Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Voltage Converter?

Best Voltage Converter?

Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Voltage Converter?

I'm looking to buy a load of plug-in step-up voltage converters for stuff like my cordless phones, Hi-Fi and electric shredder.

I assume that a 110-220Vac 45W version should suffice? There seem to be lots out there, many with dubious far eastern provenance. As I don't want to risk burning down my new wooden Canadian house with a cheapo make can any of the electrical gurus on the Forum recommend a decent make of VC, or at least what I should look for on the item to make sure it's safe/complies with Canadian electrical regs?

Thanks,

S.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Voltage Converter?

Originally Posted by spooooook
I'm looking to buy a load of plug-in step-up voltage converters for stuff like my cordless phones, Hi-Fi and electric shredder.

I assume that a 110-220Vac 45W version should suffice? There seem to be lots out there, many with dubious far eastern provenance. As I don't want to risk burning down my new wooden Canadian house with a cheapo make can any of the electrical gurus on the Forum recommend a decent make of VC, or at least what I should look for on the item to make sure it's safe/complies with Canadian electrical regs?

Thanks,
S.
Don't think your cordless phones will work, I think the systems are different.

Is it really worth bringing a paper shredder?

You may well be correct about any or all not complying with Canadian standards which could mean insurance implications.

Have a look here perhaps it might answer some of your questions. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:11 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Narnarvish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have been in Ontario for two years now, soon after arriving I bought two 1000w transformers from voltageconverters.com. I have been using them since then to power my UK TV, stereo, playstation, PC & power tools with no problems.
I got rid of most of my power tools before I left the UK at much less than thier value, because all the advice I found on this site suggested they would not work. I wish I had'nt!!

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:16 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a convertor from voltage convertors too, and over a period of a year or so power tools and a stereo have all expired. The convertor's bulky and fine if you don't need to move it around much. If portability for power tools in particular is needed, it's more hassle than it's worth, IMO.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Don't think your cordless phones will work, I think the systems are different.
Not sure what you mean here, can you explain? If they are plugged into a Canadian phone socket with the correct cable they will work, surely? If you are talking about frequencies between the handsets and base unit, aren't these locked to the base unit?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by spooooook
Not sure what you mean here, can you explain? If they are plugged into a Canadian phone socket with the correct cable they will work, surely? If you are talking about frequencies between the handsets and base unit, aren't these locked to the base unit?
My understanding is the line plug to connect your UK phone to a wall socket is different to North American phone plugs.

I could be wrong suggest some research.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

All the cordless phones I have seen in both countries have different ends to them. They are a very similar style, but they are a different size. I THINK that ours have both ends identical but smaller. So if the Brit phones have "plug ins" that are both bigger, wouldn't you need one that fits the Brit phone at one end but is smaller to go into the phone jack in Canada at the other? Maybe there is such a thing - I really don't know.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I remember now - ours are more square.

The Brit ones are rectangular. Perhaps you can buy an adapter though. However, the voltage or whatever its called would be different and you can buy five phones in a set for not very much as Costco or Walmart so its hardly worth the bother.
Attached Thumbnails Best Voltage Converter?-canadian-phone-jack.jpg   Best Voltage Converter?-aa_1572_p150w.jpg  
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:01 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Best Voltage Converter?

Originally Posted by Purley
I remember now - ours are more square.

The Brit ones are rectangular. Perhaps you can buy an adapter though. However, the voltage or whatever its called would be different and you can buy five phones in a set for not very much as Costco or Walmart so its hardly worth the bother.
I bought an adaptor (UK toUS) from ebay quite cheap.I haven't tested it yet, but i'm sure it'll be fine.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is the line plug to connect your UK phone to a wall socket is different to North American phone plugs.

I could be wrong suggest some research.
the plug is different but that’s it
You don't even need an adaptor just buy a new lead

the only phones that won't work over here are the BT made ones which use the UK three wire system to ring. (even then they work but just don't ring)
Every body else built the phones (in china/far east) to the 'international' two wire standard used in the US

what you may find is that the radio frequency the phone uses operates in an illegal frequency for your region, that can get you into much more trouble

Last edited by MikeUK; Jun 22nd 2009 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
the only phones that won't work over here are the BT made ones which use the UK three wire system to ring. (even then they work but just don't ring)
I think this is what I may have been thinking about.

It's a long time since anyone has mentioned bringing phones.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:39 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long time since anyone has mentioned bringing phones.
Sign of the times Steve!!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingle
Sign of the times Steve!!
More that I'm too tight to buy new ones .....