The big move

Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Ashley91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The big move

Myself and my partner are looking at moving over to the Calgary area, I am just wondering on a few questions I can't seem to find the answers too on Google, we have two children (7 & 3) and currently there education is primary p3 after the summer and starting nursery after the summer, I was wondering if the a school class would roughly be the same in respect to what they are in just now. Also what the healthcare is like? we live in Scotland have the nhs which is great. And gun crime I am aware Canada and America are very different but I can't help but worry about guns and the crime rate with them, do the schools have a search policy like the Americans and gun drills for the kids incase there is a incident involving then? We don't want to live in the city looking about half an hour to hour and a half away. My biggest fear is snakes I cannot stand the thought of them being in my house It is something that niggl2a in my head and I would like to know the likely hood of seeing them on a day to day basis Is it much like Scotland where we have the odd one or two but they are in the hills far Way or I'm I looking at them being in my garden at...?It isn't enough to stop myself from making the move but it is deffiently something I need to prepare myself for, we don't want to live out in the sticks so I'm hoping this helps with that area of animals. Thanks in advance
Ps our education for school and high school is free is this the same or do you need to pay?
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The big move

Originally Posted by Ashley91
.... And gun crime I am aware Canada and America are very different ....
Gun crime in Canada is very different from in the US. Anything you read about gun crime in the US has no relevance to what happens in Canada.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

I am wondering if guns are as big a thing for the Canadians as they are for the Americans, over here we see very little guns and I am wondering if it is the same over there. Or if it is a day to day thing and people carry guns.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering if guns are as big a thing for the Canadians as they are for the Americans, over here we see very little guns and I am wondering if it is the same over there. Or if it is a day to day thing and people carry guns.
It's completely different - like I said, what you read about guns in America doesn't apply in Canada. Are there more guns in Canada than in the UK? Yes. Do some Canadians have guns for hunting? Yes. But there isn't a "gun culture" in Canada like there is in the US, and you won't see people "carrying guns", unless they are going hunting.

FWIW the "gun problem" in the US isn't at all like it is portrayed in the media anyway. I have been in the US for 15 years and I don't recall ever seeing anyone carrying a gun, other than when going hunting. .... And I live in a rural area in "The South" where guns are a big thing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 24th 2017 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, it's a difficult one to Google as you say the media etc hype things up and make it sound worse than it is, appreciate your response thank you
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I killed 2 snakes cutting the lawn yesterday. With my bare hands and a lawnmower.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

There was quite a long thread on this the other day, if you scroll down through the threads to the one called "Life in Alberta". There was some really good advice given on there before the OP descended into hysteria, so the last few pages are probably best missed, but lots of people chipped in with great advice
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

And what area do you live in? Was this just a once off or is this an on going thing you have in your garden?
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
There was quite a long thread on this the other day, if you scroll down through the threads to the one called "living in Alberta". There was some really good advice given on there before the OP descended into hysteria, so the last few pages are probably best missed, but lots of people chipped in with great advice
Thank you I will have a look
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
..... There was some really good advice given on there ..... the last few pages are probably best missed, .....
That should be standard advice for reading threads on BE.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Im from Edinburgh and I live in Calgary its a really nice city.I dont know much about the schools but high school education free.The health service here is similar to NHS (in Scotland),there is a new general hospital the Rockyview General Hospital and I have heard the childrens hospital is pretty good.People have guns in Canada but mainly for hunting,I wont lie to you there are some shootings but its usually between people who know each other,the result of an argument etc,I wouldnt worry about it ,its very different to USA.
I have lived 10yrs in Canda and never had a problem with snakes but I have lived in cities all of that time,dont think its a big problem ,maybe someone who lives in rural AB can help you better with that question.

Last edited by neilcumming; Jun 24th 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That should be standard advice for reading threads on BE.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Im from Edinburgh and I live in Calgary its a really nice city.I dont know much about the schools but high school education free.The health service here is similar to NHS (in Scotland),there is a new general hospital the Rockyview General Hospital and I have heard the childrens hospital is pretty good.People have guns in Canada but mainly for hunting,I wont lie to you there are some shootings but its usually between people who know each other,the result of an argument etc,I wouldnt worry about it ,its very different to USA.
I have lived in Canda and never had a problem with snakes but I have lived in cities all of that time,dont think its a big problem ,maybe someone who lives in rural AB can help you better with that question.
Thank you! It's good to hear the healthcare is similar to ours, I will try and find out someone about primary school but it's good to know high school is free, it's something I need to try and work on getting over but the thought isn't nice. How do you find the city to Edinburgh city? I hear people say a city is a city but we were in Toronto and it was nothing like Edinburgh it was a fantastic city full of life, but then again I don't live in the city here we stay in the borders so Edinburgh might be like that on a day to day basis.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

We're just north of Calgary. Kids start school here later than in the UK, my son turned 5 in March, and will only start kindergarten this coming September, that's half a day of free school every day. Until then you're looking after them or paying for childcare of some kind.
They do have lockdown drills in schools, including the elementary schools, and tornado drills.
We've been here 4 years almost and haven't encountered any snakes, even out in the badlands to the east, where the chances are greater.
Guns are here but are well controlled, and definitely more of a hobby thing than a self defense thing.
The children's hospital in Calgary is excellent, we've not had to make use of any adult hospitals yet, though the urgent care unit (think Casualty Dept in the UK) we've been to is good. We're PR so visits to it are free on our Alberta Health card.

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Jun 24th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary compared to Edinburgh is a modern city with lots of skyscapers and aparment buildings ,not a 12th century castle in sight !The Bow River runs through the city and this time of year people are rafting, canoeing and fishing the river.Some nice parks here too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.