Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Biink...and anyone else that can help.

Biink...and anyone else that can help.

Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice
Default Biink...and anyone else that can help.

My Parents are visiting in December and will be here over the new years.
My neice has just turned 8.

I have things like the childrens museum on the 'to do' list. However I was wondering if anyone knew of anything we could do in Winnipeg for new years ever, suitible for an 8 year old and weather permitting.

thanks for your help.

Last edited by MapleDragon; Nov 17th 2005 at 5:48 am.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biink...and anyone else that can help.

The zoo is fun and unbelievably cheap compared with UK zoos, there's a pretty good indoors exhibit if it's too cold (?Kinsmen Centre) and petting zoo too. How about the Imax cinema in Portage Place - they'll probably have some Xmas themed movie on? Does the Royal Mint do tours? That would probably be interesting.

I bet Grah will have loads more suggestions for you, his kids are nearer your niece's age I think. Mine is still very little (2.5yrs) and his idea of a good time is playing with the train set in Chapters or spending an hour in the viewing gallery at Winnipeg airport...so I haven't discovered much of the things to do with children here yet
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:27 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I am not from Winnipeg myself but one of my staff is. This sounds a little crazy but he tells me that it is common for youngsters to stick thier tongue to a metal sign and wait for someone to help you get off. He says it sure passes the time and other than skating, snowball fighting and watching TV there wasnt a whole lot to do. He did say that the planatarium and touch the universe next to the museum would be an awsome place for an 8 year old.

Maybe walking around winnipeg with warm water helping stupid kids get off signs would be a rewarding experience and helpful to society too.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
The zoo is fun and unbelievably cheap compared with UK zoos, there's a pretty good indoors exhibit if it's too cold (?Kinsmen Centre) and petting zoo too. How about the Imax cinema in Portage Place - they'll probably have some Xmas themed movie on? Does the Royal Mint do tours? That would probably be interesting.

I bet Grah will have loads more suggestions for you, his kids are nearer your niece's age I think. Mine is still very little (2.5yrs) and his idea of a good time is playing with the train set in Chapters or spending an hour in the viewing gallery at Winnipeg airport...so I haven't discovered much of the things to do with children here yet
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Airseir
I am not from Winnipeg myself but one of my staff is. This sounds a little crazy but he tells me that it is common for youngsters to stick thier tongue to a metal sign and wait for someone to help you get off. He says it sure passes the time and other than skating, snowball fighting and watching TV there wasnt a whole lot to do. He did say that the planatarium and touch the universe next to the museum would be an awsome place for an 8 year old.

Maybe walking around winnipeg with warm water helping stupid kids get off signs would be a rewarding experience and helpful to society too.
Hey, you're talking to a "kid" that actually did stick my tongue on a metal lamppost in -30c weather. A small piece of my tongue still remains there - I can still remember how painful it was to remove my tongue from the lampost! Not the brightest thing I ever did as a kid!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:21 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MapleDragon

I have things like the childrens museum on the 'to do' list. However I was wondering if anyone knew of anything we could do in Winnipeg for new years ever, suitible for an 8 year old and weather permitting.

thanks for your help.
Ok,

Fireworks at the forks new years eve.
Skating at the forks - hire the skates there.
Tobogganing down many of the parks banks or purpose made slides -buy a plastic sheet one
Shops of course
Fort Whyte Centre - Call (204)989.8364 for more information or to register -http://www.fortwhyte.org - If open hard to tell on their website
MacDonald's - climbing frame centres. coffee and chocolate pays for an hour.
Movies as suggested.
5-pin and 10 pin glow bowling
A night at a hotel with a water park
Harbour view Rec Complex sounds ok never been tho - 222-2751
Pan am pool
RWB Ballet
Golf dome for miniature golf
Winnipeg Karting
Curling
and Snow Angel making.

Is she into any hobbies Sports?
She may be able to play or take part for Soccer has tournaments over Christmas new year where you play as an individual for your country region of origin.
Watch girls play Hockeyringettesoccer game any local rec centre with a rink field - whilst having a snack type meal from the canteen. Chicken fingers and a poutine especially good at Gateway.
My kids disappear there and mix with lots of other kids running around playing tag or going from rink to rink to soccer.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

]

You guys are gems!

not into sports really, however skating at the forks sounds great. This is her first time to leave the UK so anything different from the norm would seem like so much fun to her.

I can't wait to see her face when she sees all this snow, coming from Cardiff, she doesnt get to see much snow, (if any at all) and its usually only an inch or so and melted within a day.

We've been thinking on making her a home made tabogan, I know the 'crazy carpets' are much cheaper, but I thought that one made especially for her, painted in her fave colour with her name on it would be a nice touch...... And so, for my next question...

How the heck do I make one? ha ha
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

thanks for your help.
Definitely kids love the planetarium at Christmas.They always put on a nice Christmas show of the stars and other planetary objects about Santa coming thru the milky way etc., .
Then there's the kids special "Nutcracker" with all the toys by Wpg Symphony at the concert hall.

A tour of the Winnipeg Christmas lights is number one with little ones as well.

Try going around Linden Woods..they say its good there and downtown as well. One year there were light displays on at the centre by the racetrack but I think they were charging $15 per person or something...robdogs.

Skating on the river at the Forks if the child has proper clothing.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:50 am

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I have a member of staff that tells me his brother did it once a year from when he was 15 until he was 21!!!!!!!!

and they say us brits are wierd with train spotting and trout tickling

Originally Posted by willmore
Hey, you're talking to a "kid" that actually did stick my tongue on a metal lamppost in -30c weather. A small piece of my tongue still remains there - I can still remember how painful it was to remove my tongue from the lampost! Not the brightest thing I ever did as a kid!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:53 am

try this site

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/sleds/

Sledges not tabogans but hey

]

You guys are gems!

not into sports really, however skating at the forks sounds great. This is her first time to leave the UK so anything different from the norm would seem like so much fun to her.

I can't wait to see her face when she sees all this snow, coming from Cardiff, she doesnt get to see much snow, (if any at all) and its usually only an inch or so and melted within a day.

We've been thinking on making her a home made tabogan, I know the 'crazy carpets' are much cheaper, but I thought that one made especially for her, painted in her fave colour with her name on it would be a nice touch...... And so, for my next question...

How the heck do I make one? ha ha
Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

aha thats great! thank you !