Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The best posts EVER...

The best posts EVER...

Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best posts EVER...

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What is culture?

Why is it that Britons like to think they have the market cornered this commodity?

If you are going to use football and cricket to define culture then Canadians can use hockey.
Cricket, Rugby and Footy have been adopted around the world...(ice) Hockey, not so much. In fact even lowly (field) hockey has more global impact I suspect, in terms of numbers of nations and players competing across the continents.

The british dont have a cultural monopoly, no one said they did did they? I think the french and italians, russians, chinese, japanese, even the americans would be able to lay a claim to a vast cultural impact over the years, whereas I really dont see Canada in that league, it simply does not have either the history or the impact to lay claim to that.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Cricket, Rugby and Footy have been adopted around the world...(ice) Hockey, not so much. In fact even lowly (field) hockey has more global impact I suspect, in terms of numbers of nations and players competing across the continents.
Whether or not a sport has been adopted around the world hardly defines culture.

The british dont have a cultural monopoly, I think the french and italians, russians, chinese, japanese, even the americans would be able to lay a claim to a vast cultural impact over the years, whereas I really dont see Canada in that league, it simply does not have either the history or the impact to lay claim to that.
You missed the sarcasm and the context of the BE forum.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not a sport has been adopted around the world hardly defines culture.
One way of looking at the "validity" of a particular culture is to look at the take up rate elsewhere....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:42 pm

One way of looking at the "validity" of a particular culture is to look at the take up rate elsewhere....
So it doesn't count then that hockey has been taken up as you put it, in most of Europe and the former soviet bloc, north America, China and Japan.

List of International Ice Hockey Federation member nations

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This statement appears to be content free.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Post Re: The best posts EVER...

Originally Posted by steve666
These snippets are from a thread named 'why Canada', or something, a couple of years ago, which I copied off because I liked the content. I could be wrong about both the title and/or the time, but anyway that's immaterial.

The point is, I've read this again for the first time since the original post, and finding I agree with the content far more than I did then. I was surprised at this, I guess my cynicism is running deeper than I imagined...

Anyway without further ado...and without any edits, deletions or changes of any kind, I bring to your palate...

DBD3....<clapping and waving of hands, whistling, shouting and generally making a lot of noise>

...And his amazing wordage.

It's different in that Canada doesn't have fashion so there's no stampede to buy clothes or CDs. However, in the case of people moving from the UK, I think money is critical to the motivation. Canadian houses are cheap so people who move can buy more; not necessarily more of the same things but more land and lots of gas powered things; trucks, speed boats, skidoos, snowmobiles, ATVs and so on (what they unironically call an "outdoor lifestyle"). What's sacrificed for that is culture, history, family and appreciation of language so I think there's a case that emigration to Canada is the choice of the shallow and materialistic person.
Do you and the author of this thread really think that most people who migrate to Canada are shallow and materialistic? Why did you emigrate?

I do mean that Brits give up their history and culture. That's not something people know they have until they come here and lose it, not that it's specifically a British problem. I know some Koreans, for example, feel the same way. In the context of children raised here I think it unfortunate, for example, that they have no appreciation of why old paintings and books have significance to people who haven't even seen the paintings or read the books. It's a subtle thing but raising children in the shallowness of Canadian society is, I think, an unfortunate trade for having more gadgets.
I will be happy to leave behind the "chav" culture that is springing up all over the UK. Do you really think Canadian society is shallow. Why are you still there?

I don't think Canada has a diverse culture. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver include a diversity of cultures, the extent to which they could said to be Canadian is arguable, but most of the country is stunningly homogenous; it's easy to find people who have never seen anyone who is a different colour.

I realise, of course, that my points conflict to a degree, people in the cities likely haven't heard of, for example, Shakespeare, because he didn't write in their language and people in rural areas haven't heard of him because they don't get cable. A country with both immigrants and rednecks does have some diversity; however they're hundreds of miles apart and that's not diversity in the sense that India, for example, has diversity of languages and religions.

I suppose the problem I have is that, as far as I can see, the understandable lack of promotion of British culture in Canadian schools isn't balanced by a promotion of a Canadian, or any other, culture. Canadian culture is defined in the negative, it's simply "not American", and so there's a void. I suggest that "Canadian Idol" stands as the exemplar of things Canadian. American Idol is a massively successful American show based on a British one and it's widely watched in Canada. Canadian Idol is a lame local variation produced to comply with local legislation. It's like the American show but not so slick. Canadians don't know who's on Canadian Idol and who wins doesn't much matter.

