Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The best posts EVER...

The best posts EVER...

Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The best posts EVER...

Originally Posted by Purley
What kind of jobs do these kids get when they can't even speak the language properly?
Retail...er, that is beyond many of them.

I was at a major pharmacy chain today and what I purchased came to $4.77 including tax. I gave the teenage girl $5.02 and she was completely stunned why I gave her that.

"Why didn't you just give me $5' she asked.

"Well if I give you a $5 bill and 2 cents in change, I'll get 25 cents back in change', I replied.

"wow, how did you figure that out' she said.

At that point I was completely stunned that she couldn't figure this out and left the store.

Don't they teach them anything like this at school these days.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog

Don't they teach them anything like this at school these days.
Yes they do, but unfortunately it sticks with very few of them.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Emigration is like marriage. The characteristics that you find enchanting when you're dating may be the very ones that drive you nuts later on.

In some cases, I've seen the transformation unfolding before my very eyes on this forum.

I recall forum members who loved the relaxed, laid back nature of Canadians when they visited Canada on holiday. But, once they were living here and were waiting for someone to get back to them on something they'd asked, they were tearing their hair out. The list of things that annoys some expats is very long.

But then there also are some expats who love Canada.

When you emigrate, there are several possible outcomes, and it's not easy to predict them.

If you want to do some due diligence, I recommend a reading of the articles in the Canada Challenges section of the Wiki.
x
Hi Judy,

Thanks for such an honest and friendly reply, minus the profanity. As I've been reading the threads for a while I know I'm not being singled out ! At least I hope not, wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Bazzz

Will check out the wiki you suggested.

TracyS
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Yeah, but you're a ****ing idiot, so who gives a shit what you think?
For once bazzzzzz I agree with you, she missed the point entirely. But then, a woman...
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
For once bazzzzzz I agree with you, she missed the point entirely. But then, a woman...
Well it's about time you showed up again.

Start a thread and then wander off into oblivion caring not a wit for the mayhem you may have caused.

Typical, bloody typical.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:49 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happy hatter
Remember the manners, maketh the man!
Bollocks.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What is culture?

Why is it that Britons like to think they have the market cornered this commodity?

If you are going to use football and cricket to define culture then Canadians can use hockey.
For me culture comes from the diversity of ideas that are best expressed on BBC radio4. Doing a mostly solitary job I would lose the will to live without it. When I lived in South Africa in the early 80's they had SABC which was virtually the same. I got by in the States in the late 80's because they have NPR-- BUT I did not find too much on the airways in Victoria during our short trip last year this does worry me. Do tell me there is something worth listening to. Commercial stations need not apply!
Oh! & iaink what about Gordon Lightfoot?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Personally think UK has been ruined by years of uncontrolled and illegal immigration which is putting unbearable stress on the country's resources and services. That coupled with a corrupt government and rising crime is a good enough reason to trade our so called culture for Canada's, diverse or otherwise.

Or do I have a rose-tinted view of Canada because I found the people to be friendly and helpful to a fault and the scenery breathtaking?

TracyS
Bazzz,

Do you have to be so nasty?

If you don't agree with the post why not retort with something more balanced and less offensive? Remember the manners, maketh the man!.

HH
Bazzz's response was no more than TracyS deserved for her amazingly stupid post. ANYONE who cites distaste at "immigration" as a reason for leaving the UK and emigrating elsewhere needs a swift and hefty kick up the backside.

"Too many immigrants, corrupt government... oooh I need to get out of here and go somewhere where they're friendly and the scenery is nice." Oh do grow up.

And in Canada there are no immigrants and those in government are whiter-than-white...?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:00 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sjt53
Do tell me there is something worth listening to. Commercial stations need not apply!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

Also, someone here (a Canadian I think) appears to be listening to the World Service over the internet.

Mrs Bazzz loves Radio 4; I think it's a bit overrated.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well it's about time you showed up again.

Start a thread and then wander off into oblivion caring not a wit for the mayhem you may have caused.

Typical, bloody typical.
I honestly thought DBD's posts were very well put, but I considered his arguments OTT before I got here. I've lived here for 9 months, which of course is no time at all, but I can now understand where he was going.
The course of this thread shows how friggin' good the posts were.

Before anyone DARES to suggest it...(and that includes you HWP), I am NOT sucking up to DBD. Nor do I want his children. Or chickens.

Also, apologies to DBD for talking about him in the third person.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
I honestly thought DBD's posts were very well put, but I considered his arguments OTT before I got here. I've lived here for 9 months, which of course is no time at all, but I can now understand where he was going.
The course of this thread shows how friggin' good the posts were.

Before anyone DARES to suggest it...(and that includes you HWP), I am NOT sucking up to DBD. Nor do I want his children. Or chickens.

Also, apologies to DBD for talking about him in the third person.
Christ, have you been taking sensitivity training, or what?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

I agree with your post entirely; my comment was directed towards the language used by Bazzz and not the message. The site is geared towards serving the expatriate community after all.

HH

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Bazzz's response was no more than TracyS deserved for her amazingly stupid post. ANYONE who cites distaste at "immigration" as a reason for leaving the UK and emigrating elsewhere needs a swift and hefty kick up the backside.

"Too many immigrants, corrupt government... oooh I need to get out of here and go somewhere where they're friendly and the scenery is nice." Oh do grow up.

And in Canada there are no immigrants and those in government are whiter-than-white...?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your post entirely; my comment was directed towards the language used by Bazzz and not the message. The site is geared towards serving the expatriate community after all.

HH
Eh?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Christ, have you been taking sensitivity training, or what?
Weeelll....sortttt ovvvvvv....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Post Re: The best posts EVER...

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I said uncontrolled and illegal immigration. Immigration in general is not a bad thing.

I didn't realise emigrating made people so rude and offensive to complete strangers. Maybe you and Bazzz should move back to the UK. You'd fit right in on the c2c to Fenchurch St

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.