Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best suburb of toronto to live in?

Best suburb of toronto to live in?

Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Debbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best suburb of toronto to live in?

Hi everyone, we are moving to Toronto in February and will at first live close to downtown with the view to buy a bigger house somewhere in the suburbs. But not sure where to live. We don't want a massive commute as that is one of the things we are leaving behind in London. So what is everyone opinions? Oakville? Markham? Vaughan? Pickering?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best suburb of toronto to live in?

Faced with this situation, I moved out of downtown Toronto to the Beach. That worked well.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Debbieken is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to live around there to start but want to move fuether out for a pool, yard etc
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:11 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbieken
We are going to live around there to start but want to move fuether out for a pool, yard etc
Depends where work is ? if commute time is a factor.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbieken
Oh. I did move out there to get space, for a backyard trampoline and such. I had children though, they needed education and socialization and so on so I didn't want to strand them in some concrete wilderness. If you're just a couple and want to have lots of stuff then the considerations are different.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Buttons is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested too, ignore if considered hijacking but we'll potentially be commuting to York University. Very early days but want to research as much as possible.

Oh and we have two elementary school aged kids so good catchment areas are of interest.

I'll introduce myself properly when I know if the whole job offer thing is for real or an illusion.

Crikey, can't believe I joined 5 years ago back when I thought Orlando was a good idea and never posted!!!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Buttons
Interested too, ignore if considered hijacking but we'll potentially be commuting to York University. Very early days but want to research as much as possible.

Oh and we have two elementary school aged kids so good catchment areas are of interest.

I'll introduce myself properly when I know if the whole job offer thing is for real or an illusion.

Crikey, can't believe I joined 5 years ago back when I thought Orlando was a good idea and never posted!!!
Richmond Hill?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:26 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe somewhere like Markham, Woodbridge, Vaughan - alot of the areas directly around York Uni are not nice, pretty rough - so if a 20-30 min commute is possible, i'd do it.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Definitely hijacking now but thanks, the friend who is offering me the job is in Caledon East and sings it's praises but she doesn't have kids so her priorities might be different and not sure we could afford it either.

My commute here is up to an hour so anything this side of 60 mins is fine to be honest.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:36 pm

Definitely hijacking now but thanks, the friend who is offering me the job is in Caledon East and sings it's praises but she doesn't have kids so her priorities might be different and not sure we could afford it either.

My commute here is up to an hour so anything this side of 60 mins is fine to be honest.
If you're willing to commute up to an hour then there are more choices like Aurora. If you like older neighbourhoods, parts of Etobicoke are lovely too, quite a few choices available. Good luck with the job!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Wow, there is an actual place actually called Buttonville. We have a winner, if I need any more signs than the cyclist earlier today in a Canadian jersey that refused to get out of my way that it's the right move for the family then it's a whole ville named after me!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Richmond Hill?
Very droll.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

We live in the Beach and love it. OH commutes downtown in 30 mins and there's loads of stuff for kids here. However, if you're after a big backyard, huge house etc then be prepared to pay mega bucks. Our house is lovely but modest with a tiny backyard but this is the price you have to pay for having the beach at the end of your road and loads if great shops, restaurants etc. I really like the look of Danforth, Riverdale and Leslieville too and will prob try to buy somewhere out there if we decide to stay on (AND if Canada will let us of course)
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:54 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, there is an actual place actually called Buttonville. We have a winner, if I need any more signs than the cyclist earlier today in a Canadian jersey that refused to get out of my way that it's the right move for the family then it's a whole ville named after me!
Someone needs to tell you that cyclist have the right of way...it not a good time in Canada to knock a cyclist over

Yes there is a Buttonville, comes with its own airport to serve the 30k popln. perhaps it's an extension for those that couldn't afford to live in Markham?

No one has mentioned Jane and Finch yet
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
We live in the Beach and love it. OH commutes downtown in 30 mins and there's loads of stuff for kids here. However, if you're after a big backyard, huge house etc then be prepared to pay mega bucks. Our house is lovely but modest with a tiny backyard but this is the price you have to pay for having the beach at the end of your road and loads if great shops, restaurants etc. I really like the look of Danforth, Riverdale and Leslieville too and will prob try to buy somewhere out there if we decide to stay on (AND if Canada will let us of course)
But you don't work at York U. That's an impossible commute. As my learned friend dbd33 has said, take a serious look at Richmond Hill, south of Elgin Mills and west of Yonge.

If you can afford somewhere just north of Hwy 7, the commute would be even shorter than mine from the Mill Pond, which is only 25 minutes my door to my office door. (Out of rush hour usually). Since you mentioned a pool, I have one as well as a yard the size of the proverbial football pitch.

Buttonville is the name for an area which is now part of Markham and for a non-commercial airport there. The airport will be sold soon to developers. Keep away.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 10th 2012 at 8:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.