Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:35 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Bathrooms do seem to be an obsession here. We have one full, one half and a hedge.

There was a house for sale near me last year. It was a biggy, very nice to look at and in great location. It was on the market for ages, which surprised me until I found out that it only has one bathroom. That's a major turn-off, particularly in a house that size.
It is a strange phenomenon! In the UK our house had only one small bathroom and my husband and I survived quite happily for years, even when his teenage daughter came to stay at weekends.

Here in Canada, we have two bathrooms upstairs and plan to put another in the basement as part of our ongoing renovation - why? We only use the main bathroom, which unlike UK has double sinks, but we feel we have to have a third downstairs.

Strange but true!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
It is a strange phenomenon! In the UK our house had only one small bathroom and my husband and I survived quite happily for years, even when his teenage daughter came to stay at weekends.

Here in Canada, we have two bathrooms upstairs and plan to put another in the basement as part of our ongoing renovation - why? We only use the main bathroom, which unlike UK has double sinks, but we feel we have to have a turd downstairs.

Strange but true!
It seems to be a disease here. I know, I just know, that when eventually get round to sorting out the basement laundry room a shower room/bog will be involved. That will leave us with a bog per person. Still, it will be nice to have a turd downstairs.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be a disease here. I know, I just know, that when eventually get round to sorting out the basement laundry room a shower room/bog will be involved. That will leave us with a bog per person. Still, it will be nice to have a turd downstairs.
No more hedging eh?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not allowed to use the bog in the basement, nor the main bathroom and have to confine my activities to mainfloor and en-suite. Something to do with not cleaning them myself!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No more hedging eh?
There is no guarantee of that

Anyways; the house is normally so full of sundry teenagers, some of which I recognise, that we could have 50 bogs and still need a hedge.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm not allowed to use the bog in the basement, nor the main bathroom and have to confine my activities to mainfloor and en-suite. Something to do with not cleaning them myself!
We have self-cleaning bogs, apparently.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways; the house is normally so full of sundry teenagers, some of which I recognise, that we could have 50 bogs and still need a hedge.
It was like that with us until last year. Now me and MrsCastrian have two bogs each. Joy.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's not because you don't put the seat down?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:12 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by flashman
Are you sure it's not because you don't put the seat down?
This thread is getting bogged down.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It was like that with us until last year. Now me and MrsCastrian have two bogs each. Joy.
Novo='2 bogs'-Castrian!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novo='2 bogs'-Castrian!
Bog off Newfie. You're just jealous.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Bog off Newfie. You're just jealous.
Techernikally I am Atlantic '2 Bogs plus a urinal in the garage' Expat. So why would I be jealous?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:31 pm
Born again atheist

Techernikally I am Atlantic '2 Bogs plus a urinal in the garage' Expat. So why would I be jealous?
Boggling!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:36 pm

A urinal in the garage? There's posh.

<why, in the name of God does someone need a bog in the garage?>
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Wales: Three bed detached bungalow, two receptions, large kitchen, medium garage, corner plot, 5 minutes to local pub/s. Smallish garden. Awsome views of the Blorenge and Sugar Loaf Mountains. Sold for what we paid for it summer 2006. No comment.

Near Ottawa: Three bedroom detached bungalow (master bed has ensuite with double bath), adjoining but seperate sitting, dining and breakfast rooms, medium kitchen. Huge basement wth workshop, family room, machine/storage room, fourth bedroom. Triple garage (four cars if you are a creative parker), nice sized garden without needing a Massey Fergusen to mow. Nice view of the Rideau river (it's on an island) when the trees are bare. It cost less than what we sold the Wales house for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.