Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Big shock with first wage slip.

Big shock with first wage slip.

Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big shock with first wage slip.

Originally Posted by dbd33
...Delivered blindfolded a person wouldn't be able to tell Surrey from Mississauga from Calgary....
But as soon as the blindfold it taken off:

Surrey - mountains very close.
Calgary - mountains in the distance.
Missassauga - mountains nowhere to be seen.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tribleedinumph
Hi Guys,

OH has just had first wage slip and tax deductions are huge!. Is it right, as have used the CRA website to double check, that over half your income is deducted in Tax, EI & CPP would seem 48% is take home (Ontario is district) This could be a show stopper for us
That sounds way too high, are there union dues? Or some other sort of withholding, e.g. for an RSP or RRSP?

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, taxation is definitely lower in Canada than it is in the UK, that's just a fact. Payroll taxes are way lower and the marginal rates of income tax are usually lower. It does depend on what your income is and which province you live in of course.

We always seem to get into comparisons with the cost of living but frankly I've given up bothering because its been so long since I lived in the UK it's a pointless exercise now. Way back when, the only things I noticed that cost more were car insurance (but not massively more like some people say on here) and booze is more expensive. Everything else is the same or cheaper (but that's without VAT - the VAT rate being 20% now in the UK that makes everything more expensive). I think the exchange rate makes things look more expensive because things have bigger numbers on them, but in reality that is not the case.

TV you could argue is more expensive because there are usually only six channels OTA in Canada but in the UK there is "freeview" that you only need a TV licence for, but that is more to do with a difference in technology and population density. If you're okay with six channels it is less expensive in Canada, no TV licence.

And it is much easier to shop in the US than to get to France for example, so you can also save money that way too.

I think part of it is that you buy things in a different way in Canada. On-line shopping is less popular because of freight costs and how slow they are to ship, its a question of shopping around in shops and maybe haggling with them, a skill that I think a lot of people have lost - but Canadians are really keen bargain hunters.

For example in Calgary, Visions Electronics and Soundsaround are usually much cheaper than Best Buy/Future Shop, but their locations are less obvious (which is part of why they're cheaper).
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve_
That sounds way too high, are there union dues? Or some other sort of withholding, e.g. for an RSP or RRSP?

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying in this thread, taxation is definitely lower in Canada than it is in the UK, that's just a fact. Payroll taxes are way lower and the marginal rates of income tax are usually lower. It does depend on what your income is and which province you live in of course.

We always seem to get into comparisons with the cost of living but frankly I've given up bothering because its been so long since I lived in the UK it's a pointless exercise now. Way back when, the only things I noticed that cost more were car insurance (but not massively more like some people say on here) and booze is more expensive. Everything else is the same or cheaper (but that's without VAT - the VAT rate being 20% now in the UK that makes everything more expensive). I think the exchange rate makes things look more expensive because things have bigger numbers on them, but in reality that is not the case.

TV you could argue is more expensive because there are usually only six channels OTA in Canada but in the UK there is "freeview" that you only need a TV licence for, but that is more to do with a difference in technology and population density. If you're okay with six channels it is less expensive in Canada, no TV licence.

And it is much easier to shop in the US than to get to France for example, so you can also save money that way too.

I think part of it is that you buy things in a different way in Canada. On-line shopping is less popular because of freight costs and how slow they are to ship, its a question of shopping around in shops and maybe haggling with them, a skill that I think a lot of people have lost - but Canadians are really keen bargain hunters.

For example in Calgary, Visions Electronics and Soundsaround are usually much cheaper than Best Buy/Future Shop, but their locations are less obvious (which is part of why they're cheaper).
Your living in dreamland mate... taxation is higher in NS than the UK.. as for TV.. OMG.. are you joking ?? its ok saying shopping in the US is cheaper, but what about the cost of getting there ?? Europe costs peanuts to get to... what about cell phone contracts and internet ?? are they comparable ?? No way sir... maybe its just NS ??
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:27 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clay
Your living in dreamland mate... taxation is higher in NS than the UK.. as for TV.. OMG.. are you joking ?? its ok saying shopping in the US is cheaper, but what about the cost of getting there ?? Europe costs peanuts to get to... what about cell phone contracts and internet ?? are they comparable ?? No way sir... maybe its just NS ??
In terms of raw income tax you'll pay about 2% more in NS over the UK on an "average" Canadian income (approx $41,000). You'll lose about 24% of your income in federal/provincial taxes in NS. For the same amount of money (converted), you'll lose about 22% off a UK income of approx 25k GBP.

This is pretty obvious, or so I thought, because taxes tend to be higher in the eastern provinces. Do the same calculation for BC and it'll be under 20%. In Ontario about 21%

At larger wages within Canada you see a clearer trend. Earn $120,000 a year in AB and your tax bill is about $32,000. Earn the $120,000 in NS and you'll get your eye wiped for an additional $7k. Put another way...you'll work for about 3 weeks more in NS for the same end result

Essentially it boils down to whether you make a rookie mistake and decide to pitch up in maritime province. Heaven forbid you decide to go to QC lol.

Last edited by orly; Dec 24th 2012 at 5:43 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orly
In terms of raw income tax you'll pay about 2% more in NS over the UK on an "average" Canadian income (approx $41,000). You'll lose about 24% of your income in federal/provincial taxes in NS. For the same amount of money (converted), you'll lose about 22% off a UK income of approx 25k GBP.

This is pretty obvious, or so I thought, because taxes tend to be higher in the eastern provinces. Do the same calculation for BC and it'll be under 20%. In Ontario about 21%

At larger wages within Canada you see a clearer trend. Earn $120,000 a year in AB and your tax bill is about $32,000. Earn the $120,000 in NS and you'll get your eye wiped for an additional $7k. Put another way...you'll work for about 3 weeks more in NS for the same end result

Essentially it boils down to whether you make a rookie mistake and decide to pitch up in maritime province. Heaven forbid you decide to go to QC lol.
but the cheap as chips house pricing is ok...lol.. thanks for that,people can be aware of what I've been trying to get through regarding the cost of living here...
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Quebec would, of course, be the sensible choice in financial terms if you had lots of children kiss kiss lol snugz.