Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best places to live in Canada

Best places to live in Canada

Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:36 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best places to live in Canada

I haven't read the survey yet so I stand corrected if Saskatchewan is mentioned as a decent place to live. Having just returned from my reccie, imho it should be on the top ten. The country has its own unique beauty/friendly people even in Regina/outside of Regina there is virtually no crime -people still leave their doors unlocked!/absoulutely no traffic problems/roads good/Regina airport is a breeze to find and to transit through/cost of living cheap/house prices still very reasonable/some towns the cost of lots is dirt cheap/weather extremes not too bad.
Saskatchewan seems to be overlooked even by tourist companies and it is very unfair.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Here is an interesting study. Perhaps the big cities are not all that bad after all

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...628?hub=Canada

Dear oh dear, CTV airs the most awful nonsense. Of course if there is one murder in a small town the murder rate for that small town that year is very high. Overall though rural places are safer than urban ones, I'd think it's only drug related crime that's more common in small towns than large ones.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Dear oh dear, CTV airs the most awful nonsense. Of course if there is one murder in a small town the murder rate for that small town that year is very high. Overall though rural places are safer than urban ones, I'd think it's only drug related crime that's more common in small towns than large ones.
Yes dbd33 we also found this to be true in Saskatchewan. Although the difference of some kids smoking pot in Rouleau and the likes of 14 year old kids hooked on cocaine which they buy in our local high school is not the same for us. The worst thing is thats how it started 15 years ago here too so perhaps the problems will get worse.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
Yes dbd33 we also found this to be true in Saskatchewan. Although the difference of some kids smoking pot in Rouleau and the likes of 14 year old kids hooked on cocaine which they buy in our local high school is not the same for us. The worst thing is thats how it started 15 years ago here too so perhaps the problems will get worse.
What drugs do the kids do in Saskatchewan? Obviously they have weed but what serious drugs, did they have oxycontin there or only meth?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

What drugs do the kids do in Saskatchewan? Obviously they have weed but what serious drugs, did they have oxycontin there or only meth?
What? So all of a sudden you're a chemist? (Said in a jewish tone with with hands outstretched and shoulders hunched up, like what Shylock did).

Last edited by steve666; Jun 29th 2007 at 11:42 am. Reason: dunno
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by steve666
What? So all of a sudden you're a chemist? (Said in a jewish tone with with hands outstretched and shoulders hunched up, like what Shylock did).
I should be a chemist? Me? How should I be a chemist? With what I should pay for chemisting lessons?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I should be a chemist? Me? How should I be a chemist? With what I should pay for chemisting lessons?
You should pay with a pound of your flesh already. Oh boy what am I to do with him God?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by steve666
You should pay with a pound of your flesh already. Oh boy what am I to do with him God?
You think I can lose flesh? Out here, in the cold, I should do without? It's not enough my own flesh and blood ignore me all morning but I should freeze too? On dank luftmensch.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:08 pm

dbd - I have no idea - not into drugs meself so dont know anything about them, thank God.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
Now is everyone a jamaican or would you include other islands like Trindad & Tobago and I think I remember reading that there is almost 50 -50 African - Asian origins. Like you can't be bored enough to look up the facts.
Tobago is predominantly black. Trinidad is a real mix. African, Indian sub-continent, Chinese, Portuguese, Brit, you name it.

It's not always easy to guess someone's ethnicity from their name (although people with Scottish surnames will like as not be black).
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

On a serious note, is Oxycontin the latest recreational drug. A friend of a freiend over there took about 4 of them as a one off apparently because they were temporarily upset or depressed. But I thought they were strong pain killers?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's not always easy to guess someone's ethnicity from their name (although people with Scottish surnames will like as not be black).
Granted. I worked with a Chinese Jamaican called Joan Ho who married a Greek guy and took his name, I'm not sure that their children would be able to guess their own ethnicity. In the same place there was a white Jamaican called Smith. Still, someone in the GTA with Singh in his name is probably not a Jamaican citizen.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
On a serious note, is Oxycontin the latest recreational drug.
It's not though. It's a traditional recreational drug in the east, "hillbilly heroin", while in the west the equivalent was crystal meth. Meth has moved steadily east while oxycontin has fallen out of fashion somewhat (I think they made it harder to reformat for a high). I wondered about Saskatchewan as I don't know if it's east or west in terms of drug fashions.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

It's not though. It's a traditional recreational drug in the east, "hillbilly heroin", while in the west the equivalent was crystal meth. Meth has moved steadily east while oxycontin has fallen out of fashion somewhat (I think they made it harder to reformat for a high). I wondered about Saskatchewan as I don't know if it's east or west in terms of drug fashions.
Ok, i'll be straight-up, it was my canadian boyfriend who took them (I was too embarrassed to say), he subsequently stayed out all night during my last short vacation over there in Vanc and said he couldn't come back til morning due to the high. I'd never heard of the pills before & didn't realise they are equivalent to heroin (Wow!) Well, i'm actually happy and relieved that i'll be calling it a day on our 2 yr relationship when I see him week after next.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
Ok, i'll be straight-up, it was my canadian boyfriend who took them (I was too embarrassed to say), he subsequently stayed out all night during my last short vacation over there in Vanc and said he couldn't come back til morning due to the high. I'd never heard of the pills before & didn't realise they are equivalent to heroin (Wow!) Well, i'm actually happy and relieved that i'll be calling it a day on our 2 yr relationship when I see him week after next.
It's serious shit and a big problem in the east :

http://www.health.gov.nl.ca/health/p...contininterim/

I don't know that it's worse than meth though. At least with oxycontin there would be less impurities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.