Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:02 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

.........was it a chemical leak from the gas plants at Fort Saskatchewan.......?

Er, no.................we saw the NORTHERN LIGHTS last night !!!!

Chuffed to little pieces, as its the first time we have EVER seen it, and we weren't up in the Yukon or Northwest Territories either.....we stood out on our deck. !

No photo's , as my camera isn't up to the job, but the lights glowed green and moved and pulsated, and changed shape in front of our eyes.
Pretty darn cool !

Anyone else share our experience?? It was around 10pm last night.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Was it a bird, was it a plane.............

Congrats to you.

I used to watch them on a regular basis when I worked evenings out at the control tower. Always awe inspiring.

Did they look something like any of these: http://www.pbase.com/drhangar/aurora_borealis

These are not my images they are by a fellow who I think lives around where Souvenir lives, Gatineau Quebec.

Cheers
steve
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Did they look something like any of these: http://www.pbase.com/drhangar/aurora_borealis

These are not my images they are by a fellow who I think lives around where Souvenir lives, Gatineau Quebec.

Cheers
steve
Glad you clarified that - would like to see a more detailed footnote next time, but it's a start.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
I am SO jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think I might have seen them from Calgary or would there be too much light pollution.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhh, I hope we see them when we are over.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:31 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Did they look something like any of these:
No, it wasn't as striking as those shots..............much fainter, a lighter green.
I guess either too far away or too much light pollution.........but very pretty non the less.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smelly
I am SO jealous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think I might have seen them from Calgary or would there be too much light pollution.
You can see them from Calgary occasionally but they do have to be quite bright, which they sometimes are.

But to see them better you need to get out of the city. I used to work out at the Springbank airport in the tower and we could see them quite well from there.

Cheers
Steve
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:33 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

ohhh I am also jealous, I would love to see the Northern Lights for real
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

Northern lights are amazing arent they. I have seen a few times up here at the top of Scotland, cant wait to see them in Canada!! Last time got a really good show was last christmas sat on our balcony we had just finished, drinking beer at midnight with friends! Awesome......
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:51 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

.........was it a chemical leak from the gas plants at Fort Saskatchewan.......?

Chuffed to little pieces, as its the first time we have EVER seen it, and we weren't up in the Yukon or Northwest Territories either.....we stood out on our deck. !

No photo's , as my camera isn't up to the job, but the lights glowed green and moved and pulsated, and changed shape in front of our eyes.
Pretty darn cool !

How far noth are you?

I would really love to see them - not much light polution we we are, it's pretty dark ut I think we are too far south.

Does anyone know how far south you can see them?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
How far noth are you?

I would really love to see them - not much light polution we we are, it's pretty dark ut I think we are too far south.

Does anyone know how far south you can see them?
You can see them from just north of Toronto, these pictures were taken from Markdale which is about 2hrs NW of the CN Tower:

http://www.spacew.com/gallery/image002449.html

I guess that means anywhere in Canada without too much ambient light.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:07 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

From time to time we could see then even from the West Island suburbs of Montreal from our corner parks... it depends on the amount of cloud cover and also light pollution but I'd be surprised if you couldn't see it (if even faintly) from most suburbian parks in Canada, no need to rub noses with Inuits/Eskimos to do it although photos/videos taken further north away from civilization make the most spectacular light displays.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:09 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You can see them from just north of Toronto, these pictures were taken from Markdale which is about 2hrs NW of the CN Tower:

http://www.spacew.com/gallery/image002449.html

I guess that means anywhere in Canada without too much ambient light.
at first, having only looked at the first two pics on this page, I was about to give you a hard time for giving us some pictures of lightning and thinking that it was the norther lights! But I see the ones you are referring to are further down...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty darn cool !

Apparently the Japanese believe that a child conceived under the Northern Lights will be a genius which accounts for lots of Japanese honeymooners.

So you now know what you should have been doing!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:21 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by NSpaul
How far noth are you?

?
Outskirts of Edmonton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.