Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best place for New Immigrants in Ontario with young family

Best place for New Immigrants in Ontario with young family

Old Aug 17th 2018, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Sheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Best place for New Immigrants in Ontario with young family

Hi all, I have 2 points I would like some feedback on if possible please.

My family and I are considering relocating to Ontario. We previously lived in Toronto but with a young family now we are looking at somewhere more relaxed and more importantly not as expensive as Toronto. We did strongly consider Ottawa but have backed out of this option after I spent sometime in the National capital region. I have heard very good reports about Grimsby. Does anyone have any experience of it? Work wise for me it should be no problem securing work in nearby Hamilton etc.

We are also expecting our 3rd child who does not hold PR. The rest of the family are PR/Canadian citizens. Does anyone have experience of sponsoring a dependent?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place for New Immigrants in Ontario with young family

Originally Posted by Sheedy
We are also expecting our 3rd child who does not hold PR. The rest of the family are PR/Canadian citizens. Does anyone have experience of sponsoring a dependent?

Thanks in advance
Um, where will this child be born? If you are in Canada & he/she is born here, they will be a Citizen no?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond reputeSheedy has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently back in UK... We had considered moving pre baby but as we would not have OHIP etc we have decided to stay at home for now. Would be easier to have baby born there but its more practical to stay here for now.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Godzuke is an unknown quantity at this point

well I live in London and we have a pretty strong expat community and houses are a lot less expensive. Ourselves we live in Thorndale just outside of LOndon
Old Aug 17th 2018, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks I had considered London previously but I should have said I am more focusing on GTA/Golden Horseshoe areas. But house prices being less sounds good!

1. Because we do have some friends in various places in the area, so less of a cold move and 2. I have some solid work options
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:29 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer: wherever (a) you can afford to buy or rent a suitable property, and (b) you can find a job that pays enough to support your lifestyle.

I don't know Grimsby (except to drive through if the QEW is at a standstill on the way to or from Niagara/Buffalo). Sure, it'd be fair enough if you can get into Hamilton for work; I certainly wouldn't want to have to get over the Burlington Skyway bridge twice a day every day to drive nearer to Toronto. To the uninitiated, it doesn't appear to be a place that has too much to recommend it, in much the same way that you wouldn't leap up to encourage somebody set up home in Staines, say, or Chigwell - if you don't mind my asking, what sort of information is in the "very good reports" that you've heard about it?
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who live in Grimsby - who like it, but there's not a lot there - the Legion seems to be the main place of entertainment! I also know people who have lived in Stoney Creek - who seem to prefer it to Grimsby; and people who have lived in Binbrook - but there's not much there either apart from new housing developments - they moved into Hamilton / Dundas /Ancaster within 3 years as there's not a lot of infrastructure or amenities in Binbrook. The 50 point conservation area is quite nice, but again, not much there apart from the marina and grass / trees and a few pathways.

What kind of place are you hoping for? Are you going to need public transport for day to day living apart from getting to work?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies all. I have spoke to a few people that live in Grimsby and they love it and the area. I am looking for somewhere affordable to rent and eventually buy. We would also buy a car so public transport is not a total requirement but it would be nice to have. Grimsby was never somewhere on my radar on quite recently. I am very open to location anywhere in GTA. I have looked at East side like Ajax/Pickering for example.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

I am looking for a nice community which would be great to raise my young family! I have heard mixed reports of Hamilton, I knows it is a little sketchy perhaps but any feedback on it too?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
and people who have lived in Binbrook - but there's not much there either apart from new housing developments - they moved into Hamilton / Dundas /Ancaster within 3 years as there's not a lot of infrastructure or amenities in Binbrook.
My S-I-L and family live in Binbrook and they like it. Way too sterile for me and the vast majority of people there want a big house without the big city big house prices. No public transit which causes lots of 2 and 3 car families. That doesn't bother my S-I-L and family as they hate public transit and I'm not aware of them ever really taking it so the sprawl is fine with them and they don't see any downside in needing 3 cars for a family of four to get around. Binbrook also doesn't seem very diverse. I imagine that once those teenagers who grew up there get jobs etc they won't return.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

We would definitely be hoping to be a 1 car family. If I was able to bike to work that would be great. That would lead me to consider Hamilton or another larger place than Grimsby. I have solid work opportunities in Toronto (not considering due to rental and buyers market) and Hamilton. But at same time I am no way tied any location. We did try Ottawa but for various reasons the longer harsher winter being one we back tracked. I also like being close to Toronto for all it has to offer!
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

To add my wife would focus on the kids initially to help them settle. We have 3 kids so oldest would be kindergarten age when we move so we will need childcare also for the younger 2. I would imagine our income would be in and around 90-100k
Old Aug 18th 2018, 1:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking for a nice community which would be great to raise my young family! I have heard mixed reports of Hamilton, I knows it is a little sketchy perhaps but any feedback on it too?

There's nothing wrong with Hamilton - I've lived here for nearly 20 years! There are MANY threads on Hamilton here The thing with Hamilton is to pick the right areas.. and avoid the not so great ones (and even those aren't bad). Hamilton Mountain has bigger plots and better houses, generally; there's good infrastructure / public transit / libraries / bike trails /shopping / parks / activities - and downtown (into the City centre) is only a 5-10-15 minute bus ride away.

If you are hoping to use public transit then I'd suggest looking at the public transit maps - there is no Public Transit in Grimsby and a very limited service to Stoney Creek (if it's still running).

Rentals in Hamilton have increased over the last couple of years - what range are you hoping for and what is it that you need - type of house / apartment / bedrooms / garden / quiet road / park nearby / you get my drift, lol.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2018 at 1:44 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ok good to know. Hamilton in my experience always got bad press from people in Toronto but there are definitely many parts of Toronto that are sketchy!! House wise, we will need 3 bedroom with a 4th basement option would be great. Price wise around 1600-1800
Old Aug 18th 2018, 1:48 pm
Banned

Ok good to know. Hamilton in my experience always got bad press from people in Toronto but there are definitely many parts of Toronto that are sketchy!! House wise, we will need 3 bedroom with a 4th basement option would be great. Price wise around 1600-1800
Ah, that's Torontonians for you, lol - now they are moving here in droves because they have been priced out of Toronto!

You should easily be able to find a house with those requirements on Hamilton Mountain for that price - or Ancaster / Dundas. I can guide you on areas to look at and where I would personally not choose to live, lol.

Do a quick search for Hamilton with my username and Canada and 'posts' and you will find lots of posts on the subject together with videos. There's even a wiki article!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.