Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Beware of buying a used car privately

Beware of buying a used car privately

Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of
Angry Beware of buying a used car privately

My friend bought a car last year, got all the paperwork done, got insurance, etc.

Last week, it was repossessed by bailiffs because the previous owner had an outstanding loan on it - and according to his lawyer there is nothing he can do. They won't even let him have his possessions back from inside the car. They also won't let him buy it in the auction as it is for dealers only.

The woman who sold it to him has moved to Toronto (we tracked her down via google and there is a news article on her losing her dog!).

So it really is buyer beware!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware of buying a used car privately

Originally Posted by allie2
Not really any different from the UK.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/am...ARFAX-9677.htm provides a measure of peace of mind.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Need to use something like Carfax.com or similar. Kind of like doing a title search etc. when buying a house, make sure you aren't going to end up with problems. that said I keep excluding private sellers from my searches on autotrader etc. I figure as long as it is a decent price it is worth getting something from a reputable dealer with testing and maybe a warranty etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allie2
My friend bought a car last year, got all the paperwork done, got insurance, etc.

Last week, it was repossessed by bailiffs because the previous owner had an outstanding loan on it - and according to his lawyer there is nothing he can do. They won't even let him have his possessions back from inside the car. They also won't let him buy it in the auction as it is for dealers only.

The woman who sold it to him has moved to Toronto (we tracked her down via google and there is a news article on her losing her dog!).

Common sense surely to do checks on a car whether buying privately or from a non franchised dealer. There have been loads of consumer TV programs on this over the years and reports from the BBB. Even buying from a used car dealer it is still buyer beware. Few dealers offer warranty on used cars, they will sell you one though!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Common sense surely to do checks on a car whether buying privately or from a non franchised dealer. There have been loads of consumer TV programs on this over the years and reports from the BBB. Even buying from a used car dealer it is still buyer beware. Few dealers offer warranty on used cars, they will sell you one though!
It's a bit easier to sue a dealer than it is to sue someone that had buggered off though
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's a bit easier to sue a dealer than it is to sue someone that had buggered off though
Suing them, perhaps getting a judgment as well, enforcing it and collecting is another thing all together. On top of that many people don't know or feel comfortable using the courts or cannot be bothered.

Marketplace and the APA have been all over this for years and Vancouver is one of the worst areas for unscrupulous dealers.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
Need to use something like Carfax.com or similar. Kind of like doing a title search etc. when buying a house, make sure you aren't going to end up with problems. that said I keep excluding private sellers from my searches on autotrader etc. I figure as long as it is a decent price it is worth getting something from a reputable dealer with testing and maybe a warranty etc.
No need to exclude the poor private seller, in Ontario you can get a Used Vehicle Information Package (which a private seller is supposed to provide) which should indicate any liens etc. on the vehicle.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

I have always found that the warranty from some dealers is pretty useless if you ever needed it. Whether private or dealer it pays to check it out.

www.carfax.com/Canada

Happy motoring
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:33 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
No need to exclude the poor private seller, in Ontario you can get a Used Vehicle Information Package (which a private seller is supposed to provide) which should indicate any liens etc. on the vehicle.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

I have always found that the warranty from some dealers is pretty useless if you ever needed it. Whether private or dealer it pays to check it out.

www.carfax.com/Canada

Happy motoring
Actually if you don't have the information pack you won't be able to register the vehicle. The seller has to provide it. I saw some really dodgy cars from dealers here and was much happier to buy private. Having said this, the law has changed this month and there is considerably more protection from a dealer, and also I think, once HST comes in, the tax advantage of buying privately will go.