Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

[QUOTE=Hangman
we are looking after our granddaughter as we are at the moment, as she has a brand new baby sister who arrived today.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!!!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Db, they look like the ones we drove past on Richmond St East I think, when we headed out to visit the Zoo.
Oh yes, there are a lot of similar houses there, you can look down on them from the flyover. That always puts me in mind of Chiswick/Shephards Bush and the Clash "up and down the Westway, in and out the lights". The ones in the picture are farther east, at Main and Gerrard, they're more valuable because the railroad tracks have been moved and you can't hear the trains. There's a lot of housing of that era in Toronto and the near 'burbs, much of it is being restored and there's the same sort of rush to the next area to be gentrified as you get in London. The houses under the flyover are in Corktown; an area which was about to be gentrified when I arrived and which still is.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

These houses are typical of east end Toronto. There are older three bedroomed detached houses with a shared driveway or a garage in a laneway which have been renovated to varying degrees, they're worth anywhere from $300,000 to $550,000 depending on condition. Wherever builders can get away with it there are infill developments of houses having bathrooms bigger than the lawns. The houses pictured are detached, by six inches, and originally sold for $1,200,000; they're worth a bit more now.
Attached Thumbnails Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck-117_1720.jpg   Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck-117_1727.jpg  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
houses pictured are detached, by six inches, and originally sold for $1,200,000; they're worth a bit more now.
Nice view form the balconies :scared:
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Nice view form the balconies :scared:
Especially now that there's another row in the foreground. Still, someone must think them a bargain.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Especially now that there's another row in the foreground. Still, someone must think them a bargain.
Don't the ones further around the right hand bend in the photo overlook the lake? I ask this cos that looks like a place we drove past during my one and only visit to Toronto earlier this year.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Don't the ones further around the right hand bend in the photo overlook the lake? I ask this cos that looks like a place we drove past during my one and only visit to Toronto earlier this year.
Sort of. Most of them look at the swimming pool (where daughter #1 used to work), three or four look across to the lake, as shown. That development is on the old (horse) racetrack; I don't think of it as being an improvement.
Attached Thumbnails Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck-117_1728.jpg   Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck-117_1729.jpg  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:34 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
We do use our living room quite a lot during the day, especially when we are looking after our granddaughter as we are at the moment, as she has a brand new baby sister who arrived today.
Congratulations
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

We nearly bought a 6-bedroom house with two offices, two living rooms and 1.5 acres for $228,000![/QUOTE]
What stopped you from buying it.........it will be more when you do finally make it here.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:16 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of. Most of them look at the swimming pool (where daughter #1 used to work), three or four look across to the lake, as shown. That development is on the old (horse) racetrack; I don't think of it as being an improvement.

What, they've built houses on the racetrack at Queen ????

I really need to get my self down there now that I back and have a look, I love the Beaches.

Raine
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by raine66
What, they've built houses on the racetrack at Queen ????

I really need to get my self down there now that I back and have a look, I love the Beaches.

Raine
Oh my, you are behind the times. The racetrack is completely concreted over; it's all houses as pictured jammed in next to each other. There's a large off tracking betting parlour and the Irish bar on the north of Queen is still there but almost all the other traces of character have been eliminated. Diamond's is now called the Tulip and has moved down a couple of doors; it now has a place inside for the queue.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:38 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, you are behind the times. The racetrack is completely concreted over; it's all houses as pictured jammed in next to each other. There's a large off tracking betting parlour and the Irish bar on the north of Queen is still there but almost all the other traces of character have been eliminated. Diamond's is now called the Tulip and has moved down a couple of doors; it now has a place inside for the queue.

Yeah sounds like I am.

It must be about 8 years since I've been there so think on the weekend I will take the kids for a drive and a wee play in the park beside the pool.

Please tell me that's still there.

I used to live at Queen & McLean for about 5 years.

Raine
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah sounds like I am.

It must be about 8 years since I've been there so think on the weekend I will take the kids for a drive and a wee play in the park beside the pool.

Please tell me that's still there.

I used to live at Queen & McLean for about 5 years.

Raine
Oh yes, the park's still there. Kew Gardens is still there. The Balmy Beach club and the municipal canoe storage still stand. The yacht club is still there. Scratch Daniel's is still there. Ends is still there and so is the falafel place. There are more Japanese and Thai restaurants now so, apart from the race track it hasn't all gone to hell.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:54 pm
Reunited

Oh yes, the park's still there. Kew Gardens is still there. The Balmy Beach club and the municipal canoe storage still stand. The yacht club is still there. Scratch Daniel's is still there. Ends is still there and so is the falafel place. There are more Japanese and Thai restaurants now so, apart from the race track it hasn't all gone to hell.

Thank god for that coz it really is a nice area.

Raine
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thank god for that coz it really is a nice area.

Raine
Wanna buy a house in that area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.