Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Birds, the feathered kind!!

Birds, the feathered kind!!

Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:53 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Birds, the feathered kind!!

As I sit here looking out the window into our garden,we have a vast variation of bird life and I suddenly realise I will miss our feathered visitors.
After visiting my cousin in Barrie several times, we only seem to have seen Grackles (those horrible squawking things!!!) although we have seen the odd cardinal and a blue jay.
So what bird life can you see out of your window?

Kelly
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birds, the feathered kind!!

Originally Posted by kellydrew
As I sit here looking out the window into our garden,we have a vast variation of bird life and I suddenly realise I will miss our feathered visitors.
After visiting my cousin in Barrie several times, we only seem to have seen Grackles (those horrible squawking things!!!) although we have seen the odd cardinal and a blue jay.

Kelly

Magpies in Manchester - they drive me mad :scared:
Old Oct 21st 2006, 11:24 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by burton bunch

Yes I get fed up of saluting every time I see one!!!!
Won't miss them

Kelly
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:09 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
You might not want to hear this, but magpies are the majority bird in my Calgary yard too!
We get some giant robins though, and soon we should see an increase in Canada geese flying noisily by.

I know that some folks have humming birds (you can buy the special feeders here) and sweet little things called chickadees, and other small birds, especially in gardens with rather more trees and stuff than we have maybe?

During October there is a migration of eagles, especially golden eagles, down through the rockies. Several thousand of the things! We plan to go up to Kananaskis (about an hour away) on Sunday to see if we might spot any.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:10 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Kelly
Throughout the day - Stellar jays, towhees, Oregan Juncos, chickadees, masses of sparrows, grosbeaks, a small woodpecker, eagles soaring over the field at the back, crows, and every morning a peregrine falcon sits on the fence waiting for the sparrows to get up, to have breakfast. Yuk! But it's nature I guess. Oh, and at dusk a white owl swoops around the field.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have a pair of Blue Jays that sit on the fence chattering at the window for me to feed them!!! They are beautiful.

I have given up saluting at he magpies.....also counting, one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl etc...... there are just too many of them!!!!
We see lots of geese.

While in Calgary in Aug I saw a humming bird....I thought they were brightly coloured, but this one was just a sparrow brown.

Last summer (in Edmonton) we saw pelican's......fantastic !!!!

Linda
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Kelly

Eagles soaring everywhere, nuthatches, sparrows, hummingbirds and an assortment of others. If we go down to the beach very early in the morning we can sometimes see blue herons and loons feeding.

In the spring we have seals on the beach mating.....what a noise!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My mom who lives in the KW area has trained both the bluejays and cardinals to come at her whistle. She has the bluejays trained to take a peanut right out of her hand (no lie), although the cardinals are more timid.

She has tons of squirrels, red squirrels, and a few rabbits as well. The squirrels will also take peanuts out of her hand.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:48 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by willmore
My mom who lives in the KW area has trained both the bluejays and cardinals to come at her whistle. She has the bluejays trained to take a peanut right out of her hand (no lie), although the cardinals are more timid.

She has tons of squirrels, red squirrels, and a few rabbits as well. The squirrels will also take peanuts out of her hand.
My husband, who is disabled, sits by the patio door, and there is one stellar jay that comes and knocks on the glass door (no lie!) until my husband opens it and gives him a peanut - the bird takes it from his hand. There's also a couple of squirrels that will do that, but often the dog comes rushing through and chases the squirrels away!

One poster mentioned brown hummingbirds - sometimes they are dull coloured but we mostly see green or red ones in our garden. They have become quite used to us sitting outside and go to the hanging baskets without any fear.

Life is good here in "lotus land"!!!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore

When we first moved to Leeds we had a squirrel, Nutty, who would tap on the patio window for me to feed him. If the door was open the cheeky little thing would pop his head in and chatter at me.....hubby use to say that it was only that little fellow that kept me in Leeds....I was very homesick for the first year....he was probably right.
When we dug the garden to turf it, it was full of monkey nuts!!!!

Linda
Old Oct 21st 2006, 5:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most startling things I have seen, while horseback riding in Red Deer county was a bluebird!! Just incredibly blue!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Linda P
When we first moved to Leeds we had a squirrel, Nutty, who would tap on the patio window for me to feed him. If the door was open the cheeky little thing would pop his head in and chatter at me.....hubby use to say that it was only that little fellow that kept me in Leeds....I was very homesick for the first year....he was probably right.
When we dug the garden to turf it, it was full of monkey nuts!!!!

Linda

PMSL - my mom's squirrels and chipmunks - her favourite is Mr. O'Reilly come into her sunroom where the nuts are stored and help themselves. They made such a mess that she was forced to store them in a metal garbage can. Last winter they chewed a hole in her screen door and she had to replace it.

The little buggers!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that made me really homesick whilst we were still living in our 1st house here was talking to my Mum whilst she was in her English garden one summer afternoon and I could here all these birds in the background We have since moved to an older house ('79) which is in an older (obviuosly) area which has plenty of mature trees which gives us plenty of birds and apart from Jay Birds and magpies and the sparrows I couldn't tell you what we get, but there are some things the size of a blackbird which have red chests.........
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
One of the things that made me really homesick whilst we were still living in our 1st house here was talking to my Mum whilst she was in her English garden one summer afternoon and I could here all these birds in the background We have since moved to an older house ('79) which is in an older (obviuosly) area which has plenty of mature trees which gives us plenty of birds and apart from Jay Birds and magpies and the sparrows I couldn't tell you what we get, but there are some things the size of a blackbird which have red chests.........

You're making me homesick for ontario. Take any spring, summer or fall late afternoon and call my mom and you will probably find her sitting outside with a glass of wine feeding the birds. The noise in the background especially from the bluejays was overwhelming.....she loves every minute of it....!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I couldn't tell you what we get, but there are some things the size of a blackbird which have red chests.........

I am told they are Robins!!!! biggest bloody Robins I have ever seen....but then we are told that everything is bigger in Canada

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.