A move from being British to being Canadian seems to me to be a move from being at the heart of English based culture to being on the far fringe. On the other hand, to promote appreciation for the "old country" in one's children risks alienating them from their environment. That leads to them wanting to take their masters in Europe and send you the bill.
Personally think UK has been ruined by years of uncontrolled and illegal immigration which is putting unbearable stress on the country's resources and services. That coupled with a corrupt government and rising crime is a good enough reason to trade our so called culture for Canada's, diverse or otherwise.

Or do I have a rose-tinted view of Canada because I found the people to be friendly and helpful to a fault and the scenery breathtaking?

TracyS
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

So it doesn't count then that hockey has been taken up as you put it, in most of Europe and the former soviet bloc, north America, China and Japan.

List of International Ice Hockey Federation member nations
Its a start, but its hardly soccer now is it. I cant imagine participation at an "african nations of hockey" tournament would be very strong. Italy France and Spain arent really rocking the hockey world either come to think of it, and in reality internationaly hockey has been dominated by the same few premier nations for ever, and the vast majority of elite players come from the same 5 or 6 countries.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:11 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracys
Personally think UK has been ruined by years of uncontrolled and illegal immigration which is putting unbearable stress on the country's resources and services.
Yeah, but you're a ****ing idiot, so who gives a shit what you think?

***TEMP BANNED*** - don't like the post either don't respond or do so without being nasty Ray1968

Last edited by ray1968; Jun 16th 2008 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:16 pm

Its a start, but its hardly soccer now is it. I cant imagine participation at an "african nations of hockey" tournament would be very strong. Italy France and Spain arent really rocking the hockey world either come to think of it, and in reality internationaly hockey has been dominated by the same few premier nations for ever, and the vast majority of elite players come from the same 5 or 6 countries.
It's a tad easier to prepare a field for football in the "warmer nations" than to build an ice rink.

You would have to admit that.

Besides there has to be more to culture than sport, this is only one aspect of culture and I would hope a small at that.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Besides there has to be more to culture than sport, this is only one aspect of culture and I would hope a small at that.
Granted, but Hockey is often bought up as an example of "Canadian Culture", as it was in this thread.....

There is just very little that is distinctively Canadian, as opposed to north american, or able to be traced back to the first nations, who lets not forget made little distinction between what is now Canada and the USA.

Whats left, Tim Hortons and Mounties eh!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by bazzz
Warm and friendly as ever Bazzz. Someone piss on your cornflakes or something?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Post Re: The best posts EVER...

Are you always this rude or are you just having a bad day?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:31 pm

There is just very little that is distinctively Canadian, as opposed to north american, or able to be traced back to the first nations, who lets not forget made little distinction between what is now Canada and the USA.

Whats left, Tim Hortons and Mounties eh!
I'm loath to admit that but admit it I must.

Once again what defines culture?

We are more talking more about Canadian identity not necessarily culture. As much as some would like to argue otherwise hockey is very much part of Canadian culture.

For DBD33's benefit, there is more to hockey than the NHL. But I'm sure he knows that and just likes to stir the shit.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 16th 2008 at 9:34 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Or do I have a rose-tinted view of Canada because I found the people to be friendly and helpful to a fault and the scenery breathtaking?
Emigration is like marriage. The characteristics that you find enchanting when you're dating may be the very ones that drive you nuts later on.

In some cases, I've seen the transformation unfolding before my very eyes on this forum.

I recall forum members who loved the relaxed, laid back nature of Canadians when they visited Canada on holiday. But, once they were living here and were waiting for someone to get back to them on something they'd asked, they were tearing their hair out. The list of things that annoys some expats is very long.

But then there also are some expats who love Canada.

When you emigrate, there are several possible outcomes, and it's not easy to predict them.

If you want to do some due diligence, I recommend a reading of the articles in the Canada Challenges section of the Wiki.
x
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

happy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud ofhappy hatter has much to be proud of

Bazzz,

Do you have to be so nasty?

If you don't agree with the post why not retort with something more balanced and less offensive? Remember the manners, maketh the man!.

HH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.