Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best time of year for a Canada reccie?

Best time of year for a Canada reccie?

Old May 7th 2009, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best time of year for a Canada reccie?

Maybe the bug season has to be experienced? That's the worst bit for me, humidity and the bugs.

We had been a few times in the winter, MOH had worked in Antartica for 3 summers so we knew about cold. What you can't experience on a short reccie is the relentless winter, how it wears everyone down. This last one seemed to go on forever even though we had less snow than the previous winter.

A reccie can only give a quick flavour, and most people are optimistic and think they can overcome everything so they have limited value. Optimism is good of course, but I reckon you should just come when you can get the cheapest flights and accommodation.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Maybe the bug season has to be experienced? That's the worst bit for me, humidity and the bugs.

We had been a few times in the winter, MOH had worked in Antartica for 3 summers so we knew about cold. What you can't experience on a short reccie is the relentless winter, how it wears everyone down. This last one seemed to go on forever even though we had less snow than the previous winter.

A reccie can only give a quick flavour, and most people are optimistic and think they can overcome everything so they have limited value. Optimism is good of course, but I reckon you should just come when you can get the cheapest flights and accommodation.
Its a good point about the mozzies and black fly. If the OP is considering heading for the boonies like us, the bugs need to be experienced more than the winter perhaps, but if hes heading to concreted over bits of Toronto then they are less of a factor.

Generally speaking accomodation will be offseason in February, baring Toronto hosting the all star game or something like that on the particular week you plan to visit.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ackershly, in Toronto & the nearby GTA, bugs aren't that big a deal. We're south of blackfly range and while there are more than a few mozzies, a couple of citronella candles on the patio serves most of the time.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ackershly, in Toronto & the nearby GTA, bugs aren't that big a deal. We're south of blackfly range and while there are more than a few mozzies, a couple of citronella candles on the patio serves most of the time.
oooo, am so jealous. There are blackfly around here already. Biting, taking great chunks out. Rural life eh?
Old May 7th 2009, 2:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

oooo, am so jealous. There are blackfly around here already. Biting, taking great chunks out. Rural life eh?
Weve had the skeeter vac out for almost a month now! The yard is OK...but Im not venturing into the woods without OFF!
Old May 7th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

BradleyBunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm.... Not thought about the bugs What do I need to know about these then? Where is south of black fly turf?

Spent a week on west coast of Scotland one summer and was completely fed up with winged bitey monsters by the end of it.

Go on, give me the worst!
Old May 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BradleyBunch
Hmmmm.... Not thought about the bugs What do I need to know about these then? Where is south of black fly turf?

Spent a week on west coast of Scotland one summer and was completely fed up with winged bitey monsters by the end of it.

Reccie in Vancouver instead
Old May 7th 2009, 3:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I would say anywhere south of about Barrie and west of about Pickering. No doubt someone will tell us if I'm wrong.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

The scotish midge is nothing compared to the ontario mosquito, and black fly and deer fly although shortlived are just nasty.

Enter DEET in the forum search page and you will get an idea.

In the city they are not bad though, its once you get into the bush at certain times of year that you need to be prepared or face the concequences.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

I found this folk song about black fly

This is the chorus and some of the verses

It was black fly, black fly everywhere
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, a-crawlin' in your hair
A-swimmin' in the soup, and a'swimmin in the tea
Oh the devil take the black fly and let me be

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly, no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones
In north on-tar-i-o-i-o, in north on-tar-i-o

Black toby fell to swearin' 'cause the work went slow
And the state of our morale was gettin' pretty low
And the flies swarmed heavy, it was hard to catch a breath
As you staggered up and down the trail talkin' to yourself
Old May 7th 2009, 3:32 pm
Born again atheist

I found this folk song about black fly

This is the chorus and some of the verses

It was black fly, black fly everywhere
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, a-crawlin' in your hair
A-swimmin' in the soup, and a'swimmin in the tea
Oh the devil take the black fly and let me be

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly, no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones
In north on-tar-i-o-i-o, in north on-tar-i-o

Black toby fell to swearin' 'cause the work went slow
And the state of our morale was gettin' pretty low
And the flies swarmed heavy, it was hard to catch a breath
As you staggered up and down the trail talkin' to yourself
Yes, Peterborough is like that.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, Peterborough is like that.
Yep, that's why we moved out
Old May 7th 2009, 3:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
We are not "poms". That's an Oz thing. You apparently are one though. And since you probably have never been to Toronto how would you know what the heat and humidity is like !
You are a Pom IF you still cling onto memories of the 'homeland' and feel that the grass (or at least part of it) is greener over there.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:59 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You are a Pom IF you still cling onto memories of the 'homeland' and feel that the grass (or at least part of it) is greener over there.
Then I'm not because I don't. I've been here too long for that.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:01 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Then I'm not because I don't. I've been here too long for that.
Thats fine .

'Seriously' though Pommie (or more correctly Prisoner Of Mother England) means just that, regardless of where you are you still pine for the Old Country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.