal and without providing any signifigant difference in the services you get for your money.

Property tax is assessed based on your home value and the number of people and businesses who are paying in to the 'pot' of money that buys you the services you want. ie. garbage pickup, snow removal, street lighting, etc. etc. The more there are paying in, the lower the cost per $100k of property you own. Pretty simple really.

It's not about complaining about paying, it's about being able to get the same for less cost elsewhere. The cost is justifiable but that doesn't make it less of a cost.

Buy in one area and your property tax might be $3k per year while in another area it is $6k per year for the same services. Unlike your house cost which is an investment (reasonable to expect that the value will increase over the long term), property taxes are purely a cost. That money is gone.

So it is always wise to look at what the property taxes are when comparing two otherwise comparable houses in different areas.
I have seen places in Kincardine on the Bruce Peninsula where the property tax was almost 3 times the one of Toronto, and even in the GTA, considering Markham, Vaughn or Oakville and Georgetown can help. I've also seen places in Toronto where the property tax would be comparable to the British council tax, when it comes to annual cost.

The issue is, compared to the UK, in Canada your property tax is not only tied to value increases of your property, but Canadian municipalities are more used to billing owners for things like new roads, or new electric lines, etc.. The latter happens more in the country where there is not as much infrastructure and something needs upgrading.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The OH is mid-30s, professional, living in Manchester. I was answering his specific question, and I even kept my response inline with the quote you have pulled it from. He has acknowledged in a previous post that there's no really strong pull to Canada in general or Toronto in particular. As an urban environment for a youngish DINK professional couple with an acknowledged liking for "America", I don't think Toronto would be a huge cultural upheaval. In that specific regard, Toronto is not, frankly, all that different to the UK.

Why pull the one sentence out of context and take issue with it?
My wife and I also moved from Manchester to Toronto. We were also a young DINK couple. I thought there was a pretty big difference between our life in Canada and the one we had in the UK. Like I said, it's a subjective thing.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 17th 2014 at 8:54 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

My wife and I also moved from Manchester to Toronto. We were also a young DINK couple. I thought there was a pretty big difference between our life in Canada and the one we had in the UK. Like I said, it's a subjective thing.
Really? You've got me all intrigued now. In what way was your life in Toronto significantly different from your life in Manchester? That's not meant as a provocative or snarky question, by the way - I'm just genuinely puzzled how much an urban professional couple would really notice the day-to-day difference between one reasonably big city and another.

Other than the obvious (dare I say dbd-esque?) things like Manchester's easier to get to Europe from and Toronto's easier to get to the States from.... and it rains more in Manchester but snows more in Toronto

I moved as a nuclear family from suburban southwest London to suburban outer-GTA, and apart from the fact that everything's spread out enough to warrant becoming a multi-car household, and not having to share a back garden with our downstairs neighbours, I'm hard pressed to point to any enormous cultural or lifestyle change. I suppose it might be different for you hip young urban condo-dwellers
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

redharry08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, thanks to all for the advice. The job agency link is very helpful and I've contacted them to see if they can discuss any roles they may have. I have estimating experience so that will put me in good stead hopefully.

We have decided that if the package is right, and I will get a job pretty quickly then we are going to take the plunge for a year at least.

I just wish I could take my beloved Man United over with me!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish I could take my beloved Man United over with me!
If it helps, my husband is also a football fan - die-hard Arsenal since he was a kid. He finds it way easier to watch games here! The 3pm kickoff games are actually aired, and then he can watch them at 10am which is a bit less anti-social in terms of doing things on a weekend! So he's finding he's watching more football now that he's moved! :P
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

redharry08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If it helps, my husband is also a football fan - die-hard Arsenal since he was a kid. He finds it way easier to watch games here! The 3pm kickoff games are actually aired, and then he can watch them at 10am which is a bit less anti-social in terms of doing things on a weekend! So he's finding he's watching more football now that he's moved! :P
That's good news, I'm sure my wife will be happy at this, thanks.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

If you go to games, rather than watch on TV, it is something I think you will miss. I definitely do. I miss going to the pub with my mates before a game and generally the whole social experience and atmosphere of attending. Watching on TV isn't the same for me and I usually just check the scores now. But if you have a family then I suppose it might be better from the 'doing things at the weekend' point of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.