Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:22 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Originally Posted by flashman
Apparently the Japanese believe that a child conceived under the Northern Lights will be a genius which accounts for lots of Japanese honeymooners.

So you now know what you should have been doing!
Bit cold for that out on the deck last night
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:26 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
.........was it a chemical leak from the gas plants at Fort Saskatchewan.......?

Er, no.................we saw the NORTHERN LIGHTS last night !!!!

Chuffed to little pieces, as its the first time we have EVER seen it, and we weren't up in the Yukon or Northwest Territories either.....we stood out on our deck. !

No photo's , as my camera isn't up to the job, but the lights glowed green and moved and pulsated, and changed shape in front of our eyes.
Pretty darn cool !

Anyone else share our experience?? It was around 10pm last night.
It's awesome, isn't it. One night last year O/H and I sat out in the middle of our back yard in the dark looking towards the mountains (very little light pollution) and watched a wonderful display. I couldn't believe we were the only people in our neighbourhood watching.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:34 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Bit cold for that out on the deck last night
Maybe thats why the child concieved would be a genius... if parents were brilliant enough to devise away around the 'shrinkage' issues... *ahem* stopping there!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

We've seen the northern lights quite a few times in the 3 years we've been here - again we're near Edmonton, just 15mins west. They are beautiful

Shooting stars are quite common here too - if you keep a look out - and hubby saw a big meteor blazing through the sky a couple of years ago when we were camping in Hinton. As big as a car he said - you could see the firey trail and everything - amazing I missed it - had just gone to bed...
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Oh wow, that is amazing and something i would love to see.

You are allowed to be blown away by it.

Differnt, i know, but when i saw bears up close a few weeks ago i kept telling everyone about them!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:28 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Robski
Oh wow, that is amazing and something i would love to see.

You are allowed to be blown away by it.

Differnt, i know, but when i saw bears up close a few weeks ago i kept telling everyone about them!
All these 'firsts' are pretty special. We have seen Bears, Coyotes, Moose, Mounties and now the Northern Lights. Just need Polar Bears and a big old whale and we are truly Canadianised.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

All these 'firsts' are pretty special. We have seen Bears, Coyotes, Moose, Mounties and now the Northern Lights. Just need Polar Bears and a big old whale and we are truly Canadianised.
Try a skunk living under the floor of your garage. Then you'll really have been marked as Canadian !
Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:50 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by flashman
Try a skunk living under the floor of your garage. Then you'll really have been marked as Canadian !

Yours.........???????
Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:18 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You might be interested in this site?

http://www.aurorachasers.com/
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Yours.........???????
Yup !

Happened to me some time ago.

Got a Pest Control Contractor to catch them and turn them loose in the country except for one that a lady took for a pet.

At least she won't be bothered by prowlers or intruders.