Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bisto gravy powder- not granules?

Wikiposts

Bisto gravy powder- not granules?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:23 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bisto gravy powder- not granules?

Save on foods/ thriftys and i'm sure superstore here and its in a red and cream coloured box, not brown. Thrifty's has bisto granules in Nanaimo anyway.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
Have tried safeway and coop! Clearly the wrong ones?
Perhaps looking in the wrong place?

Ask a clerk.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Tatamagouche, North Shore, NS. Also Golden Syrup and tinned custard.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

exbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to allexbrit is a name known to all

Sobey's in Alberta carry it - at the least the couple I have tried do. Costco also do a similar product, in a bag located by the herbs and seasonings.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:14 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

I have seen the granules in No Frills as well.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I would like the Bisto Best granules, they are gluten free. Havent seen them here at all

Otherwise when I am not in a hurry or feeling lazy I use Knorr veloutine which thickens up the stock, meat juices etc ok and gives it the requistite brown colour. MOH finds it acceptable
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:26 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I've just returned from a dental appointment. Since my dentist's office is in the same building as Oakridge Coop, I popped in there to see if they had Bisto gravy powder. They did. As far as I could tell, they had only the beef flavour, not chicken.

I don't know if the size of the box was as large as the boxes you get in the UK. But it was a box, not one of those little packets that are intended for individual meals (McCormick's et al). It was located on the same shelf as those individual gravy packets. There were bouillon cubes there as well.

This is relevant to the original post, inasmuch as Gryphea and I both live in Calgary.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

The point of the bisto powders is:

They are veggie, made from potato starch

They do not have MSg, much salt, load of other rubbish such as hydrogenated fats, just pretty much potato starch and natural colour caramel.

Son is not meant to have unlabelled veg oils/hydrogentated fats due to nut allergy

All the bistos I have encountered so far are not the same, will check other coops, sobeys and PC but none seem to be the same as UK bisto powders. I know this could be taken by some as a wanting to stay like the UK, but its just hard for us with veggie husband and egg and nut allergic child!

Gryphea
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:18 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
The point of the bisto powders is:

They are veggie, made from potato starch

They do not have MSg, much salt, load of other rubbish such as hydrogenated fats, just pretty much potato starch and natural colour caramel.

Son is not meant to have unlabelled veg oils/hydrogentated fats due to nut allergy

All the bistos I have encountered so far are not the same, will check other coops, sobeys and PC but none seem to be the same as UK bisto powders. I know this could be taken by some as a wanting to stay like the UK, but its just hard for us with veggie husband and egg and nut allergic child!

Gryphea
So are you saying that you have found Bisto gravy powder, but that it isn't the same Bisto gravy powder as the kind in the UK?

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant that you hadn't found Bisto gravy powder in the stores in which you'd looked.

I didn't realize the other issues. Not realizing the issues, it didn't occur to me to look at the ingredients on the box that I saw at Coop this morning.

If you are looking for something that's safe for your egg and nut allergic child, I think there might be merit in trying a health food store. There are smaller health food stores all over the place, and a small handful of larger ones. I'm not familiar with the ones in the northwest. I am familiar with Community Natural Foods in the Beltline area and Planet Organic at the intersection of Elbow Drive and Southland Drive.

I've heard good things about Amaranth Whole Foods Market at 7 Arbour Lake Drive NW, Calgary, telephone 403-547-6333.

They may not have Bisto as such. But they may have something that's roughly equivalent.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:39 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I have not seen the Uk Bisto in any of the shops, only the Canadian equivalent. Which is quite bland in comparison but with afew oxo's comes up to scratch. Have just looked at the box i have and the ingredients are:

Modified corn starch
salt
caramel
wheat starch
soy flour
hydrolyzed soy and corn protein
torula yeast
carrot powder and
onion powder
No Added Preservatives.
It says no fats/sugars/ fiber
has sodium and carbohydrates.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:18 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sans
I have not seen the Uk Bisto in any of the shops, only the Canadian equivalent. Which is quite bland in comparison but with afew oxo's comes up to scratch. Have just looked at the box i have and the ingredients are:

Modified corn starch
salt
caramel
wheat starch
soy flour
torula yeast
carrot powder and
onion powder
No Added Preservatives.
Ditto for the box of Bisto I have in front of me.

Ingredients for the Bisto Savoury Gravy for Poultry.

Modified Corn Starch
Salt
Sugar
Wheat Starch
Caramel
Monosodium Glutamate
Seasoning
Onion Flavour
Soy Flour
Garlic Flavour
Hydrolyzed Soy
Corn Protein
Torula Yeast

No Added Preservatives.
Has sodium and carbohydrates.

As in the ingredients in Sans reply the items listed are from top to bottom most to least.

I found Bisto in both flavours at the Crowfoot Safeway at the top of aisle 12 up by the meats, there is a sign over the aisle at that point saying "Gravy and Stuffing".

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I would like the Bisto Best granules, they are gluten free. Havent seen them here at all

Otherwise when I am not in a hurry or feeling lazy I use Knorr veloutine which thickens up the stock, meat juices etc ok and gives it the requistite brown colour. MOH finds it acceptable
Thanks- will look up veloutine!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sans

Modified corn starch
salt
caramel
wheat starch
soy flour
torula yeast
carrot powder and
onion powder
No Added Preservatives.
This looks OK- maybe I just have dismissed all the 'gravy for chicken, gravy for beef etc' assuming they weren't veggie when they were!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
So are you saying that you have found Bisto gravy powder, but that it isn't the same Bisto gravy powder as the kind in the UK?

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant that you hadn't found Bisto gravy powder in the stores in which you'd looked.

I didn't realize the other issues. Not realizing the issues, it didn't occur to me to look at the ingredients on the box that I saw at Coop this morning.

If you are looking for something that's safe for your egg and nut allergic child, I think there might be merit in trying a health food store. There are smaller health food stores all over the place, and a small handful of larger ones. I'm not familiar with the ones in the northwest. I am familiar with Community Natural Foods in the Beltline area and Planet Organic at the intersection of Elbow Drive and Southland Drive.

I've heard good things about Amaranth Whole Foods Market at 7 Arbour Lake Drive NW, Calgary, telephone 403-547-6333.

They may not have Bisto as such. But they may have something that's roughly equivalent.

Hope that helps.
Amaranth is indeed brilliant- I try not to go too often as I spend way way too much. Thing is I ahven't thought to look for gravy there so will do!

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:29 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Blatant advert for Wife's business follows:-

In Winnipeg, Raging Brit at 2615 Portage Ave has both Bisto and Paxo.

Oh and The Restaurant is now Open and the Fish & Chips are first class, as are the Battered Sausages and Chips, heck its all good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.