Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

Old May 11th 2012, 5:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

The news has just had a segment showing binge drinking in BC is increasing so much it's becoming a problem. Especilally in the ER departments of hospitals on weekends.

I have a few ideas of the reasons why.
  1. Low socioeconomic British immigrants coming over for better opportunities are sharing their culture with the locals
  2. Canada's facade is slipping with its reality seeping through the cracks
  3. Lack of affordability in Vancouver is making people drink to forget their stress and worry
  4. The weather is depressing people
  5. Canadian kids are actually no different than British kids
  6. It's the only way to improve the quality of driving
  7. It's mainly the lower classes who binge drink
  8. Many areas of BC have bugger all else to do
  9. Drugs are becoming more expensive so people are moving to binge drinking as a recreational activity

Have i missed anything?

For those looking to escape the binge drinking yob culture of the UK, will this impact your decision?

I hear the epidemic is moving its way to Nova Scotia where the local government and healthcare are worried because 90% of the population are scottish and will be more susceptible than most.

I prefer the dope heads. There's rarely a day go by when i don't smell marijuana and see people smoking the stuff on the seawall around Vancouver. At least they're so spaced out they're unable to follow up on threats when i tell them to pick up after themselves, the dirty littering bastards
Old May 11th 2012, 5:52 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

It's probably the result of all the Brits and Irish flooding in to BC.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I like about Toronto is the relative, compared to London UK at any rate, lack of drunk people on the streets. Are there noticeably many more of them in Vancouver do you think?
Old May 11th 2012, 6:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
One of the things I like about Toronto is the relative, compared to London UK at any rate, lack of drunk people on the streets. Are there noticeably many more of them in Vancouver do you think?
I see as many drunk people in Vancouver as I did in London as a %. I see more drug use in Vancouver.

Edit: Actually i did see a pair of drunk transvestites downtown last weekend trying to fight passersby. Very funny!!

Last edited by el_richo; May 11th 2012 at 6:23 pm.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I see as many drunk people in Vancouver as I did in London as a %. I see more drug use in Vancouver.

Edit: Actually i did see a pair of drunk transvestites downtown last weekend trying to fight passersby. Very funny!!
When were you last in London?
Old May 11th 2012, 6:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

Oh for a YouTube video.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I like about Toronto is the relative, compared to London UK at any rate, lack of drunk people on the streets.
I suppose I'm comparing the area around Allen Gardens to the West End which may not be representative in either case but I don't see this at all. I think many, perhaps most, of the people living rough and/or begging in the streets in Toronto are usually drunk. I think all the ones who try to beg from moving cars outside the hooker Harveys are out of it, their teeth and skin suggest meth. Generally, I think most of the people who have wet themselves have probably had a drink though they may not be technically "drunk", it's usual to see people in that state in Toronto, I don't think it is in London.
Old May 11th 2012, 6:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose I'm comparing the area around Allen Gardens to the West End which may not be representative in either case but I don't see this at all. I think many, perhaps most, of the people living rough and/or begging in the streets in Toronto are usually drunk. I think all the ones who try to beg from moving cars outside the hooker Harveys are out of it, their teeth and skin suggest meth. Generally, I think most of the people who have wet themselves have probably had a drink though they may not be technically "drunk", it's usual to see people in that state in Toronto, I don't think it is in London.
I've heard that that place south of Davisville on Yonge is ground zero for this sort of thing. What's it called again, The Sporran?
Old May 11th 2012, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've heard that that place south of Davisville on Yonge is ground zero for this sort of thing. What's it called again, The Sporran?
The Full Sporran.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's certainly a crowed of 'wine experts' around there but, seriously, when was the last time you went out in the West End of London or any town centre in the UK in the evening? By comparison, the worst that Toronto has to offer is pretty mild.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

when was the last time you went out in the West End of London or any town centre in the UK in the evening?
During the Tottenham riots last year. I accept that the country may have gone to the dogs since then.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

During the Tottenham riots last year. I accept that the country may have gone to the dogs since then.
Haha. It's all about personal experience of course, but last month when I was back in the UK visiting some friends in York I saw more sh1t-faced people in one Saturday evening out in the town centre than I've seen in total in the two years since I moved to Toronto. Might just be particularly grim up north I guess, but I don't believe York to be a special case.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Haha. It's all about personal experience of course, but last month when I was back in the UK visiting some friends in York I saw more sh1t-faced people in one Saturday evening out in the town centre than I've seen in total in the two years since I moved to Toronto. Might just be particularly grim up north I guess, but I don't believe York to be a special case.
I'm sure it's not. Go to the Bigg Market or the Quayside on a Saturday night in Newcastle (if you dare). OTOH how often have you been in the Entertainment District of Toronto late on a Saturday night?
Old May 11th 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

OTOH how often have you been in the Entertainment District of Toronto late on a Saturday night?
Reasonably often - I lived on John St near King for a few months when I first moved here. Certainly a few drunks around but not the boat-loads of puking chavs I got used to back in the UK. I don't find this particularly suprising though. A can of Diamond White costs, what, 1.20 from Tescos? The equivalent amount of alcohol from the LCBO or Beer Store would be twice that I would guess. The diferential for booze bought in a club or bar is probably more like 3 or 4 times when you take into account those 'drink all you can for 10 quid before 9 o'clock' type deals.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it's not. Go to the Bigg Market or the Quayside on a Saturday night in Newcastle (if you dare). OTOH how often have you been in the Entertainment District of Toronto late on a Saturday night?
They used to be my drinking haunts back in my teens and early 20s. The Bigg Market is something else!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.