Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

yvette4uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

White & co, were fab,
we were living in France, had all our goods shipped back to the UK (removals guy was fantastic) sat in storage for three months (free), then shipped to the door (Belleville) 40' container for 5000 GBP.
Agents at both ends always available, quick to respond
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

mullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nicemullagintyre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Juliet C
This is such a useful thread, we are moving out to Vancouver in June from Cheshire, we don't have many household or personal goods but my husband needs to take his work tools (he is a arborist)
We went with White & Co and similarly didn't bring a full household-worth of stuff. Cost around £1500 to share a container - takes marginally longer to get there I believe (we're still waiting, but have only been here a week!) but hey-ho.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

This is such brilliant thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am moving to Toronto from London with my Mum and we are basically taking most of our 4 bed house contents except electrical goods. Including 2 double beds, 2 single beds, 2 2 seater sofas, big sofa with 2 chairs, sideboard, 2 upstanding units, mahogany dining set with 6 chairs, clothes, bookc and Cds. My mum has alot of Royal albert China, Crystal and small ornaments from her travels, so she is a bit worried about.

Last week I got a quote from PSS for £4,087 and I get £25kg air freight free. The chap who came round was very friendly and very helpful. The head office phoned after a few days asking for feedback. They seemed to think I could get everything in a 20 ft container but the chap who cam to my house said I would have to give up the sideboard or a single bed.

Yesterday, The Anglo Pacific chap came round, he was very nice, very smart, friendly and abit more professional and was good at advising me on organising things. I am waiting for a quote which I should get by Monday/tuesday.

Anywhow after reading this thread, I am not so sure about these two . I will be taking more quotes from GB Liners, they seem to have a positive reception, Pickfords and, and Fox.

P.S
Most of my dvds are PAL, do you think its worth taking our TV and dvd player as well, I could use transformer in Toronto ?

Also, sorry to digress abit, I want to buy an internet radio so I can listen to the radio stations in the UK ( i miss talksport (premier league update and BBC radio 5 live, yes, I know I am sad )but don't always want to listen via the computer all the time, shall I buy one London or in Canada ?

Cheers everyone

Last edited by Maria_747; Mar 12th 2011 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Just got my quote from Anglopacifi for a 20 ft container. £4,360
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:42 am
Just Joined

gengo is an unknown quantity at this point

GB Liners did an excellent job when we used them to ship our container to Toronto. They used Armstrong Moving and Storage Ltd at the Canadian end who were also highly professional and efficient.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

gengo,

I am getting my quote from GB linersne on 28th March. I am seriously inclined to go for them. They seem overall to have had more favourable reviews on here.

Many thanks
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maria_747
This is such brilliant thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am moving to Toronto from London with my Mum and we are basically taking most of our 4 bed house contents except electrical goods. Including 2 double beds, 2 single beds, 2 2 seater sofas, big sofa with 2 chairs, sideboard, 2 upstanding units, mahogany dining set with 6 chairs, clothes, bookc and Cds. My mum has alot of Royal albert China, Crystal and small ornaments from her travels, so she is a bit worried about.

Last week I got a quote from PSS for £4,087 and I get £25kg air freight free. The chap who came round was very friendly and very helpful. The head office phoned after a few days asking for feedback. They seemed to think I could get everything in a 20 ft container but the chap who cam to my house said I would have to give up the sideboard or a single bed.

Yesterday, The Anglo Pacific chap came round, he was very nice, very smart, friendly and abit more professional and was good at advising me on organising things. I am waiting for a quote which I should get by Monday/tuesday.

Anywhow after reading this thread, I am not so sure about these two . I will be taking more quotes from GB Liners, they seem to have a positive reception, Pickfords and, and Fox.

P.S
Most of my dvds are PAL, do you think its worth taking our TV and dvd player as well, I could use transformer in Toronto ?

Also, sorry to digress abit, I want to buy an internet radio so I can listen to the radio stations in the UK ( i miss talksport (premier league update and BBC radio 5 live, yes, I know I am sad )but don't always want to listen via the computer all the time, shall I buy one London or in Canada ?

Cheers everyone
Maria_747, dont take your TV or DVD they probably wont work as a transformer changes the voltage not the frequency so most thing work but DVD players arent one of them, you can easily get a multi reigeon DVD player. and internet radio wont matter it comes down to the fact that not all radio stations stream outside the uk , the BBC are going to be allowing this
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rosspcs
Maria_747, dont take your TV or DVD they probably wont work as a transformer changes the voltage not the frequency so most thing work but DVD players arent one of them, you can easily get a multi reigeon DVD player. and internet radio wont matter it comes down to the fact that not all radio stations stream outside the uk , the BBC are going to be allowing this
We run ours on a hertz converter small box like a mobile phone paid around £50.00 also look at the back of your tv ours states 120-220 volts you dont need a transformer just a change of cord.
I hope this helps.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do bring the TV, or other electrical goods, House of 220 on Gerrard St in Little India, Toronto, keep all manner of convertors and provide media format conversion services. Mind, if you walk in with things that turn and/or heat up, they will giggle at you before offering a convertor that costs three times the price of the appliance.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

It is an excellent thread.

We are close to a quote.

Reading every single comment, here is what I conclude so far.

1. GB Liner seems the best, so it is highly possible to use it.
2. PSS, seems cheaper, but many bad experience, definitely avoid
3. EVL, competitive, but seems very poor customer service
4. Moving Partnership seems quite helpful.

20 container about £4000

We will get GB Liner, Robinsons International, Moving Partnership, Fox's International to quote.

Thank you
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:34 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Hey

Just starting looking into the whole shipping thing and wondering if the sizes are just 20ft and 40ft containers?

We are a young couple and dont have loads and loads of stuff and wont be taking everything, I would say we would need a 20ft container max.......can you get less if required?

Prob looking at 2 x standard 2 seater sofas, coffee table, tv unit, TV, Futon, and say 20 standard boxes, as a rough indication
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

You can get part containers as well ... so if you have less than a 20' container and want to save, then that might be an option. It might be cheaper, and a company will advise you on all of this, but it may also take longer as the company will need to fill the rest of the container and this might take some time - but its an option.

We have decided to go with Pickfords; Scotland to Toronto with us and some friends re-locating at the same time, sharing a 40' with some storage at each end for just under £3000 each - move out of houses here separately, and moving into new places separately.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:32 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3
Hey

Just starting looking into the whole shipping thing and wondering if the sizes are just 20ft and 40ft containers?

We are a young couple and dont have loads and loads of stuff and wont be taking everything, I would say we would need a 20ft container max.......can you get less if required?

Prob looking at 2 x standard 2 seater sofas, coffee table, tv unit, TV, Futon, and say 20 standard boxes, as a rough indication
as furries said you can share a 20' container , also you could always look at air freight not sure how much it costs but it might be worth a look . Good luck
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:53 am
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Thanks I have GB liners coming round next week to see what my options are......20ft will be more than enough I think but we'll soon see LOL
Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

wavetossed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3
With that little stuff, seriously consider get rid of everything except the boxes and use air freight for them. By the way, the TV will not work in Canada.

Elsewhere on the forum I read about someone who found that air freight was cheaper than part container, for just sending a few boxes of stuff so do get a price quote. As for furniture replacement, you can look at Canadian websites such as Ikea, and price it out. Make sure that you know how much furniture costs in Canada so that you can make a valid price comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.